CD player around $300 suggestions.

Just now, bob_m_54 said:

...Does the box you are talking about (I have no idea which of their models you mean) list your library by "album artist" only, if I want to do that?

It does everything you ask for, plus more....see eBay link in my previous post.

$40k gets you a new system, obviously not what you want.

12 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

It does everything you ask for, plus more....see eBay link in my previous post.

$40k gets you a new system, obviously not what you want.

I think that's the crucial point right there. ;)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Actually, my biggest beef with streaming, is to find software that has a decent interface. Many don't seem to have the ability to list by album artist only, which makes it a pain browsing through the library. I use a Raspberry pie and either Moode, Rune or Volumio, but none of them allow you to list by album artist only, Kodi does, and has a nicer interface with album covers, but the sound quality isn't as good as the other three. Same if I stream from the network HDD direct to the amp, the interface is horrible, and very basic. When browsing through physical CDs, it's much easier too.

The choice here I think would be Kodi as you have discovered a very nice interface, audio is perfect if using with a quality DAC, just set the DAC in the audio options or the other is Roon but need to pat a subscription.

8 minutes ago, powerav said:

The choice here I think would be Kodi as you have discovered a very nice interface, audio is perfect if using with a quality DAC, just set the DAC in the audio options or the other is Roon but need to pat a subscription.

I have compared Kodi to Moode Rune and Volumio, quite a bit. I think both Moode and Volumio (haven't used Rune much lately) have a slight edge in sound quality over Kodi, using the DAC board I have fitted (IQaudIO DAC plus), so comparing apples with apples as far as the software goes. I think the reason for that, is that you can select the overlay for the particular DAC board in in use for those software packages, where Kodi doesn't allow that (for Raspberry Pi) anyway.

But yes, Kodi seems to have a nicer interface, in most of it's implementations ie the ones I have used it on, Linux Mint, Raspberry Pi, Boxee Box. and even the reverted XBMC4Xbox, on the old Xbox

Edited by bob_m_54
extra info

12 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

But yes, Kodi seems to have a nicer interface, in most of it's implementations ie the ones I have used it on, Linux Mint, Raspberry Pi, Boxee Box. and even the reverted XBMC4Xbox, on the old Xbox

I also have a raspberry Pi 3 with a Allo Boss DAC which is my Roon end point but while Roon is awesome not prepared to pay over $700 for the license so I tried Volumino on the Raspberry PI and the set up and control of it was too much a pain for me and the audio quality was at best equal to my HTPC which is a pentium 3.4Ghz with Kodi and when I had it a Klein DAC. I will be going back to this configuration.

Guest scumbag

Bob, what have you done? You had to go and mention streaming. Anyway look on the bright side, it's only $37700 more than the budgeted for. 

P. S. Doesn't Roon and Jriver sort by album artist? 

12 minutes ago, powerav said:

I also have a raspberry Pi 3 with a Allo Boss DAC which is my Roon end point but while Roon is awesome not prepared to pay over $700 for the license so I tried Volumino on the Raspberry PI and the set up and control of it was too much a pain for me and the audio quality was at best equal to my HTPC which is a pentium 3.4Ghz with Kodi and when I had it a Klein DAC. I will be going back to this configuration.

It is pretty simple setting up Moode, Volumio and Rune really and plenty of online guides if you have problems. Incidentally, the Allo Boss uses the same PCM5122 DAC as IQaudIO does. Never tried Roon, more interested in my own collection than streaming from the WWW

3 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Bob, what have you done? You had to go and mention streaming. Anyway look on the bright side, it's only $37700 more than the budgeted for. 

P. S. Doesn't Roon and Jriver sort by album artist? 

Yeah, it's my own darn fault....

Don't know about Roon or Jriver really mate, I've only used what's available for Raspberry Pi etc. I can actually show Album Artist only if I use my phone as the MPD controller for the Pi, but it can sometimes be a bit dodgy on the outskirts of my wifi signal.

It is kinda tied in with the subject (not the way OTT systems mentioned LOL) because I'm still deciding whether to keep the CDs or just go to streaming exclusively. At the moment, I'm enjoying the new, to me, player I picked up the other day though, and think there is an edge to what I'm using to stream at the moment.

39 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

It is pretty simple setting up Moode, Volumio and Rune really and plenty of online guides if you have problems

i have used probably every streaming product out there and Volumino was the only one that couldn't detect my NAS drives, had to do it all manually and took forever.

I think you should try this http://www.ropieee.org/?page_id=56 and do the Roon a trial.

8 minutes ago, powerav said:

i have used probably every streaming product out there and Volumino was the only one that couldn't detect my NAS drives, had to do it all manually and took forever.

I think you should try this http://www.ropieee.org/?page_id=56 and do the Roon a trial.

Yeah maybe, but"

Credit Card Requirement

The free Roon trial requires a credit card due to the nature of the contracts with our data partners.

And you need a subscription to play music you already own???

Edited by bob_m_54

1 minute ago, bob_m_54 said:

Credit Card Requirement

The free Roon trial requires a credit card due to the nature of the contracts with our data partners.

Yeah but you can still easily cancel when time expires, I cancelled mine after they took money out and gave me a full refund

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

Bob, I have an Arcam CD72 in my Sansui shed system, it is a very nice player, bloody lovely actually. Wish you were closer, could do a swapsie so you could experience.

Can it sort by Album Artist? :sorry:

Guest scumbag
5 hours ago, powerav said:

Yeah but you can still easily cancel when time expires, I cancelled mine after they took money out and gave me a full refund

Guys, I did my trial without a credit card. I emailed support @Roon and told them I didn't have one - that was not true but I have a thing about "trials" that can suddenly end up being charged to your card when they run out.Anyway, a nice gent from Roon set up a trial for 30 days with no card nor nuffin. 

On the topic of paying for music you already own. Yes, it seems ridiculous. All I can say though is that it has made browsing my library a joy and it always turns up information that feeds my re-discovery of what I already own. You are also paying for a seem-less experience, multi-platform support and nice developments such as the Roon Rock server that is a headless Linux OS that runs the Roon server. OK, so it's not cheap but a lifetime membership is once off (obviously). Is it perfect? Not totally, the Android Roon remote is not working for me ATM. It can't operate over a WAN (unless a genius out there can explain how I can do that!). It has a great Radio function that dynamically creates a playlist of music that is based on your previous choice and tastes. It will also throw some random stuff in there that is still related but a bit left field. It's amazing how rarely you need to override its choice of songs.

So rather than thinking of it as paying to listen to music you own, I think of it as paying a price for a seem-less experience that transforms my large library into a book shelf full of records. Not for everyone of course. A bit like buying a nice car then getting someone else to drive you places. 

5 hours ago, scumbag said:

Guys, I did my trial without a credit card. I emailed support @Roon and told them I didn't have one - that was not true but I have a thing about "trials" that can suddenly end up being charged to your card when they run out.Anyway, a nice gent from Roon set up a trial for 30 days with no card nor nuffin. 

On the topic of paying for music you already own. Yes, it seems ridiculous. All I can say though is that it has made browsing my library a joy and it always turns up information that feeds my re-discovery of what I already own. You are also paying for a seem-less experience, multi-platform support and nice developments such as the Roon Rock server that is a headless Linux OS that runs the Roon server. OK, so it's not cheap but a lifetime membership is once off (obviously). Is it perfect? Not totally, the Android Roon remote is not working for me ATM. It can't operate over a WAN (unless a genius out there can explain how I can do that!). It has a great Radio function that dynamically creates a playlist of music that is based on your previous choice and tastes. It will also throw some random stuff in there that is still related but a bit left field. It's amazing how rarely you need to override its choice of songs.

So rather than thinking of it as paying to listen to music you own, I think of it as paying a price for a seem-less experience that transforms my large library into a book shelf full of records. Not for everyone of course. A bit like buying a nice car then getting someone else to drive you places. 

Sounds like it does just about everything I need, similar to what I have already in a free OS headless system, or free onscreen system, except the free onscreen system (kodi) can sort by, and display only "Album Artist", as required ;-)

Roon just took $120 U.S out of my account :( which means I will keep it for a year now. They do say you get what you pay for and Roon is pretty amazing. It is the only system I have had that just works instantly with zero drop outs.

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, powerav said:

Roon just took $120 U.S out of my account :( which means I will keep it for a year now. They do say you get what you pay for and Roon is pretty amazing. It is the only system I have had that just works instantly with zero drop outs.

That was my fear - and that's why I asked if I could not use my CC.....

And yes, to coin the old Apple phrase, "it just works". Anyway, I think we are WAY off topic so apologies to the OP. 

12 hours ago, scumbag said:

Is it perfect? Not totally, the Android Roon remote is not working for me ATM. It can't operate over a WAN (unless a genius out there can explain how I can do that!).

@scumbag

Whilst this is still  off topic my experience may be useful if a bit bizarre.

I am not exactly sure as to what you mean that Android remote does not work for you ATM.  My issue is connection using a tablet when I start Roon.

I use Roon from my Win 10 desk top machine via the network with perfect connection.  I have an Android phone and it works perfectly Via WiFI.  The screen is too small to be useful though.

I have an Android Lenovo Tablet and it has been a most frustrating experience to get it to connect via Wifi which is what I prefer.  It can take hours before a connection to the server with Roon Core can be established.  Orange Squeeze and Bubble connect immediately to the same server with the tablet.  So to me there seems to be issue with Roon Remote at least for me

I am not sure whether I have solved my problem but this is what I have done for the past 2 weeks and it works every time.  When I start Roon and get the screen saying it is trying to connect I tap the middle of the screen a number of times in succession.  Often it is 8 times.  It is bizarre but for me it works.  If I do not tap it at the connection screen it just continues to say it is trying to connect and nothing happens and it goes on, on and on. 

Putting aside the above I like Roon and consider it to be value for the sophistication of the features included in the product.

John

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Assisi said:

@scumbag

Whilst this is still  off topic my experience may be useful if a bit bizarre.

I am not exactly sure as to what you mean that Android remote does not work for you ATM.  My issue is connection using a tablet when I start Roon.

I use Roon from my Win 10 desk top machine via the network with perfect connection.  I have an Android phone and it works perfectly Via WiFI.  The screen is too small to be useful though.

I have an Android Lenovo Tablet and it has been a most frustrating experience to get it to connect via Wifi which is what I prefer.  It can take hours before a connection to the server with Roon Core can be established.  Orange Squeeze and Bubble connect immediately to the same server with the tablet.  So to me there seems to be issue with Roon Remote at least for me

I am not sure whether I have solved my problem but this is what I have done for the past 2 weeks and it works every time.  When I start Roon and get the screen saying it is trying to connect I tap the middle of the screen a number of times in succession.  Often it is 8 times.  It is bizarre but for me it works.  If I do not tap it at the connection screen it just continues to say it is trying to connect and nothing happens and it goes on, on and on. 

Putting aside the above I like Roon and consider it to be value for the sophistication of the features included in the product.

John

Just tried that - no go. I can't connect by manually putting in the IP address either. Which version on Android are you running?