Leon The Professional

this turned up last week and been wanting to check out,

35082303373_f4b8ccfa16_c.jpg

then saw this note from zombie over at avs

"

"Leon UHD HDR - WOW!!
I had this waiting for me after just returning home from a business trip. holy **** does Leon look out of this world good!!! They did an excellent job with this UHD HDR transfer and the WCG is amazing.  

The detail is also remarkable.. look at the detail in the building on the rooftop training scene, noticeable difference vs the BD.

I have 5 projectors here all from different manufacturers, each have their own nuances. What matters most to me is what's on the screen and there is no other projector in this price range that is going to produce this kind of overall picture quality. 

WCG is a huge part of the UHD format and the RS600 nails it with full P3 support. Leon's plant never looked so real... smile.gif

Thanks again to Manni, Arve and @HDfury 
for adding a massive 2nd life to these JVC's just when the UHD HDR content is getting good"

so thought better check out what all the fuss is about.

so whacked in last night and got upto the bit where mathilda is at the door requesting Leon to let her in...

when wife walks in saying...ah you are watching this ? can we go back to the start again... oh yeah why not and we end up watching to the end :)

what an amazing film i am reminded. to have not one but 3 charecters with such amazing acting in the one movie. natalie portman in the role of mathilda is truly amazing. she is 12 ! and then there is gary oldman gosh what a performance and Jean Reno that really makes the role of the professional. 

a good article here, about 20 things about this film...

http://www.zimbio.com/Beyond+the+Box+Office/articles/UeZ2d6FD2ub/20+Things+May+Not+Know+L+Professional

look forward to catching Fifth element on uhd when it lands and will have to check back on la femme nikita also when get a chance ! 

ps i very much loved what UHD brought to Leon. the colours are so real, there are scenes e.g. outside the milk bar faces etc the 4k master has really brought a new life to this film. also the 3D audio (atmos) also is a great bonus...things like times when in the subway... in the street. all the commotion going on in the apartment raid scenes and such...

• Like 3

Quite a few scenes were cut from the original worldwide release and I think it was only the original French release that contained the full besson vision. Most of it related to the Portman character and what she portrayed. The American studio release was the most significantly altered.

9 minutes ago, guru said:

Quite a few scenes were cut from the original worldwide release and I think it was only the original French release that contained the full besson vision. Most of it related to the Portman character and what she portrayed. The American studio release was the most significantly altered.

The uhd release thankfully comes with both editions   !

we watched the full version :)

Ahh ok, yes, sexual tension between those two would ruin the innocent relationship they had. That film does not need to go there. 

Edited by Sime

One of my favourites also. Paid a fortune for this Japanese version in the 90's. The first of the un-cut releases. Being familiar with the original Aus. release this was a bit of a shock really pushing the boundaries of a child /adult relationship.

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

One of my favourites also. Paid a fortune for this Japanese version in the 90's. The first of the un-cut releases. Being familiar with the original Aus. release this was a bit of a shock really pushing the boundaries of a child /adult relationship.

oh wow thats quite an edition to have picked up TB. it too me some getting of this 4KUHD too as not sold locally here and had to source from canada with a $20 just for shipping ! thank good ness the disc itself was reasonably priced. anyhow was worth it for the watching :)

1 hour ago, Max054 said:

Would love to experience your awesome rig sometime A

thankyou max, you are always welcome :)  

• Like 1

I just watched the international version, noticed a few newer scenes I don't remember, but not 20mins worth. 

I just love the facial expressions under the masks of the swat team. 

Great flick. 

Edited by Sime

a few screen shots form leon. i think one of the attraction with the film is there is a bit of grit...

35867588351_c9f9d8cc3d_h.jpg

35829712782_35147a61ca_h.jpg

35829771832_e32216d7cb_h.jpg

35189775843_3973c3b34c_h.jpg

and also some moments of softness,

35611852490_e9d54df30b_h.jpg

35959298526_8c7e0f24bb_h.jpg

35959309036_fa1f1e98c9_h.jpg

35867830251_ab6237f010_h.jpg

amazing movie,

hopefully the screen shots show that the restoration has been kind to the grain. keeping the look of the original movie and yet have it looking best I've seen it with the 4k restoration and bringing it to UHD blu-ray,