Recommendations for a Pre/DAC with XLR outputs and volume control

I'm looking for recommendations on a Pre Amp/Dac with XLR outputs for use with powered monitors at around the $1500 price point. Should have USB and Optical as inputs.

So far the best thing I've seen/heard on my last visit to Brisbane was the Oppo HA 1 but I'm unlikely to use it as a headphone amp. A nice but not essential feature would be streaming as well

That's easy!!!!!!!

Used BENCHMARK DAC2......end of story!!!!:thumb:

3 differently configured models to choose from too.

I use the "HGC" model with my ATC actives..........superb unit.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac2-hgc-da-processorheadphone-amplifier

Here's a nice and cheap "D" model.........

'http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649356244-benchmark-dac2-d-silver-ships-free-in-us/

Edited by JohnL

Or you could just buy the oPPo 205 & that covers everything you want. I reckon they are an absolute bargain & have really surprised me with the sound & picture. Before this I had the 95, although it was good, the 205 is so versatile & just plain better all round

7 hours ago, AussieMick said:

Graham Slee Majestic. Three coax, three toslink, 1 USB and one line level analogue input. 1 fixed level line out and one balanced out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice but a bit too expensive new.

3 hours ago, Bell Ringer said:

I've been looking around the same price points and the NuPrime units look interesting. One for sale in the classified a Dac 9. The 10 is more expensive but comes with a headphone amp if that works for you.

Interesting.  Dont need the headphone amp. Will have to check reviews as it doesnt seem to be available retail in Australia

6 hours ago, bzr said:

Or you could just buy the oPPo 205 & that covers everything you want. I reckon they are an absolute bargain & have really surprised me with the sound & picture. Before this I had the 95, although it was good, the 205 is so versatile & just plain better all round

I'd be paying for a disc spinner/video player that would never be used. I'd also like a real volume knob. 

14 hours ago, oldrose said:

I'd be paying for a disc spinner/video player that would never be used. I'd also like a real volume knob. 

Youll be doing yourself no favours if a "real volume knob" requires a tick of approval.

@bzr  has a valid point that shouldn't be dismissed.  At the $2k AU  there is nothing that comes close to this device.  You get the latest ESS 9038 dac chip that is the top of the range delta sigma,  has BB balanced opamps and has both RCA & XLR outputs, has a headphone jack that can drive a Beyerdynamic T90 and you'll need no more!   The dac can be driven by a PC/Mac via USB and it supports just about any format you thrown at it!    Then, if you have wifi and an iPad or an latest iPhone/android device, you can down load the OPPO media app that lets you control volume with a slider, how good is that?  

I have the 105 and it's all I will ever need, it's hard to find a device with this capability and at the $2k mark!  

Forget wanting a real volume control with traditional mechanical wipers, it's a thing of the past,  in the digital domain there is no wear or tear,  perfectly balance to with in 0.5db throughout the entire range  and it's consistent quality for life unlike typical prehistoric volume control.

So go figure what to pass up!

21 hours ago, bzr said:

Having the 95, is that stock standard 95 comparing to the 205?  

If so in SQ what are the major differences?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Having the 95, is that stock standard 95 comparing to the 205?  

If so in SQ what are the major differences?

The step up to the 205 is noticeable. Not like a hammer blow but to the point where you'll catch yourself thinking for an oppo straight to the amp, this is really good & it'll give you a warm fuzzy. When this kept happening for me over a 2 week valuation period, I realised it was definitely some of the best money I had spent in a few years & that is saying something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Youll be doing yourself no favours if a "real volume knob" requires a tick of approval.

@bzr  has a valid point that shouldn't be dismissed.  At the $2k AU  there is nothing that comes close to this device.  You get the latest ESS 9038 dac chip that is the top of the range delta sigma,  has BB balanced opamps and has both RCA & XLR outputs, has a headphone jack that can drive a Beyerdynamic T90 and you'll need no more!   The dac can be driven by a PC/Mac via USB and it supports just about any format you thrown at it!    Then, if you have wifi and an iPad or an latest iPhone/android device, you can down load the OPPO media app that lets you control volume with a slider, how good is that?  

I have the 105 and it's all I will ever need, it's hard to find a device with this capability and at the $2k mark!  

Forget wanting a real volume control with traditional mechanical wipers, it's a thing of the past,  in the digital domain there is no wear or tear,  perfectly balance to with in 0.5db throughout the entire range  and it's consistent quality for life unlike typical prehistoric volume control.

So go figure what to pass up!

I guess you never listen to vinyl then?

There will be wear and tear whenever you spin a record.:P

Fir the record, I have ditched the volume pot as well....

Take a look at the Gustard DAC-X20 Pro. You'd inspire a case of jealousy in me with that.... If better than my DAC-X12 then it would be special indeed [emoji4]

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X20PRO-Native-Balanced-Audio-Decoder-Dual-ES9018-XMOS-USB-PCM-DSD256-/262732402949?var=&hash=item3d2c125105%3Am%3Amb-aOHrnVEs_5UdH2Zj-OQg&_trkparms=pageci%253A1017316f-6c78-11e7-931f-74dbd180d954%257Cparentrq%253A5aacc34615d0aa411d6f62cbffff2887%257Ciid%253A3

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Take a look at the Gustard DAC-X20 Pro. You'd inspire a case of jealousy in me with that.... If better than my DAC-X12 then it would be special indeed emoji4.png

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X20PRO-Native-Balanced-Audio-Decoder-Dual-ES9018-XMOS-USB-PCM-DSD256-/262732402949?var=&hash=item3d2c125105%3Am%3Amb-aOHrnVEs_5UdH2Zj-OQg&_trkparms=pageci%253A1017316f-6c78-11e7-931f-74dbd180d954%257Cparentrq%253A5aacc34615d0aa411d6f62cbffff2887%257Ciid%253A3

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

If if you're looking at the Gustard pro you should also have in your sights LSK with the Dual ESS 9038 with class A discrete stages.....and this sets the benchmark according to reliable technical sources who have it in there pocessions:

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-flagship-dac-dsd-input-coaxial-bnc-aes-ebu-for-dop-usb-i2s-optical-audio-decoder.html

• Like 1