MC240   

Call me old fashion but that's it for me.

I thunk they would not do it because the "whoniverse" would not like it.......but then the 13 advert made me think...."maybe....but they will still go the easy route." They didn' t.

i'll be watching for sure.  

Bill would be a problematic character now.  Ha ha

I hope they go straight (lets not take on everything at once) but more sciencey. Why? I am a huge fan of Dr Alice Roberts.  The appeal ( beyond the fact that she is nice to look at) is that she fits the Dr Carl Sagan or David Attenborough mould of enthusisam for science and she shares that passion.  I would not be surprised if our new Dr Who uses Alice as a part of her Doctor......or maybe that is just wishful thinking.  

Another positive is that they claim the new actors Dr audition " blew them away".

Its a good time in history to have a bit more science and a bit less fantasy in our science fiction.  Thats just me.  Others would disagree strongly I am sure. I'm not talking about making Dr Who a documentary, but it could be a little bit more relevant.  Isaac Asimov would approve i think.  He pondered the human dilemmas that technology could bring.  So yes, i am more of a nerd than a fantasist. 

PS.......edit ..oh ooh just found this one.

Edited by Briz Vegas

Cafad   

The main thing I am concerned about (because worried would not be quite the right word here) is that I've never heard of her so I don't know if my reaction should be positive or negative.  Time for some research I think.

Edited by Cafad

Martykt   

I'm kinda surprised by the decision, they already did that trick with Missy/Master.

I thought Missy was a great character but must admit I found to see her as the Master.

Reading the article apparently the BBC is on a big push for "greater diversity".

I guess that explains Bill Potts a black lesbian as the replacement for Clara Oswald.

You have to feel a little for Pearl Mackie though, tough act to have to follow Jenna Colemans amazing performance.

It's a worry when casting decisions get made for "diversity" reasons rather than choosing to make shows with more diverse characters in the first place.

That said I'm looking forward to the new season, I thoroughly enjoyed Peter Capaldi's character but I think it's time for the Doctor to stop wallowing in sorrow about being close to death and hopefully Jodie Whittaker and the new writer might be able to bring a more positive spin back to the character.

The next question of course is will the Doctors main companion be male again ??

Martykt   

The poster with Jodie Whittaker looks like the new series may work with her as the Doctor.

IMG_3190.JPG.13e78046d4fc0b2226a3818d07f73035.JPG

guru   

She was a very good actress in the broadchurch series and she can hold a scene so it will be interesting how they write for her.

JSmith   

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role. The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40626224

Few TV casting announcements can have been as long awaited as the name of the new Doctor Who and when the revelation finally came it sent social media into a frenzy.

_96965516_doctor_1.jpg

JSmith :ninja:

29 minutes ago, Cafad said:

The main thing I am concerned about (because worried would not be quite the right word here) is that I've never heard of her so I don't know if my reaction should be positive or negative.  Time for some research I think.

She is a brilliant actress. Not sure if you've watched any Broadchurch, but she was the mother of the missing boy from the first season.

Satanica   
1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

She is a brilliant actress. Not sure if you've watched any Broadchurch, but she was the mother of the missing boy from the first season.

Actually she was the mother of the murdered boy (not missing) from all three seasons, whoops spoiler! :D

JSmith   
1 hour ago, Martykt said:

I'm kinda surprised by the decision, they already did that trick with Missy/Master.

I am a bit too... I have no issue at all with a female actor playing a major role in anything, but the Dr Who series has never indicated that time lords can change gender, apart from when it happened to The Master recently and that seemed to have only been done to allow this new change.

Anyway, I expect Jodie will do quite well in the part as she is a fantastic actor and will certainly please many fans.

JSmith   

Some info from fans @ WP;

@54077469 CapnCoastie writes...
["It's also been referenced a few times on the canonical radio plays, I've heard."]

@54077475 NorthSiderTom writes...
["I believe it was mentioned off hand in the Doctor's Wife – The Corsair had changed genders."]

@54077526 SheldonE writes...
["And also in Hell Bent, one of the Timelord generals regenerates into a female."]

Fair calls... I stand corrected! :)

Well now I have no issue at all, it's probably about time then.

Martykt   
1 hour ago, JSmith said:

Well now I have no issue at all, it's probably about time then.

Could be a good thing even.... the TARDIS could well do with a woman's touch.....  the things been an absolute mess since Paul McGann..... :unsure:

Tweaky   

I sort of get the feeling that Dr Who will become a bit more cerebral, and a lot less ridiculous for the next series......well, I'm hoping it will, it's sort of become a time and space pantomime over the last five or six seasons. 

JSmith   

Interesting find by [email protected];

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/125629891

Tweaky   

Maybe they should have considered Eddie Izzard to play Dr Who for a couple of episodes, where the Peter Capaldi DR hadn't quite regenerated properly yet into Jodie Whittaker, and was a transsexual Dr Who for a while till the regeneration took 100%, after all, DR Who wasn't supposed to be able to regenerate this many times, so they could have had some fun with it.

I'd pay to see that, it would have been hilarious

It'll all be in the scripts. We got through some nonsense in the past few years. I'd love to see the new Doctor saving the universe while pregnant, breastfeeding (or however Time Lords do such things) and coping with a toddler. And meeting a couple of past companions for good measure.

In the meantime, I do hope that all concerned and especially Jodie Whittaker herself are ready for the mass attack of the sexist trolls. I'd say it's pretty much a certainty that it will be vile.

arthur63   

The concept, now coming to fruition, of a female Doctor Who is not new.

When the show ended in 1989 there were attempts to get it back on the air, aka 1996 tele-movie with Paul McGann. 

Here is a newspaper cutting that I kept from March 1998 with a very interesting title.

The article was about development of a Doctor Who film that never came to anything and it mentioned the possibility of a female actor in the role.

I never thought I would see this day come and waiting with interest for the first story.

doctor who_19980327.pdf

Cafad   
26 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

It'll all be in the scripts. We got through some nonsense in the past few years. I'd love to see the new Doctor saving the universe while pregnant, breastfeeding (or however Time Lords do such things) and coping with a toddler. And meeting a couple of past companions for good measure.

Actually I don't think Time Lords do, at least not in the new series.  Sort of a "No sex please, we're based on the British Gentry" situation.

48 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

No precedent obviously..........

image.jpeg

Monk   

I wasn't really looking for this season after seeing the trailer for it last year (or whenever it was), the companions didn't seem that likeable and it didn't look like much was going to happen.  But I didn't actually end up minding it.  Bill and Nardole were okay in the end, still not sure on the story arc though, but can't have everything.

I've never had a problem with Missy, I thought it was a well played character.  Although John Simm played her, err, him pretty well too.  I'm not sure on the Doctor being a woman, let's see how it goes, but I'm not going to bag the decision.  One thing I'm not exactly a fan of though is the people saying thinks like 'oh my god I'm going to watch now' and 'it's about time the Doctor was female' etc.  Why?  Things like that sound just as sexist as saying any other sexist thing and sounds like they don't really like the show in the first place.

And yeah, I lasted about 5 minutes into the first episode of The Whovians.  Could not get more unlikeable people involved in that in my opinion.