Advice on thru-wall & ceiling speaker cable running

Hi Guys,

I'm about to venture on wiring up outdoor speakers and need to run cable from AV through internal single brick wall, then up into ceiling then drop down again outside under eves.  Any thoughts on best penetration face plates, whether to run one continuous cable all the way, or break it up with plugs and faceplate connectors in wall and ceiling etc. Whether to drop out through eves outside, or better to drop down in double brick wall cavity and come out through brick wall etc ?? Any pros/cons/lessons learnt/links to good products etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jimmy

1 hour ago, JimmyDee said:

Hi Guys,

I'm about to venture on wiring up outdoor speakers and need to run cable from AV through internal single brick wall, then up into ceiling then drop down again outside under eves.  Any thoughts on best penetration face plates, whether to run one continuous cable all the way, or break it up with plugs and faceplate connectors in wall and ceiling etc. Whether to drop out through eves outside, or better to drop down in double brick wall cavity and come out through brick wall etc ?? Any pros/cons/lessons learnt/links to good products etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jimmy

You're better keeping a continuous run.  Once you use faceplates and connectors then you're increasing your chances of introducing issues such as crackling and static.  The only time I'd break the cable would to be to introduce a volume pot on the wall for outside speakers - but with zoning capabilities on amps/AVR's, and even B switching to some degree, you likely won't need to break the cables.

I have outdoor speakers installed under the roof line of the alfresco, so inside the eaves, and just run a single cable for the left and a single for the right, dropping out of the sheeting via a drilled hole and directly into the speaker.

• Like 2

Complete cable is best................but if you do join, solder joints are essential.

As for the drop, it depends how well hidden the cable will be.

I prefer the cavity drop if possible but it's a lot of extra work.

If the speaker is close to the eve it may hide the external drop.

• Like 1