Spotify discontinuing squeezebox service

Hi all

i received an email this morning from spotify stating that they will be discontinuing using their service from my "squeezebox speaker".   having done a quick google search I couldn't see any specific product called a squeezebox speaker so I can only assume

this means squeezebox devices, such as the touch 

I really hope this is not the case 

did anyone else get this email from spotify?  

1 hour ago, williac said:

Hi all

i received an email this morning from spotify stating that they will be discontinuing using their service from my "squeezebox speaker".   having done a quick google search I couldn't see any specific product called a squeezebox speaker so I can only assume

this means squeezebox devices, such as the touch 

I really hope this is not the case 

did anyone else get this email from spotify?  

Yeah I got one too and if no longer supporting a SBT then goodbye subscription!

Will wait and see what happens in the interim.

Have to say that that was also my first thought, but I do listen to the premium service on other devices so will probably keep it, but disappointing if this is the case as it was my primary source for listening to it.  I was wondering how this will happen - will it simply disappear on the next squeezebox update? - not even sure if updates on the SBT still occur.

Guest jakeyb77

Saw this coming a while back hence offloading the SBT as I only used for Spotify. The IOS on Apple was actually the giveaway. They informed me that SBT app wouldn't work with any further IOS updates. That was enough to make me look for new options. Have to say the Pioneer options are great but they don't have volume capability that's all. 

Hi All - yes I received the same email from Spotify and have been looking at alternatives. I posted here about it.

I'm not sure which way to go with this one. My alternatives are either using something like the iEast streamer just for Spotify or replacing my Squeezebox Touch with with  whole new multi purpose streaming device.

Interesting quote about the Apple IOS upgrade not supporting the Squeezebox app - is this referenced to the iPeng app or just the free Logitech App ?"

cheers

Des

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, Desap said:

Hi All - yes I received the same email from Spotify and have been looking at alternatives. I posted here about it.

I'm not sure which way to go with this one. My alternatives are either using something like the iEast streamer just for Spotify or replacing my Squeezebox Touch with with  whole new multi purpose streaming device.

Interesting quote about the Apple IOS upgrade not supporting the Squeezebox app - is this referenced to the iPeng app or just the free Logitech App ?"

cheers

Des

I use the free one not the Peng so I'm not sure about that 

I use the free one not the Peng so I'm not sure about that 

I've got iPeng. It is on my iPhone and it is not coming up as an incompatible app for future editions.

Scrobbler from Last.FM does seem dead though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did find that slim devices forum link but I found it really hard to navigate and understand. The hyperlink in the slim devices forum opens a section in the GitHub site  called "Librespot" but I'm not sure what to do from there.  I could not see any clear link to a "plugins" section, and infortunatly the computer speak comments back in the slim devices forum were no help in my limited knowledge there.   

It would be great if the developer would do a step by step installation process manual or a YouTube clip showing how to install.  

Edited by williac

1 minute ago, williac said:

I did find that but I found it really hard to navigate.   The hyperlink in the slim devices forum opens a section in the GitHub site  called "Librespot" but I'm not sure what to do from there.  I could not see any clear link to a "plugins" section, and infortunatly the computer speak comments back in the slim devices forum were no help in my limited knowledge there.   

It would be great if the developer would do a step by step installation process manual or a YouTube clip showing how to install.  

I think the plugin he refers too is in the actual software "Advanced Settings" menu, which you can get to once you've installed the latest version of the LMS software - I think but it sure is puzzling. I'm holding off for the moment.

Thanks Desap - I understand now - when I go into advanced settings tab of the LMS it is advising me that there is an updated version of the LMS to install.  I wont hit the "update" button just yet either - and i notice that when i go in "web remote control" function (also in the advanced settings tab of the LMS)  and look at the active plug-ins, spotty is not showing there....yet.  While Spotify is still working on my squeezebox Ill leave things be.  

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
26 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Can you switch to Tidal?

Personally I wouldn't switch to Tidal out of principal. JayZ being the most overrated rapper to exist thinks that releasing his own album Tidal only will get more subscription hahaha

Also Lemonade was only available there.  I hate that type of business.  Anyway he doesn't need my money. 

Apart from the message to discontinue the service to squeezebox ive been really happy with Spotify.  The h-res stream sounds great on my system and i love the simplicity, setup and range of albums.  Its worked fine all day today, and hopefully when they do  "pull the plug" this spotty workaround will do just as good a job.  

Im with you Jakeyb - anyone who lets his wife get away with those god-awful "baby snaps" wont get my money!

The bad news - as promised, as of today, Spotify is no longer available through the Logitech Squeezebox - by the old Spotify app plugin.

The good news - Spotty (as mentioned above) works perfectly - I think - haven't given it a complete workout yet but, so far so good.

Many thanks to the genius (Michael ?) at LMS for writing this plugin for the Squeezebox - brilliant !!

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 8:10 PM, williac said:

Apart from the message to discontinue the service to squeezebox ive been really happy with Spotify.  The h-res stream sounds great on my system and i love the simplicity, setup and range of albums.  Its worked fine all day today, and hopefully when they do  "pull the plug" this spotty workaround will do just as good a job.  

Im with you Jakeyb - anyone who lets his wife get away with those god-awful "baby snaps" wont get my money!

https://qz.com/893571/jay-zs-tidal-is-worth-600-million-not-quite-spotify-or-apple-music-but-still-10-times-what-he-paid-in-2015/ 

Clearly Jay Z doesn't need your money.

Hi all,

The Good News:  I have managed to get spotty showing on the remote LMS on my desktop both as a plug-in and having the Spotty logo showing in the "My Apps" section - but again only on the Web remote control on my desktop.

The Bad News:  For whatever reason my squeezebox has now stopped talking to my LMS on the desktop.  Im getting the "we couldnt connect to your PC" message on the SBT, and " the player was not found" message when I click on the "Player" tab on the LMS.  Internet is connected (I can play the radio no probs through the SBT) and have even uninstalled and reinstalled the LMS last night.  Grrrrrrr

I shall keep persisting.......

1 hour ago, williac said:

Hi all,

The Good News:  I have managed to get spotty showing on the remote LMS on my desktop both as a plug-in and having the Spotty logo showing in the "My Apps" section - but again only on the Web remote control on my desktop.

The Bad News:  For whatever reason my squeezebox has now stopped talking to my LMS on the desktop.  Im getting the "we couldnt connect to your PC" message on the SBT, and " the player was not found" message when I click on the "Player" tab on the LMS.  Internet is connected (I can play the radio no probs through the SBT) and have even uninstalled and reinstalled the LMS last night.  Grrrrrrr

I shall keep persisting.......

Similar experience here but using Vortexbox. Loaded Spotty then I lost access to the LMS GUI. Restarted everything this morning and I'm back up but Spotty times out when I put in Spotify credentials to login.

There is a multi page thread about Spotty on the slim devices forum that I haven't got the strength to read through.

Yep Bell Ringer - I found the slim devices thread on Spotty too, and that was the site i was referring too when I said it would be nice if someone could do a "plain english" set up procedure - they completely lose me when they start talking gateway numbers and pasting code throughout the 47 pages.  I'm not computer illiterate, and can generally navigate my way through stuff like disabling my firewall on certain extensions etc. but this one has got me right at this moment.  I'm very tempted to try the "walk away and leave it for a couple of days" approach.  Sometimes for no logical reason that I can fathom, the SBT and associated LMS software can be temperamental.  It will work one day, and not the next.