Panels vs Dynamic (cone) Speakers

I'm totally convinced he is right.

So much so that I'm going to slash my wrists whilst listening to my favourite playlist on my distorted low fidelity Maggie 20.7's!

After all, how can one argue with a guy who was in the studio when they mastered "Sledgehammer" and therefore knows exactly how it should sound. I can almost visualise Peter Gabriel saying "can we make that sound totally crap please because I want everyone who hears this to cringe in pain". :thumb:

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

Runs for cover now. Can I hide behind my 1.7i's?

All loudspeakers are a compromise whether cone, planar, horn, omni. You simply choose the flavour that suits you (are you a chocolate or hazelnut ice-cream eater?). I recently went from cone to panel but do miss the thwack of dynamic bass but prefer the rest.

Accuracy be damned. Enjoyment of what you are listening to is to be encouraged.

Keith

Robin

If you ever get the time Mate, you can come to the Tassie Lounge and try both types of systems. Both a panel and cone type set up are in service (plus a number of systems)

9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I'm totally convinced he is right.

So much so that I'm going to slash my wrists whilst listening to my favourite playlist on my distorted low fidelity Maggie 20.7's!

After all, how can one argue with a guy who was in the studio when they mastered "Sledgehammer" and therefore knows exactly how it should sound. I can almost visualise Peter Gabriel saying "can we make that sound totally crap please because I want everyone who hears this to cringe in pain". :thumb:

You forgot this:sarc:

In any case and notwithstanding your or mine or anybody else's opinion, I think he makes a well reasoned argument and he is obviously well qualified to do so, certainly more than me and I assume you as well.

We all have our prejudices and sonic religions and if there is one thing I have learned after so long in this hobby is that, on issues of substance ( not power cords or magic stones ) nobody is ever always right or always wrong. You like panel speakers, I do not, somehow life goes on and respecting one another should be the rule yeah?:)

• Like 3

I like panels, I like boxes - I have both. I kind of agree on some of what he has to say: i do like the decay chatecteristics he talks about which seem to mimic the natural decay of acoustic instruments - fortunately I listen to a lot of acoustic music. I do miss some bass depth and wallop occasionally.  

But sweetness isnt a word I would associate at all with my Maggies  - they aren't 'sweet' at all. 

He also fails to mention the characteristic I love about my panels - their transparency and the wonderful soundstage they generate. Neither my VAs nor my B&Ws - ageing certainly but considerably more expensive in relative terms in their day - can get close. They certainly do other things better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, expat said:

Accuracy be damned. Enjoyment of what you are listening to is to be encouraged.

Keith

That pretty much sums up my feelings too.   I don't often want a full orchestra or band in my living room - too tiring;  I just want it to sound nice.....  Pipe and slippers, me.

I'm sorry to have opened up old wounds on this never-ending subject (apologies to Bud) , but couldn't find any reference to Rod's mini-essay on SNA (I only hunted for 15 minutes....)   In terms of opinions being like A***holes & everybody having one, I just felt it might be useful to show one from a person who may, perhaps, know a tad more about the subject than most mug hifi punters such as meself?  Yes/no?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robin-hobart said:

I just felt it might be useful to show one from a person who may, perhaps, know a tad more about the subject than most mug hifi punters such as meself?  Yes/no?

Yes.

30 minutes ago, robin-hobart said:

That pretty much sums up my feelings too.   I don't often want a full orchestra or band in my living room - too tiring;  I just want it to sound nice.....  Pipe and slippers, me.

I'm sorry to have opened up old wounds on this never-ending subject (apologies to Bud) , but couldn't find any reference to Rod's mini-essay on SNA (I only hunted for 15 minutes....)   In terms of opinions being like A***holes & everybody having one, I just felt it might be useful to show one from a person who may, perhaps, know a tad more about the subject than most mug hifi punters such as meself?  Yes/no?

Yes. Always good to get an educated perspective on things.

Dr. Rod is a scientist, he uses theory and listening. He is talking about accuracy not better or worse.

That's up to individuals to choose what they prefer in their listening rooms.

I've heard Legend Speakers a few times over the years and I think his biggest mistake is they are priced far too low for the construction and sound they offer.

• Like 1

• Volunteer

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/18-general-website-items/products-main-page/68-esl-speakers-white-paper

DISTORTION

The voice coil of a magnetic speaker only drives one point (the apex of the cone or the edge of a dome tweeter). Because cones and domes are not perfectly rigid, the driven surface flexes and distorts the sound. By contrast, an ESL's diaphragm is driven uniformly over its entire surface. There is no distortion of the surface to alter the character of the music.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

Someone's read Dr Crawford's paper :-)

Sledgehammer is cool but there are so many other great recordings as well to listen over time by panels and coil driven speakers each system has it's strengths and flaws. Integrating the both for entertainment sake is worthwhile they work well together

I have Sanders Electrostatics, which are an ESL panel playing down to 172 HZ and a transmission line woofer covering everything below.

I agree with the argument of the possibility of Bass cancellation depending on the width of the panel.

The rest of the paper.....well cones have major issues too so I believe it's 6 of one or half dozen of the other. 

I am planning swap out my transmission line woofers for sealed boxes. The new boxes are under construction. 

Once built I will be raising the crossover to 315HZ so that should address the issue of bass cancellation.

Also  I prefer the sound of cone speakers for bass frequencies.  

Very keen to hear how they sound.  

• Like 3

I'm suffering from, an overdose of flat eath effects......might jump the fence onto some nice efficient horns or Kevlar compression drivers....any suggestion?  I need my hair on my neck to float and oscillate with the vibrating waves....this must have a huge tick in the box...:P