Tassie Devil

Warning about importing from the USA (& possibly elswhere)

Hey there, are you trying to put some of us behind bars?  How could be then buy AV goodies?

Strictly speaking you are of course correct, but unless the receiver lied to Customs when queried, and got their backs up, it is doubtful if the receiver would be prosecuted.  Of course the reason many firms will not agree to write down values is they could get into serious trouble in their own country, maybe fined or even worse.

Not a good idea to try too much smuggling!!!!!:emot-bang:

MattyW   

Not saying I wouldn't do it myself (not hiding murder or anything), just what is likely the technicalities of the situation. Trying to convince myself I don't need a Grado Statement Reference 1 listed online in the UK right now for $1,300......

2 hours ago, Smp said:

Notwithstanding the fraud you are committing, if under those circumstances you are unlucky and the item is lost/stolen/damaged your loss will always be limited to the declared value of the item by the seller (viz.invoice value) and is the only figure Insurers will consider.

🙄

God give me a break Mr Boy Scout.

Smp   
19 minutes ago, metalheadz said:

🙄

God give me a break Mr Boy Scout.

Let's keep it civil................

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tassie Devil
      I'm discussing problems associated with importing items over $AUD1000 so are subject to Customs and GST charges - they mount up!

It is too easy to be lulled into the belief that at an exchange rate of 75C - 76C you can import and save heaps over what a local distributor charges for the same thing.  Think again because there are factors which are easily overlooked:

1. Customs charge a $90 handling fee
      2. Audio items attract a duty charge
      3. GST is added on top of freight costs

The net result is that you effectively need to muliply the basic cost in USD by a factor of 1.74 to cover all exchange, freight, customs and GST charges.  e.g. something you discover listed at $USD1500 will end up costing you over $AUD2600 in total.

And there is another frustration.  You pay a bit extra for faster delivery.  Yes it is fast to arrive at the Customs depot but there it will sit for a week or more before you receive notification from Customs.  You will be required to email them all invoices, clearly showing freight costs and will then have to fill in an Import Declaration form which state the tariff classification of the goods (you have to hunt up that number from their site at www.border.gov.au) .  After awhile you will receive their costings which can be paid by CC on the net with an added surchage because the CC was used!

Obviously you are better buying locally for guarantee purposes, even if it means paying a bit more, but it well could be that the local costs are actually less!!  And of course buying locally is much less hassle and you will get the goods heaps faster.

As I understand it, the current rules and regulations regarding goods with a declared value of less than $AUD1000 still hold so the above scenario does not apply.  However freight charges are now quite high from many countries, including the USA, so heavy, used items, even if available at enticing prices, might not end up good value, particularly if they prove to be unreliable. Maybe I've been lucky as I've not had my fingers burned with such used gear but I certainly did find myself paying more than I should have on a new import.  Hence this post to warn others!