Vintage high efficiency speakers

On 13/07/2017 at 7:57 AM, MattyW said:

If I ever come across a pair of the Toshiba's I'll snap them up emoji4.png

I did have some Toshiba SR150 Speakers (part of an system where reciever, Turntable and speakers shared the same model) which sounded really lovely hooked up to a Rotel RX150A reciever, and that combination was outright magical with a Hitachi PS-8 turntable and Empire 2000 E/I cartridge.

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-SS-30-ALNICO-Tri-amplifier-wirable-3-way-speakers-RARE/282569797863?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

someone study SNA very well.:-)

Guest BobbyD
30 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Crikey.... Expensive suckers

Yeah, but very good suckers......that's some great sound for the money, particularly when you realise how challenging it is to get good quality SET friendly speakers.

@THOMO knows of a guy who has them hooked up to an Audio Note Ongaku

That should tell you something ;)

15 hours ago, same64 said:

Shame about the condition of the cabinets.

If the cabinets were in good condition that price might be OK. You really need to invert the woofer and passive radiator position in one speaker so you get a mirror imaged driver arrangement.You can use them as they are but imaging will not be as good.That also means having to invert one box .

Swapping over the driver positions is also a bit tricky because they are glued onto the front baffle and have to be eased off to avoid damaging the baffle.

But yes they are great sounding speakers when used with low powered valve amps or SETs.They tend to sound best in a small to medium sized room and placed nearer the back wall for a bit of bass reinforcement.

Edited by THOMO

4 hours ago, THOMO said:

Shame about the condition of the cabinets.

If the cabinets were in good condition that price might be OK. You really need to invert the woofer and passive radiator position in one speaker so you get a mirror imaged driver arrangement.You can use them as they are but imaging will not be as good.That also means having to invert one box .

Swapping over the driver positions is also a bit tricky because they are glued onto the front baffle and have to be eased off to avoid damaging the baffle.

But yes they are great sounding speakers when used with low powered valve amps or SETs.They tend to sound best in a small to medium sized room and placed nearer the back wall for a bit of bass reinforcement.

Yeah cabinet  condition don't look good, loosing on value not matter how good it sounds.

Still on the hunt for vintage speakers ,if you see guys anything interesting let me know. Might increase the price if something good comes up.

BTW i got the amp and pretty happy , only $280 to build and of course plus postage (expensive).

Thanks THOMO for your input.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, same64 said:

I use to experiment with open baffle and build Linkvitz Pluto clone and few pairs of small full range drivers as well.But this time i  want play a bit with vintage speakers.

If you are OK with open baffle and vintage than Saba greencone is very hard to beat

58dadc82ada4bc8d23176c23fef40759.jpg

• Like 1

I have a set of Pioneer SCS-12 high efficiency speakers that are something around 92 or 94db I forget exactly which.  You would be welcome to have them for around half what I am asking at the moment about $30. Problem is shipping them to Victoria would be cost prohibitive unless you know someone heading south.

The problem is you're never going to achieve high efficiency in that era without a compromise on either sound quality, or sound reproduction. They have a driver in them, but they are very much mid focused speakers. You would need a good sub woofer and separate amp to really enjoy them and this is the common problem. I have a set of Rogers LS3/5As now which are pretty efficient, and a two way design so have some tops thanks to an intricate crossover but no real bottom end. I'm just listening to "When sunny gets blue" at the moment, Amazing for that kind of stuff though.

High efficiency speakers of that era will be a compromise somewhere. You're better off looking at a set  of modern coaxial car speakers and developing a set of nice speaker boxes to drive them. It sounds smarter than what you would think. Modern car speakers are quite efficient, and you don't have to worry about developing a fancy crossover or tweeter design in your box. That's if your amp will handle a 4ohm load of course. Mix with the appropriate sub woofer in a box you have laying around.

A simple 8inch full range speaker in a sealed box should do the trick and develop quite a lot of bass while being complimentary to your amp in terms of power draw. It doesn't have to be super expensive until you want it to be. The Focal Access 210 Coaxial runs at about $250 each and delivers 93db efficiency.

I don't know that exact MiniWatt amplifier at all so its a bit hard to say what it will run.

Edited by Roumelio.

23 hours ago, Roumelio. said:

I have a set of Pioneer SCS-12 high efficiency speakers that are something around 92 or 94db I forget exactly which.  You would be welcome to have them for around half what I am asking at the moment about $30. Problem is shipping them to Victoria would be cost prohibitive unless you know someone heading south.

The problem is you're never going to achieve high efficiency in that era without a compromise on either sound quality, or sound reproduction. They have a driver in them, but they are very much mid focused speakers. You would need a good sub woofer and separate amp to really enjoy them and this is the common problem. I have a set of Rogers LS3/5As now which are pretty efficient, and a two way design so have some tops thanks to an intricate crossover but no real bottom end. I'm just listening to "When sunny gets blue" at the moment, Amazing for that kind of stuff though.

High efficiency speakers of that era will be a compromise somewhere. You're better off looking at a set  of modern coaxial car speakers and developing a set of nice speaker boxes to drive them. It sounds smarter than what you would think. Modern car speakers are quite efficient, and you don't have to worry about developing a fancy crossover or tweeter design in your box. That's if your amp will handle a 4ohm load of course. Mix with the appropriate sub woofer in a box you have laying around.

A simple 8inch full range speaker in a sealed box should do the trick and develop quite a lot of bass while being complimentary to your amp in terms of power draw. It doesn't have to be super expensive until you want it to be. The Focal Access 210 Coaxial runs at about $250 each and delivers 93db efficiency.

I don't know that exact MiniWatt amplifier at all so its a bit hard to say what it will run.

Thanks but postage would be a killer.

There is https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/cs-66g.shtml

Still not very efficient but it might work.Maybe i should get it and get  are of my system that vintage idea.

What you think ?.

18 minutes ago, Happy said:

I've seen folks running AR speakers with 300Bs so why not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 300B I sold recently produce 8W but cost me $3.5K in parts alone. The amp here will only produce a couple of clean watts. Once more it depends on music played and how loud you want it .

A 300B I sold recently produce 8W but cost me $3.5K in parts alone. The amp here will only produce a couple of clean watts. Once more it depends on music played and how loud you want it .

Yeah but we're talking about the speakers like ar3a compared to the pioneer above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, same64 said:

Thanks but postage would be a killer.

There is https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/cs-66g.shtml

Still not very efficient but it might work.Maybe i should get it and get  are of my system that vintage idea.

What you think ?.

I've heard and seen mixed reviews about those Pioneers. Just don't pay much for them. If I had to pay much for a vintage speaker I'd be chasing something better in the long term ahead of a Pioneer speaker like that. From my current experience with my SCS-12s of that era also the pioneer speakers from the late 1960s early 1970s were never much good.

I'm running a set of beaten up Rogers LS/35As that sound nice with valves at the moment but then I have a bit more headroom with a 15watt a side amp, and I'm delegating sub bass to another driver.

I still think a couple of full range speakers in a box would sound better than most of that stuff from the 1960s. If you have a lot of money and just want a loud speaker then you can also consider one of these things.

Edited by Roumelio.

20 hours ago, Roumelio. said:

I've heard and seen mixed reviews about those Pioneers. Just don't pay much for them. If I had to pay much for a vintage speaker I'd be chasing something better in the long term ahead of a Pioneer speaker like that. From my current experience with my SCS-12s of that era also the pioneer speakers from the late 1960s early 1970s were never much good.

I'm running a set of beaten up Rogers LS/35As that sound nice with valves at the moment but then I have a bit more headroom with a 15watt a side amp, and I'm delegating sub bass to another driver.

I still think a couple of full range speakers in a box would sound better than most of that stuff from the 1960s. If you have a lot of money and just want a loud speaker then you can also consider one of these things.

I think there is big deference  between SCS-12 and CS-66G looking at the 66G manual.

Have few pair of speakers at home JBL 530 studio like best and don't have a problem to spend more for good quality speakers but im getting bored quickly.

cs-66g-sm.pdf

21 hours ago, mwhouston said:

$3.5K for parts only?.

Have you got pictures of finished amp?.

I've a pair of Pioneer CS88A speakers. Lovely sounding old speakers..... Sounds great with solid state amp and tube preamp. Quite coloured. I like them though. They create a big, room filling sound and are easy to drive.

I've mine in the gym. Waiting for a new DAB+ radio to arrive for the little Nobsound hybrid amp.

525b59499298bc9609296be6ca89de74.jpg

Cost me $120 locally.

17 minutes ago, same64 said:

I think there is big deference  between SCS-12 and CS-66G looking at the 66G manual.

Have few pair of speakers at home JBL 530 studio like best and don't have a problem to spend more for good quality speakers but im getting bored quickly.

cs-66g-sm.pdf

The CS-66 and CS-99 were much higher up the food chain, its just been the general perception from what I've seen and read that Pioneer of that era, is nothing special. There was a CS-77 in the middle of that also. The SCS-12 was a low end thing originally shipped with the Pioneer SA-500. I would not pay much for them, but I would not object if I came across a set.

I know  how you feel, my boredom is also leading me to explore valves also at the moment.

Edited by Roumelio.

1 minute ago, Roumelio. said:

The CSG-66 and CS-99 were much higher up the food chain, its just been the general perception from what I've seen and read that Pioneer of that era, is nothing special. There was a CS-77 in the middle of that also. The SCS-12 was a low end thing originally shipped with the Pioner SA-500. I would not pay much for them, but I would not object if I came across a set.

Maybe i should put add in Wanted to buy section and see if i can get something better .

13 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I've a pair of Pioneer CS88A speakers. Lovely sounding old speakers..... Sounds great with solid state amp and tube preamp. Quite coloured. I like them though. They create a big, room filling sound and are easy to drive.

I've mine in the gym. Waiting for a new DAB+ radio to arrive for the little Nobsound hybrid amp.

525b59499298bc9609296be6ca89de74.jpg

Cost me $120 locally.

Looks good .Well i don't really expect for vintage speakers to be neutral .Neutral i boring:-)

36 minutes ago, same64 said:

$3.5K for parts only?.

Have you got pictures of finished amp?.

Here are the links to blog

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2011-05-21T23:48:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2011-05-21T23:48:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false

The interstage caps were $200 each and today they are $450 each. The power   Tubes are TJ Full Music special edition limited series carbon plates at $1200 a pair. There are individually numbered and matched.  The OPTs are Hammond 20W for an 8W amp and the choke a Hammond 10H 220mA. There is no electrolytics in the PS there are all Mundorf polypropylenes. The driver tube is a 50 year treasure gold pin at $125? The power tranni was custom wound. The schematic was designed by an electronics engineer from Seatle who builds tube amps.

These prices are from 2012.  

Edited by mwhouston

Does anyone have an opinion on the SQ/performance of JVC SK1000 II speakers? They are identical to the ones in the photos per link below. I haven't tested them yet but thought they might pair with a Sansui AU7500, but it would be fair to say i am a clueless newbie!

http://www.aussieaudiomart.com/details/649066641vintage_jvc_sk1000_ii_speakers_for_sale/images/592031/

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters