Esoteric v Accuphase

2 hours ago, Impulsessz said:

I can pick up the E600 for 10k as a demo special

The best price on the F03A  $13950

Accuphase mosfets Vs Esoteric BJT's...

Know which one I would select...

11 hours ago, Conch Blowa said:

What's wrong with BJT's?

Nothing at all, always better than mosfets for current delivery into harder loads, if all else is equal'ish

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

4 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Nothing at all, always better than mosfets for current delivery into harder loads.

Cheers George

George would you call 86db sensitivity 4ohm (average) Impedance. (A low of 2.3ohms...high of approx 6ohms) a difficult load ?

That's what a recent test review found with my viennas

15 minutes ago, Impulsessz said:

George would you call 86db sensitivity 4ohm (average) Impedance. (A low of 2.3ohms...high of approx 6ohms) a difficult load ?

That's what a recent test review found with my viennas

Yes, as that 2.3ohms is hard enough especially if in the bass, but "could" also be combined with a high negative phase angle as well, making that 2.3ohm look more like 1ohm to the amp. I will see if I can get a proper impedance v negative phase angle graph on these Viennas, what is the Name and model number of them?

Cheers George

2 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Yes, as that 2.3ohms is hard enough especially if in the bass, but "could" also be combined with a high negative phase angle as well, making that 2.3ohm look more like 1ohm to the amp. I will see if I can get a proper impedance v negative phase angle graph on these Viennas, what is the Name and model number of them?

Cheers George

Beethoven Baby grands...

Found it, and yes I would go with the Esoteric, As not only are these 2.3ohm at 80-100hz, 3ohms at 35hz, the power region, they also have 4ohm and negative pahse of 30 degrees at 30hz. So the Bass region is more suited to an amp with BJT (bi-polar) output stage.

Cheers George

115VaBefig1.jpg

Edited by georgehifi

3 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Found it, and yes I would go with the Esoteric, As not only are these 2.3ohm at 80-100hz the power region, they also have 4ohm and negative pahse of 30 degrees at 30hz. So the Bass region is more suited to an amp with BJT (bi-polar) output stage.

Cheers George

115VaBefig1.jpg

Thank you..but bugger- was favouring Accuphase !

that is why I posted here in the 1st place... for invaluable advice like that just given..

MOSFET's are out then..

BJT's it is

Is there a decernable dif  between the 2

52 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Nothing at all, always better than mosfets for current delivery into harder loads, if all else is equal'ish

Cheers George

Does that rule out designs like the pass labs or even the bhk 300 (I know, not an integrated but...) even tho these spec as doubling down?

9 minutes ago, Impulsessz said:

Is there a decernable dif  between the 2

Yes in that whole bass region the Mosfet "MAY" not sound as powerfull or controled as the BJT.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

11 minutes ago, todagt said:

Does that rule out designs like the pass labs or even the bhk 300 (I know, not an integrated but...) even tho these spec as doubling down?

Yes maybe even with some of Pass's Mosfet amps. I believe he also uses BJT's maybe still in some models.

Agostino, Krell and Parasound JC Halo models and many other amps with renown bass control don't use Mosfets 

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

5 minutes ago, Impulsessz said:

Besides Esoteric any other recommendations ?

For integrateds there would be a few esoteric ones.

Parasound Halo integrated John Curl design, it's got everything bar the kitchen sink, with this you get a ESS dac in it as well.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

7 hours ago, georgehifi said:

For integrateds there would be a few esoteric ones.

Parasound Halo integrated John Curl design, it's got everything bar the kitchen sink, with this you get a ESS dac in it as well.

Cheers George

Parasound JC1's have been recommended-14k 

47 minutes ago, Impulsessz said:

Matched JFET input stages and MOSFET driver stages !

As quoted by parasound- I'm a little puzzled 

There's another stage after the driver stage and that's the output stage (BJT) that drives the speakers.

Cheers George

22 hours ago, Conch Blowa said:

What's wrong with BJT's?

Absolutely nothing...

Didn't want to start a debate on the OP's thread...

If the only real difference was Mosfets Vs BJT's...

I would take BJT's every time...

@Impulsessz...the FO5 is Esoteric's newest member of their latest integrated release...

Class A + BJT's all the way & coupled to one of the best pre amp sections going...

All in 1 box...haven't heard one yet but geez I would love to...

It would be my pick in a heart beat...