Esoteric v Accuphase

Having recently purchased Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby grands I have been considering Class A integrated amps.
Of particular interest are
Accuphase E600 $15995 rrp plus on board Dac & phono card
Esoteric F03A $15500 rrp includes phono stage + approx $1000 Dac 
Your thoughts guys
Thank you in advance

VA Baby Grands are great speakers, I have a set in my second system and @Hergest is correct they do like power and lots of it. As for buying a new amp and dac etc why not look in the classifieds here, plenty of members selling great amps, dacs and just about everything else you may need often for very reasonable dollars. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

Both are Class-A 30w into 8ohms and double into 4ohms and 2ohms.

Without hearing.

But just looking at the 2 internal pics, I like the Esoteric more, re: it's multiple smaller power supply caps, larger E/I Core transformer and many more finer heatsink fins.

Cheers George

g_photo08.jpg e-600_top_r_1024x1024.jpg?v=1447959124

• Like 1

Why the insistence on Class A? Class A/B can (and often is) just as good. Indeed, if you are playing mostly classical, Class A/B is often preferred, due to the relative slowness of pure class A when sudden transients occur, as they often do in classical music. Apparently, Class A amps can be slower to respond than class A/B. I've only heard this....not speaking from experience. Try, before you buy.

17 minutes ago, MusicOne said:

Class A/B is often preferred, due to the relative slowness of pure class A when sudden transients occur, as they often do in classical music.

This is only the case if the amp has a mediocre or under spec power supply, or if the components have been taxed beyond their best operating range.

Class-A sound magic, if done right.

With these two quality amps running only at 30w class-A, I doubt they'd be taxed and neither their power supplies, but you can bet anything above that 30w is going over to A/B judging by the heatsinks.

Cheers George   

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

This is only the case if the amp has a mediocre or under spec power supply, or if the components have been taxed beyond their best operating range.

Class-A sound magic, if done right.

With these two quality amps running only at 30w class-A, I doubt they'd be taxed and neither their power supplies, but you can bet anything above that 30w is going over to A/B judging by the heatsinks.

Cheers George   

Thanks for the clarification George. They are obviously both quality amps.

Just now, Qwertyqaz said:

Side topic but what is Class A for ME 850

I have 2 of them one for bass <150hz at normal around 15w, the other for the big esl >150hz panels I biased it up to around 35w.

Cheers George 

Just now, georgehifi said:

I have 2 of them one for bass <150hz at normal around 15w, the other for the big esl >150hz panels I biased it up to around 35w.

Cheers George 

So what about standard model ? I know you tweaked yours.

1 minute ago, gryphongryph said:

Must say I like the Accuphase looks a lot better, but both are probably fine amps.

It's what's inside that counts and the Esoteric to me looks the goods, re my first post.

Cheers George

2 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

So what about standard model ? I know you tweaked yours.

Still a very fine amp in standard bias, I'm just a Class-A junky after building many of them, one even water cooled, which was a struggling two man lift.

Cheers George 

Edited by georgehifi

Great comments all,

Having auditioned the Accuphase E600 I can confirm a very liquid even organic master sounding amplifier. Living here in WA I can't audition the Esoteric anywhere and as a result I may by default have begun many yrs of listening pleasure courtesy of Accuphase. 

I do believe there may be a new model being released sometime in the near future.

Cost no object i'de go with their A47 Pwr amp and C2420 pre. We can all dream a Little !

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Neither unfortunately,

Strongly recommend going the separates as that gives you the apportunity to fine tune.

eg Get a valve pre and something like the Pass Labs Power Amp that is currently on sale.

Which pass labs do you recommend as they have an extensive  range which review well.

Same problem for me here as with the Esoteric. Nowhere to audition in WA

Troy

On 03/07/2017 at 6:08 AM, Hergest said:

Any particular reason you want to go the Class A route? I had a pair of early VA Beethovens and they really, really came alive with plenty of good power. 

I find at 30watts class A

On 03/07/2017 at 6:08 AM, Hergest said:

Any particular reason you want to go the Class A route? I had a pair of early VA Beethovens and they really, really came alive with plenty of good power. 

plenty of power. Very fluid sounding to my ears and non fatiguing

• Like 1

Hi @ImpulsesszVA speakers take many hours of use to start to sound their best, especially the Baby Grands which change considerably sq wise after being truly run in.

My point is if your speakers are brand new and you are auditioning amps with them then you are not hearing what your system will actually sound like in a few months time. 

So what you might like now you might not once the speakers have a couple of hundred hours on them. Just something to be aware of and try to take into consideration.

A question if you don'd mind, given the amps you are looking at did you also audition the Concert Grands or the Litz?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

1 minute ago, TerryO said:

VA speakers take many hours of use to start to sound their best, especially the Baby Grands which change considerably sq wise after being truly run in.

My point is if your speakers are brand new and you are auditioning amps with them then you are not hearing what your system will actually sound like in a few months time. 

So what you might like now you might not once the speakers have a couple of hundred hours on them. Just something to be aware.

A question if you don'd mind, did you also audition the Concert Grands or the Litz's?

cheers Terry

This is very good advice.

VA BBGs take at least 200 hours before they settle and cease being bright, shiny and thin sounding. After this the mellow out and become more balanced. You may not think they sound bright and thin but wait until they are well used and you will see ( hear ) what I mean.

Personally I couldn't get on with them and to this day I dislike any VA speakers, but that is just my opinion and I am not saying that many others will agree.

The other thing to be aware of is that they are ,on paper, efficient and ( supposedly ) easy to drive, but I urge you not to trust the specifications. You will need a reasonably powerful amplifier and those mentioned will certainly do the job and another amp I would throw into the mix is the Luxman 590AX for class A or if you go AB then a 507 UX

I personally love Class A amps and either of the two you are looking at are very good but the 590 AX is just sublime and at $10K, a relative bargain compared to the other two,which leaves you with $5K to keep or spend on whatever you like

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

This is very good advice.

VA BBGs take at least 200 hours before they settle and cease being bright, shiny and thin sounding. After this the mellow out and become more balanced. You may not think they sound bright and thin but wait until they are well used and you will see ( hear ) what I mean.

Personally I couldn't get on with them and to this day I dislike any VA speakers, but that is just my opinion and I am not saying that many others will agree.

The other thing to be aware of is that they are ,on paper, efficient and ( supposedly ) easy to drive, but I urge you not to trust the specifications. You will need a reasonably powerful amplifier and those mentioned will certainly do the job and another amp I would throw into the mix is the Luxman 590AX for class A or if you go AB then a 507 UX

I personally love Class A amps and either of the two you are looking at are very good but the 590 AX is just sublime and at $10K, a relative bargain compared to the other two,which leaves you with $5K to keep or spend on whatever you like

Thank you very much for your input.

It just so happens the retailer where I purchased the VA'S also have the Lux amps mentioned.

I'll audition them and post my findings

Troy