Mr Hyde

Buying a turntable under $1000?

Mr Hyde   

Hi all, 

This is my first post and very green on the forum scene. 

I have had a Dual 1225 turntable for a few years now, and love it. However it dropped the left channel, and upon investigation I found the heads shell damaged. A new one is only $50 from ebay but I only paid $110 for the table. I heard my brother in laws table last week, he has a reloop 7000, which sounded heaps better.... Which made me thinking of getting a nicer turntable. (not interested in a DJ table, just for listening) 

I don't really want to spend over $1000 and like the look of the project rpm3. I have also heard good things about a Rega planar 3. 

I would love some advice and recommendations on a table or other brands I can do some research on. 

Cheers, 

soundfan   

Welcome Benny

Check out the turntable/vinyl threads. Tons of threads similar to yours from those looking for turntables at xxx prices.

Edited by soundfan

Happy   

Go used especially from some well established members here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both of those are terrific 'tables, but sound very different. Listen for yourself and see what you like. Don't discount second hand, either. You can get a much better 'table for the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondhand is it! Basically you get a next one or two step up compare to buy new in terms of money. Get tt from this forum and you will probably be getting tts which are well looked after so why buy new...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have been waiting to see what the new MoFi tables would sound like. They've been teased for almost a year now.

Made in the USA. Designed by guys who know LPs and turntables.

Have been told the base table will be about 1.5k

Which preamp are you using? That can make a huge difference to the sound produced by a table. Sometimes a preamp upgrade is the best first step.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And welcome, I've been here about 6 weeks....great place full of great people.....of course you can end up spending a heap...but welcome!

i have a Rega planar 3 and a RP1...and echo the wisdom of listening before you buy...never know what level your hearing stops at!

Spending $1000 on a turntable is a lot of money when you can spend a couple hundred on a decent vintage turntable, and then consider spending the rest on a better cartridge as well as an amplifier. If you really want to hear vinyl as it was supposed to be heard you need a tube amplifier. I reckon you spend the other $800 or not even there first.

To be honest I was looking at this for myself, but I bought something else elsewhere and I don't really need 30wats per side. Seldom are people reminded its not about how many watts people have but how efficient your speakers are.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/donvale/other-audio/tube-valve-stereo-amplifier-receiver/1151458098

Edited by Roumelio.

Batty   

Sorry Roumelio I cannot agree with you about needing a valve amp. There are many many great SS amps out there that will do the job well.

stevoz   
13 minutes ago, Roumelio. said:

If you really want to hear vinyl as it was supposed to be heard you need a tube amplifier.

Not really (depends how old you are I suppose)......when I started buying systems back in the 70's, I only ever had solid state amps and the vinyl sounded warm, dynamic.......and stunning! The above statement is certainly open for debate......:)

4 minutes ago, Batty said:

Sorry Roumelio I cannot agree with you about needing a valve amp. There are many many great SS amps out there that will do the job well.

Vinyl is a an analogue medium, to hear it as it was intended rather than deconstructed, reconstructed and deconstructed again you need an analogue amplifier. Sorry to poo poo on the parade, but the reality is that a tube amplifier will sound better than even the most expensive solid state amplifiers and that's the reality. You're not running everything unnecessarily through a DAC to achieve your output.

Edited by Roumelio.

Batty   

This could go on for ever .... So I will say no more other than 'Design is all'

Hergest   

I think it's time to split the thread and move some of it to the Great debate as this will go t.its up pretty soon I reckon and the poor old original poster will be wondering what the hell has he started.

Edited by Hergest

Wimbo   
On 7/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, DoggieHowser said:

I have been waiting to see what the new MoFi tables would sound like. They've been teased for almost a year now.

Made in the USA. Designed by guys who know LPs and turntables.

Have been told the base table will be about 1.5k

They have just been released in the States. $1000-$1500 US.

7 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I think it's time to split the thread and move some of it to the Great debate as this will go t.its up pretty soon I reckon and the poor old original poster will be wondering what the hell has he started.

To be fair I made a suggestion. There was no intent to reopen the can of worm about solid state. I've chosen my side of the fence. Each thing aside, solid state is designed for listening to solid state media, CDs and digital audio. That's OK also. But there is no denying the facts of what a DAC has to do in order to achieve an output signal. You can't just turn a sine wave, into a square wave and back into a sine wave again and expect no signal degradation especially where people are spending as little as $50 on DACs these days. That was an honest suggestion if you're going to have a dedicated analogue listening space as I do have now.

It's not about the benefits of going digital of which there are plenty.

Edited by Roumelio.

t_mike   
Just now, Roumelio. said:

Vinyl is a an analogue medium, to hear it as it was intended rather than deconstructed, reconstructed and deconstructed again you need an analogue amplifier. Sorry to poo poo on the parade, but the reality is that a tube amplifier will sound better than even the most expensive solid state amplifiers and that's the reality. 

OK... Horses for courses.

Valves definitely have a sound of their own, but that doesn't make them the perfect analogue solution. Each and every one of us has a preferred sound we like, to say valves or SS is ideal will never be correct for everyone. Without trying to blow the SS horn, I have to counter your suggestion. Most of the vinyl we listen to (produced from the mid 60's especially) has been recorded, engineered and mixed on SS equipment, which has offered the sound effects made famous by rock music. This in itself I feel reduces the legitimacy of your suggestion. Further, given the microphonic tendency of valves, for the best sound from them, you will need an ideal environment, something not everyone can do.

Most of the music recorded prior to the 1980s was mastered on reel to reel tape, a pure analogue medium. Of course if you're going to listen to stuff that is not mastered like that there is no benefit to going analogue in the first place. But, I don't have any new vinyl and that's the thing. I don't buy anything that was mastered digitally I don't care if its pressed on 200gram vinyl. If I want to listen to digital I'll listen to it through a solid state medium such as Tidal/Spotify. Each horse for each course.

Edited by Roumelio.

t_mike   

To the OP, do a search on ebay of turntables for sale. Sort them from least expensive to most expensive. You can now see what is currently available in your price range. From here you will get a good idea of what bang you can get for your buck. You may even find some brands you hadn't considered/ heard of before. What ever you find, I'm sure there will be someone here that can answer any questions you may have. 

You can try to emulate the sound but a valve itself will never be digital. The closest thing is a hybrid solid state/valve amplifier which is utterly pointless from my perspective... Digital PCB, circuit amplifier sound comes out of the circuits and capacitors. The latest trend is OP amps (which are a 20cent part) actually even in expensive solid state amps which should tell you something. Analogue, valves, sound comes out of valves, for the most part.

Tube amps use a special glass container called a vacuum tube for the fact that no air is inside of it. As an example  a triode amp has three electrodes, placed between cathodes and anodes. The electrode has a negative charge that changes in response to an input signal, in turn this produces a pure analogue sine wave being the perfect analogue audio wave format. This is the benefit of the tube amp in the first place, but you need an analogue signal in the first place.

Edited by Roumelio.

stevoz   
36 minutes ago, Roumelio. said:

To be fair I made a suggestion.  Each thing aside, solid state is designed for listening to solid state media, CDs and digital audio.

To be fair, solid state came along at least 15 years before digital formats and the need for DAC's even existed and as such was front and centre in the vinyl/analogue 'glory years'........it comes down to listening tastes and subjectivity. I know what I like.....

Edited by stevoz