StereoNET Kii Three Review

On 06/07/2017 at 9:58 PM, Lil Caesar said:

Having used nothing other than actives in either my 2 channel setup in the living room or 11.2 channel atmos home theatre for the last 18 months I can happily say that being stuck with the studio monitor designers' choice of amp has been brilliant.  I'd go active x-over any day now that I get the same fidelity at low volume as I used to get at that sound-pressure room engaging level required to get most passive speakers to truly "sing".

I've had nothing but actives for 10 years. There's no going back.

10 hours ago, Ando said:

Whilst active speakers may have their advantages isnt it really the use of DSP  to control directivity that sets speakers like the KII and B&O 90 apart .

Cheers Mike

I concur. I had active speakers before, but the Kii really take it to the next level.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:57 AM, PleasantSounds said:

What most reviews fail to mention is that their power supplies are rated 200 W.

That's about enough for most homes and studios, but the often quoted 6 x 250 W of amps is purely theoretical.

Isn't what actually is critical how much capacitance is available to each amp, and not the power supply rating?

I'm an admirer of Putzys and the Kii is on my wishlist to audition. However I don't buy the OP's assertion that "they can't be beat at the price". Not when the price is $16,000.

But it is great to see that a couple of SNA members have bought them.

http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-kii-audio-kiithree-active-loudspeakers

As a recent purchaser of a set of Kii Three, I agree with most of his favorable review. They are an amazing system that can't be beat for the money in most home environments. 
What I find interesting is how strong a preference he had for listening to vinyl playback over digital thru the Kii's. Not clear that he understood the Kiis are converting his beloved vinyl to digital  in an  A/D/A path before he hears it. 

What is the room size and set-up? I see these as being perfect for small rooms (avoid sidewall reflection issues) with single listening position but wonder about bigger rooms / multiple listeners (where the JBL model of wide, but uniform, dispersion might work better)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

27 minutes ago, zydeco said:

What is the room size and set-up? I see these as being perfect for small rooms (avoid sidewall reflection issues) with single listening position but wonder about bigger rooms / multiple listeners (where the JBL model of wide, but uniform, dispersion might work better)

Indeed, I am intrigued to hear these after the positive reviews, but I was surprised when I saw the price given the physical size.

You can buy a reasonable amount of amp and speaker for $16000, especially if you need to fill a medium to large space. I would be astonished if these have the ability to fill  a space of that size with decent output below the midrange, given the physical characteristics (ie sum driver and cabinet size etc.), if they do, that is quite a feat of engineering.

• Like 1

What kind of room size are you interested in? And how loud do you want to listen?Obviously, they are not going to give you enough output in a large room with double high ceilings for very loud playback. But I've heard them in a 25sqm room and they are fine. 

Others have reported no problem in a room over 50 and 60sqm.

You should talk to the dealer about your room and audition them.

I can tell you that they play quite loudly and produce lots of very low bass. I've measured them with 1-2 db rolloff down to 20 hz. And very  noticeable output even at 10hz. They won't give you the same physical impact as something with a 15 inch woofer, but they have plenty of bass - more than enough for most people.

Even modern recordings with lots of electronically generated, very deep notes aren't a problem for them. Don't forget that because of their design, you can push them to their limits without losing SQ or causing damage. But I doubt you will need to push them to their limits. 

With modern  technology we need to lose some of our preconceptions about speaker size. Active speakers with DSP allow precise control of longer throwing woofers,  so that much more clean bass can be produced with them without distortion or destruction of the woofer, than is possible with a conventional design.

Edited by firedog

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Isn't what actually is critical how much capacitance is available to each amp, and not the power supply rating?

There are amps with peak power output stated at twice the power consumption from the grid and that's more believable. But with the Kii 3 the ratio would be 7.5 to 1. Not sure if that can be sustained - music is not exactly like a flash gun and the bursts can come one after another faster than the capacitors can get recharged.

Another thing is that 1000W monitors I am familiar with can generate the SPL of 127 dB @1m, while Kii 3 with their total of 1500W can do 115dB @1m peak - that's a big difference.

Having said that I don't see typical houses or studios needing more power. I have used my Kii 3 in a 33sqm room and they could easily go well above comfortable listening levels.

The Kii3 at the recent Sydney hi-fi show were set up in a large room with very high ceilings. I really couldn't imagine them struggling to fill that room and to go loud. They are the kind of speaker I never had any interest in in the past but after seeing and hearing how they performed in just that one space would put them at the top of my audition list if I was to go down the active route.

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of room size are you interested in? And how loud do you want to listen?Obviously, they are not going to give you enough output in a large room with double high ceilings for very loud playback. But I've heard them in a 25sqm room and they are fine. 
Others have reported no problem in a room over 50 and 60sqm.

You should talk to the dealer about your room and audition them.

I can tell you that they play quite loudly and produce lots of very low bass. I've measured them with 1-2 db rolloff down to 20 hz. And very  noticeable output even at 10hz. They won't give you the same physical impact as something with a 15 inch woofer, but they have plenty of bass - more than enough for most people.

Even modern recordings with lots of electronically generated, very deep notes aren't a problem for them. Don't forget that because of their design, you can push them to their limits without losing SQ or causing damage. But I doubt you will need to push them to their limits. 

With modern  technology we need to lose some of our preconceptions about speaker size. Active speakers with DSP allow precise control of longer throwing woofers,  so that much more clean bass can be produced with them without distortion or destruction of the woofer, than is possible with a conventional design.

Thanks. Are you using the speakers as part of an AV system and, if so, then is the latency from DSP problematic in terms sync with the video?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer
On 19/08/2017 at 11:28 AM, Hergest said:

Positive review in Stereophile. The latency is mentioned.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker

Interesting review. 

I liked this comment

"The Kii Three didn't just lift a veil away from the music—it removed a heavy cloak."

On 30/08/2017 at 9:15 PM, Greenjoyce3001 said:

I'm kicking myself that I did not get to hear these at the Sydney Hi-Fi show. When might the next opportunity be to hear the Kiis in Sydney?

Hi @Greenjoyce3001, we are in discussion with multiple retailers in Sydney who have expressed interest in stocking the Kii THREE although nothing is confirmed just yet. By all means get in touch with us directly if you are eager to hear them sooner and we will see what we can organise. Despite the universal praise in the reviews, hearing what they do for yourself is quite an eye opener.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:23 AM, zydeco said:

Thanks. Are you using the speakers as part of an AV system and, if so, then is the latency from DSP problematic in terms sync with the video?

No, just for music. The latency can be turned off/eliminated. Slight reduction in SQ, but useful for AV purposes. You can turn it back on when just listening to music.

16 minutes ago, firedog said:

No, just for music. The latency can be turned off/eliminated. Slight reduction in SQ, but useful for AV purposes. You can turn it back on when just listening to music.

Or you could just add some video delay if you have a player that supports it (e.g. HTPC Software such as KODI and JRiver) and enjoy the best always.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I’m seeing these speakers as a end game solution for our living room as the look to combine both excellent SQ and would allow me to reduce the box count. The only issue (other than price) is how they would fit into the setup and to this end I’ve got some questions that I’ve had answered from the web-site / reviews

1. How does one switch between analogue and digital inputs? (I’m thinking that my Aries Auralic would go direct into the controller but for AV I’d use analogue Pre out from pre-pro)

2. Does the remote volume work for both Digital and Analogue inputs? And is the Apple remote now a working solution?

3. How does one change the DSP settings (I.e., switch between the low latency for AV and full processing for music)?

Thanks in advance, Zydeco

24 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Thanks. I’m seeing these speakers as a end game solution for our living room as the look to combine both excellent SQ and would allow me to reduce the box count. The only issue (other than price) is how they would fit into the setup and to this end I’ve got some questions that I’ve had answered from the web-site / reviews

1. How does one switch between analogue and digital inputs? (I’m thinking that my Aries Auralic would go direct into the controller but for AV I’d use analogue Pre out from pre-pro)

2. Does the remote volume work for both Digital and Analogue inputs? And is the Apple remote now a working solution?

3. How does one change the DSP settings (I.e., switch between the low latency for AV and full processing for music)?

Thanks in advance, Zydeco

Hi @zydeco, Hopefully I can clarify these for you, you will have no issues integrating with an AV setup.

The “Kii CONTROL” is responsible for manipulating all inputs, settings and configuration for the system. Your digital sources can connect to the Kii Control and the Analogue direct to the XLR inputs on speaker. Input switching is via the array of capcitance touch buttons on the Kii Control.

The lossless volume control of the Kii Control is for all inputs, digital & analogue. The Apple remote can be paired with the Kii Control.

Advanced settings like DSP, EQ, Boundary, latency and phase mode are all accessible via the menu’s on the Control’s OLED screen. You can then create up to 6 user defined presets and toggle between them with one touch on the Kii control, meaning you can have the system dialed in to your taste and needs for each use case. ??

• Like 1

Note that the presets on the Kii Control behave a bit differently than most. These are not fixed settings that will be restored each time you press the button, but they act more like distinct workspaces. When you change some parameter while using a certain workspace, that change will be still there next time you select this workspace.

I have set up four use cases:

- exact phase totally flat for reference

- exact phase normal listening (tuned to the room/preferences)

- exact phase night listening (low volume optimised)

- low latency for AV

On 10/28/2017 at 1:54 AM, sonic_purity said:

Input switching is via the array of capcitance touch buttons on the Kii Control.

Yes, but you can also switch inputs with the Apple Remote.

Apple Remote is fully integrated with the Kii Control: volume control, mute (-20db) function, and source switching.

By the way, rumor has it a larger Kii Control with more features is due out soon.