External USB Power supply with AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB DAC

Just checking if anyone has purchased something like the Schitt Audio Wyrd USB DeCrapifier or the Ifi micro - iUSB

& noticed a significant improvement in sound quality.

I currently have the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB DAC connected to my PC as the source.

My speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze 2's ($600) & a cambridge Audio AM10  ($400).

Don't really want to purchase the external USB power supply if it isn't going to be a descent improvement to my system

Edited by Winterspace

20 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi

An Audioquest Jitterbug may help, USB > Jitterbug > Dragonfly > Amp / Speakers

JJ

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. From memory, someone a while back ( I think it was Scumbag) said that the jitterbug didn't seem to help with the Dragonfly red.

Maybe the Red incorporated similar circuitry. The main complaint with PC based sources was the quality of the +5V internal supply. An external quality supply hopefully would help, but how much, I am unsure. Probably depends somewhat on the quality of the PC p/s.

The only other post I could find re this subject noticed a definite improvement with the Ifi micro - iUSB

Was hoping someone has a similar setup.

On 10/07/2017 at 5:57 PM, mloutfie said:

If it's me I would put the money to upgrade the DAC to something better. Would be a better upgrade

Definitely been looking for something like the Chord Mojo. Hopefully something comes up in Melb & may get a chance to demo it before buying.

4 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @Winterspace

This would be a definite upgrade and a good price:

JJ

Main issue I have is buying something with no warranty & have it cark it soon after.

The other concern is buying a new DAC & not noticing a big difference.

Hoping something similar presents in Melbourne & can have a listen first.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Hi

The other thing you might try is to ask your local hifi store for a loan of a DAC and do a A:B comparison, a lot of stores ofter do this if there is the possibility of a sale....

JJ

14 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi

The other thing you might try is to ask your local hifi store for a loan of a DAC and do a A:B comparison, a lot of stores ofter do this if there is the possibility of a sale....

JJ

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll also keep my eye on StereoNet for any local DAC bargains that may come along.