Does anyone dabble repairing speakers?

Hi all,

I have a pair of Legacy Skyline speakers that are for HT duties as rears.  I have noticed of late that when low frequencies during a movie are played, one of them will crackle during that period.

It will play perfectly fine apart from the lows.    Is there anyone in Sydney who would be interested in having a look to hopefully repair if possible?

Of course,I will compensate fairly.   I reside in Padstow,Sydney so if you aren't lightyears away and are interested,please let me know

Thanks,Jeff

Forgot to mention...... with no grills as such,just a spline with speaker cloth enveloping it, I haven't tried to check  the surrounds .However, i did contact Legacy and they informed me the surrounds were rubber

You'd find some in-home repair service to be extraordinarily expensive, if you can find such service to begin with.

If it really is one speaker that's causing the problem your most economical way to fix it is to courier it to either Legends or Speaker Hospital.

30 minutes ago, Happy said:

You'd find some in-home repair service to be extraordinarily expensive, if you can find such service to begin with.

If it really is one speaker that's causing the problem your most economical way to fix it is to courier it to either Legends or Speaker Hospital.

I would obviously take the  speaker to repairer.    Its a Legacy speaker from the US

2 minutes ago, Jeffro said:

I would obviously take the  speaker to repairer.    Its a Legacy speaker from the US

oh...i misread then.

ask legacy if they have their own dealer here who'd recommend a particular tech.

otherwise speaker hospital.

pull the woofer out and give it a visual inspect.. it might be something that you can get away with few drops of glue.. 

if the woofer is fine but crackles only at excursion then check 

1- glue integrity on the surrounds, is it all round firmly adhered

2- check glue on dustcap, is any side loose 

3- check inside around the spider for any abnormalities or loose glue

4- check where spider is glued to the cone and above that, are there any hairline cracks or abnormalities on the glue

5- check the cone, are there any wrinkled or bent areas on the surface, also check this from behind where the V starts sometimes cone is wrinkled , it looks fine when normal but bends and shifts the coil when pushed by the coil hence the crackle .. same issue can be caused by all of the above.. anything that shifts coil angle on excursion.. sometimes this is just under the dustcap at the coil/cone joint.. and dustcap needs to be removed to check. 

you can push excursion by hand but  it won't always show the problem, better way is to power the woofer with a 9v battery and observe/listen the issue. 

if you don't want to mess around with it.. then you can take it to any speaker repairer.. it's just a woofer .. doesn't need a manufacturer recommended special technician.. this is like fixing tyres for most speaker repairmen.. 

Edited by GhostCoast

Thanks for help guys

I do think its the speaker as I was running them as "Large" when they crackled the most

Running them as "small" it has definitely reduced the amount.