FS: Perigee FK1 (Hybrid Ribbon Speakers)

Item: Perigee FK1
Price: $3,500, $2,950
Item Condition: Good
Reason for selling: NLR
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (+fees), COD, Direct Deposit

Extra Info: These are ribbon hybrid speakers made by Graz of Apogee Acoustic fame in very limited numbers. They have a 6" proprietary ribbon tweeter, along with twin 6.5" drivers. They combine the speed, resolution and transparency of ribbons, whilst providing fast, solid and low reaching bass (28hz). They are 4ohm with 92db sensitivity and can play loud! 

These were my dream speakers and are what got me into audio. Most were sold overseas with only a small amount staying in the AUS market. I searched high and low for mine, finally finding a pair from an old Perigee dealer in NSW. I have owned them for approx 6-7 years which is the longest by far i've held on to anything audio related! I've had many speakers come and go over the years but none have lasted like these. Most recently i had some $30k speakers in house and although they were more coherent from top to bottom, the Perigee's just smashed them in the mid/highs. The other speakers sounded great till you put them side by side with the peri's, after that they sounded like there was a cloth over the tweeters. The Peri's are the fastest, most transparent, open and dynamic speakers i've owned. 

Around a year ago, Graz brought out an update to these which he calls Perigee FK1 Advanced. By all accounts it takes these to another level. I mention this to show that they are still supported by Graz and can continue to be improved upon. The upgrade brings new ribbons, internal wiring and an external off the chart crossover (like you see Mike Lenehan doing).

The speakers have cavities in the base which can be filled. I used kiln dried sand mixed with lead shot, i'll provide that with the speakers. The speaker terminals are high quality bi-wire types. The speakers have grills to protect the drivers although i prefer them off. The speakers sit on bases called 'perisers' which lift them up a little higher and provide a wider base for stability. Both the speakers and the perisers have provisions to screw in spikes (i used track audio spikes to good effect).

These were originally voiced with Musical Fidelity Nuvista 3D and M3 components, and sounded awesome when i had them running that way. They loved the romantic nature of the nuvista's, whilst benefitting from the current delivery. Of recent times i have been using Devialet, and this specific pair of Peri's were the ones Devialet used to analyse for the SAM profile you can download/enable for them. It lowers the output to 21hz which seriously shakes the house foundations!

I thought i would keep these forever, but the fact is with a small family space is at a premium and i just don't have the room to store them. I need to make way for some incoming beasts which are easily over 10 times the price of these (which speaks volumes about the quality of these for the money). I'm not kidding when i say considering letting go of these is like breaking up with my childhood sweetheart. With these you can have your cake and eat it too, ribbon quality mids and highs in a reasonably slim enclosure with thunderous bottom end.

I have the original boxes so can ship interstate if required.

Pictures:

DSC02616.JPG

DSC02610.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

DSC02613.JPG

DSC02615.JPG

DSC02621.JPG

DSC02622.JPG

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg