Hi Friends.

This is the first time I am looking to setup a home theatre system and I really need genuine advice.

My main priority is great sound. I do have knowledge about some systems and how they work but not very technical. All I need is a great sound with my Panasonic Viera Plasma TV 55in HD to give me a theatre experience.

Looking at multiple speakers at every corner of the room, by the way it is a big room with high ceiling without attic. I really don't know where to start, I have been thinking of this for many years but didn't have money to spend. Now, I have saved some but still limited with budget.

I also like it to be connected to my Keyboard and to play music through my laptop or phone or USB. Great sound for music songs is a priority.

Sorry for asking toot much with limited budget ($300-500) but I am really excited that finally I am looking to get my own system.

Open to buy used if they are worth and warranty is not an issue. you can understand it is hard earned money.

Thanks a lot in advance.

S. Lateral

Snoopy8   

Welcome to the forum...

Your budget is very limited and you should consider getting something second hand. With big room and a desire for music as well, I think you should start with a pair of left and right speakers and an amplifier. When you have more funds, then you build up your system, get more speakers etc..

29 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Welcome to the forum...

Your budget is very limited and you should consider getting something second hand. With big room and a desire for music as well, I think you should start with a pair of left and right speakers and an amplifier. When you have more funds, then you build up your system, get more speakers etc..

Hi Snoop

Thank you for quick reply.

How much do you think I should increase my budget to get a decent setup to start with. I am alright with second hand. Are there any disadvantages with second hands to sound quality.

Please suggest brands and models of amplifier and speakers.

cheers

Hi mate

with your budget id drop the whole thing into two front speakers, on here you'll find some great 2nd hand stuff.

you can find an av reciever on ebay/gumtree for next to nothing as they get superseeded all the time. 

Find one that has the right inputs you need (hdmi/arc/optical ect) and just plan on 5.1 or so.

set the speakers up to work as stereo for the moment then try to save up for a center, sub and rears.

you really want those two front speakers to be as good as you can afford.

hard to mention brand names off the top of my head at that price.

Al.M   

Here's one way with used gear on gumtree from a cheap skate like me:

Lots of 10 yr + old 5 channel AV amps for around $60-100 such as Marantz, Sony, NAD, Panasonic X-R series digital highly recommended, all of these were $500-2000 rrp in their days. There is/was a real nice XR 700 in gumtree for $120.

Front speakers, say a anything from $50-150 standmount two way design with 5-7 inch woofers ported or sealed design such as Wharfdale Diamonds, Yamaha Ns 05 etc, which were $300-600 rrp 

Subwoofer 10-12 inch for around $50-60 like a Sony SAWM40, which are very common, good sound and reliable $400rrp

Used X-box One or 360 Console for around $50-150, which will be your games, CD/ DVD, airplay, movie download or Netflix, Foxtel, free YouTube and internet media link

All total $210 - $460

For speaker cabling and interconnects Bunnings electrical wire or search dumpsters for TV coax and DIY rca interconnects from Jaycar, $20.

Edited by Al.M

Snoopy8   
4 hours ago, superlateral said:

How much do you think I should increase my budget to get a decent setup to start with. I am alright with second hand. Are there any disadvantages with second hands to sound quality.

Please suggest brands and models of amplifier and speakers.

cheers

Suggest you go to your local (which city?) retailer and bring some of your favourite music to listen to some starter systems (Tip: listen at about same volume when comparing systems).  This will give you an appreciation of the $$, audio quality and brands.  Once you have done that, you can then decide whether to double/triple your budget and get a new multi channel starter system or start smart and get a good quality second main speakers plus AVR, which will far exceed the audio quality of those starter systems. With second hand, there is always a small chance that it will fail. 

Al.M   

There will be no difference in sound with used equipment, just make sure it works before buying it. Check tweeters and woofers are working by playing music, switch on off amps see how they behave, turn volume and dials, switch modes etc.

If they fail at $50 -100 not much lost or fix them for $100, still about $2k ahead vs new.

Wow! I am so overwhelmed with responses. Thanks Andrews, AI.M and Snoop.

I am in Melbourne South east. Searched gumtree but nothing local. There is one I found on gumtree but it is located in SA. I don't know whether links are allowed here if not please let me know I'll omit. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/panorama/home-theatre-systems/dream-acoustics-x900-speaker-system-yamaha-htr-5540-reciever/1153335470

This deal seems good but located south of Adelaide and shipping or pick up may be difficult. But I have started looking on these lines.

I happen to have a subwoofer - Sony Xplod subwoofer 1000w lying around from my old car which I have never used because there were no cables with it. May be I can use it now. Currently it is my lamp table :D

Thank you for details AI.M, I am alright with old gear no issues. Because I want to try and know the technicality behind the systems before investing more money in it. 

I also had Xbox 360 but I gave it away. Anyway, I still have a DVD player with usb and hdmi input and MIC. Also Wii console but useless now since they have stopped support for youtube app on it from last month.

Alright, time to buy some stuff. I'll keep on posting links or details for advice before commiting to buy.

Cheers

Al.M   
9 minutes ago, superlateral said:

Wow! I am so overwhelmed with responses. Thanks Andrews, AI.M and Snoop.

I am in Melbourne South east. Searched gumtree but nothing local. There is one I found on gumtree but it is located in SA. I don't know whether links are allowed here if not please let me know I'll omit. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/panorama/home-theatre-systems/dream-acoustics-x900-speaker-system-yamaha-htr-5540-reciever/1153335470

This deal seems good but located south of Adelaide and shipping or pick up may be difficult. But I have started looking on these lines.

I happen to have a subwoofer - Sony Xplod subwoofer 1000w lying around from my old car which I have never used because there were no cables with it. May be I can use it now. Currently it is my lamp table :D

Thank you for details AI.M, I am alright with old gear no issues. Because I want to try and know the technicality behind the systems before investing more money in it. 

I also had Xbox 360 but I gave it away. Anyway, I still have a DVD player with usb and hdmi input and MIC. Also Wii console but useless now since they have stopped support for youtube app on it from last month.

Alright, time to buy some stuff. I'll keep on posting links or details for advice before commiting to buy.

Cheers

The Sony Xplod is for car use so may not work too well for house and you will need a sub plate amp for it. Dream Acosutics are the real cheap end but should be ok as first cheap system. The risks of used at the cheap end are acceptable but more risk of stuff not working. Cheap subs can to fail more often with amps buzzing and humming sometimes.

42 minutes ago, Al.M said:

The Sony Xplod is for car use so may not work too well for house and you will need a sub plate amp for it. Dream Acosutics are the real cheap end but should be ok as first cheap system. The risks of used at the cheap end are acceptable but more risk of stuff not working. Cheap subs can to fail more often with amps buzzing and humming sometimes.

This one available locally not far from my place $475.00 Negotiable. 

" 8 items ( 1x MARANTZ RECEIVER, 2x YAMAHA NS-50F FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS, 3X YAMAHA NSE56 SURROUND SPEAKERS, 1X FRONT SPEAKER, 1x YST -SW315 SUBWOOFER) MARANTZ SR4500 7.1 AV RECEIVER (BLACK)"

or

WHARFEDALE FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS/SURROUND SOUND/MUSIC/ENGLAND

$280.00

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dandenong-north/home-theatre-systems/wharfedale-floor-standing-speakers-surround-sound-music-england/1153901147

I am in love with wharfendale speakers just at first sight even without hearing them :love

There are so many used available at reasonable price. I am such an idiot to wait so long, should have come here earlier.

Edited by superlateral

Al.M   

The first lot is very good deal, it's got everything you want and reasonable quality. The Marantz AVs get good reviews. 

Also, check online the AV amp specs and rear connections will suit what you need. HDMI connection was less common in the past, but there should adaptors or can get by on RCAs and old school connectors.

Snoopy8   

Go and visit Selby and audition some of the starter systems. Having done so, it will give you a good reference point for budgets, audio quality and some of the brands. 

Within your budget, do you want 2.0, 2.1 (left and right plus sub) or 5.1?  For the same $, you can get better 2.0 speakers than 5.1.  While it is nicer to listen to surround for movies, will the speakers be good enough for your music? 

Most importantly, let your ears be the guide....

Al.M   

The first one for $200 and the Denon amp is likely to be better sounding than Onkyo amp.

Edited by Al.M

7 hours ago, Al.M said:

The first one for $200 and the Denon amp is likely to be better sounding than Onkyo amp.

Thank you.

Just bought this one yesterday in $180 and it really sounds awesome. Except bit of hummm in subwoofer, may be some setting issues.

Bought a used chromecast as well in 30 bucks and optical cable from jbhifi. Now just need rear surround speakers.

Thank you for ideas and suggestions, My lounge room is totally transformed, love the sound especially central speaker.

Al.M   

Subwoofer hum could be some connection or other equipment interference so try disconnecting things to isolate what is causing it or it could be that the old subwoofer amp is issues. That is one of the risks in used old hifi and it's more expensive to fix than to find another used subwoofer.

Does it hum when idle or on auto off mode?

Edited by Al.M