Amp recommendation, Monitor Audio RX6

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been on SNA; hoping to seek recommendations from the knowledge base here.

Im looking for an interstated amp for my Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. I'm coming from a surround sound install into a new apartment and cannot accommodate 5.1 anymore, TBH I also could be bothered. Currently using a Yamaha Z7, unfortunately this doesn't fit into the entertainment unit the misses has bought...

So I'm looking for an intergrated amp to use in a 2.1 system with either a bluesound node or heos link to stream music and to act as DAC from the to amp to improve sound. Also an oppo 203 will cover bluray/UHD movies.

i think I'm finding the Yamaha MA combination a bit to unforgiving at the tip end. Sounds great at lower volumes but when I want to crank it up I can't listen for long without getting agitated. So a warm/laid back and perhaps?!

Any ideas please throw them at me as I'm noob to hifi!

Budget is around the 2k mark.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into those now. I'm not sure the exposure is going to give me the upgrading I'm looking for though:

if if buying new what of the following would match the Silvers

Rega Elex R

Music Fidelity M3si

Cambridge Audio CXA80

3 hours ago, metalheadz said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into those now. I'm not sure the exposure is going to give me the upgrading I'm looking for though:

Rega Elex R

Music Fidelity M3si

Cambridge Audio CXA80

The Exposure although cheap, will match most other amps at the $2000 mark. And don't let the power figures fool you. This has LOADS of power @Cafad

If you are after warm and laid back then the Exposure is definitely what you are looking for.  I haven't heard the CXA80 but if it is anything like the 640A/650A Azure amps then it is not warm or laid back.

I have a Marantz PM8005 hooked up to my Monitor Audio Silver 6's.

You can find ex demo units for under $1800.

The Rega will be too bright.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys,

looks like the exposure has been

snapped up now.

@Minoan funny you should mention the Rega being too bright, this was my concern after reading the What HiFi review of its big brother. However it was recommended to be as the top choice by 2 stores, and the Cambridge by another. Seems good help is hard to find.. 

Keeping my eye out for marantz on sale

Edited by metalheadz
Typo

Guest rogerthat

There is still an Exposure in the classifieds I think. I would personally pick Exposure over your other choices. Awesome amp and big upgrade from what you have.

20 minutes ago, rogerthat said:

There is still an Exposure in the classifieds I think. I would personally pick Exposure over your other choices. Awesome amp and big upgrade from what you have.

+1.

I wouldn't be using these speakers with a Marantz.

The MA sound better with every amp upgrade, while the Marantz is strictly lower mid fi. The Cambridge isn't a great match either and perhaps ironically, the Rega Brio-R is by far the best match of all the Rega amps with these speakers. The latest model is pretty good and is cheaper and better than the Elex ,IMO

The MF M3si also works very well indeed but the Brio-R is about $1K less and the Exposure listed above will also work very well

Edited by rantan

20 hours ago, Cafad said:

If you are after warm and laid back then the Exposure is definitely what you are looking for.  I haven't heard the CXA80 but if it is anything like the 640A/650A Azure amps then it is not warm or laid back.

Agreed great choice

After much consideration and testing my system with and without the central channel, blurays through analog rca I'm not sure I can live without an AVR. I can't accomodate one for now but to future proof I'm adding HT bypass as a requirement for an intergrated amp.

so please, throw some suggestions my way!!

Guest rogerthat

The latest Exposure 2010s2D has a fixed-gain AV input. The 'D' denomination is not a DAC confusingly. I think it stands for 'Direct' as in the addition of a direct input.

I've secured a pretty good price on the new exposure. Also a dealer has recommended Primare I22 or I32 with the media boad, I can have the I32 for much the same price as the exposure.

I've grabbed an oppo 203 and bluesound node 2 at a steal so the amp has taken a back seat.

Srcatching around the classifieds and eBay for 2nd hand bargains but HT bypass is hard to come by.

I've just paired up my gold MAs with a Marantz 8005 and really like it (the 7005 is probably better value if you need a DAC). Musical Fidelity M3si also very nice. I tried the Cambridge Audio and agree with statements above - a bit too analytical and dry.

Funny, the Exposure 2010 I trialled (a used model) just didn't work for me. You'll get a shortlist here, but I'd try with your own speakers before you buy -tastes and other factors like room conditions are just too great to say something is a sure bet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using RS6 have used cyrus amps sound neutral and smooth even at high volumes, have used creek( the best match but unreliable), musical fidelity, too bright, currently run a leema pulse III, awsome sounding, being reviewed by cafad, now using a nad 3020 modified by Richard Mcdonald of Quasimodo amps, also sounds great. In a dedicated music room 4x4.5m, not ideal proportions but its my room.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get hold of a preowned cambridge audio 851a that  will match nicely as will the musical fidelity. Havnt heard the exposure amp so cant comment. If youre going into 2 channel definitely get rid of the receiver. 

CA 851a with a opp 105 will keep you very happy.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, metalheadz said:

Rega Elex R

Music Fidelity M3si

Cambridge Audio CXA80

Check out the Primare I32. I use one of these with MA Silver 8s. Also bare in mind Primare have announced a new version of this amp so there may be some bargains around. I was originally looking at the Elex R and the M3si but I got an excellent deal (pre new model release) on the I32.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:01 PM, metalheadz said:

Thanks Guys,

looks like the exposure has been

snapped up now.

@Minoan funny you should mention the Rega being too bright, this was my concern after reading the What HiFi review of its big brother.

I would not give too much credence to "What HiFi" reviews. I have found them wide of the mark. The Rega sounded excellent (to me) when I auditioned it with the Silver 6s and 8s. The Primare was just a bit better.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, metalheadz said:

I've secured a pretty good price on the new exposure. Also a dealer has recommended Primare I22 or I32 with the media boad, I can have the I32 for much the same price as the exposure.

I've grabbed an oppo 203 and bluesound node 2 at a steal so the amp has taken a back seat.

Srcatching around the classifieds and eBay for 2nd hand bargains but HT bypass is hard to come by.

There's nothing wrong with Primare as a brand, they are well made and deliver a good mid range but for my money they just don't seem to be adventurous in that they don't go too high in the highs or try for quite enough control in the lows.  Safe but not very exciting seems to be a general consensus.  Your mileage may vary of course.

I will second the idea of a Cambridge 840/850/851 integrated, nice warm sound but with plenty of power behind it, 75% of the warmth but 3 times the grunt of the Brio R.  If you can find one at the right price definitely add it to your options list.

10 hours ago, Cafad said:

There's nothing wrong with Primare as a brand, they are well made and deliver a good mid range but for my money they just don't seem to be adventurous in that they don't go too high in the highs or try for quite enough control in the lows.  Safe but not very exciting seems to be a general consensus.  Your mileage may vary of course.

I'm obviously a fan of the brand however outside of What HiFi (if not Rega, Naim and Cyrus) I have not read a bad review about them. In fact the consensus appears to be overwhelmingly enthusiastic. I'm not sure of your experience and with what ancillaries but that aside I prefer my amplifiers to be neutral rather than "adventurous". I fully realise that others may disagree.

Reviews of their products are here.
http://www.primare.net/product.asp?ProductID=48&d=5&c=1