Power Amp or not?

Adding power amps could provide you with a better result. The ease the load on the Yamaha and that might be good if it's struggling to drive the B&W speakers. They do enjoy a bit of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I see. They would sound better, I'd think. Can you borrow them and find out what they'd sound like? It's the best way to know if YOU think it's worth the money. Enjoy the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you need them? Perhaps, if you are not quite satisfied with the sound from the Yamaha. It probably has the potential to be a worthwhile addition, but you need to consider a number of things first. Condition, asking price, power rating etc. Seeing as its an offer from a good friend, perhaps they would be willing to let you audition them with your system first. Only then will you really know if it would be a worthwhile purchase.

It's well documented on here how much I chop and change my system but one thing remains constant and I will always have a power amp with my AVR's. Even a 70w power amp makes a big difference with a 100w per channel avr.

1 hour ago, Nobbie49 said:

I am new at this so need advice.  Using 5 B&W speakers with my Yamaha RX A-1060 I was told I'd better add 2 Bryston Power amps.  True or false? Thank you

there are B&W speakers and B&W speakers... not sure on bryson pairing..but if on offer why not check it out :)

there are some grunty avrs...but most are weedy...and a power can help not just in driving ability but also in clean power. better dynamics etc given the greater power reserves on tap with a power amp vs compromises of squishing power stages into AVRs.

10 years is not that old. I'm pretty sure Bryston have a transferable 20 year warranty, something to add into your consideration. They have a good reputation.

Regards,

SS

Edited by Sub Sonic
Spelling

Most dedicated good quality stereo 2 channel audio power amps like Bryston would sound better than a $2k Av amp in terms of detail, clarity, imaging and punchlines.

It would be good to know what model B&W speakers you have to see if they will do justice to the Bryston amps. Bryston amp model and price as well?

It will also depend on what kind of hifi listener you are and if you might be able to hear the difference. Some listeners don't hear differences no matter what one puts in front of them.

A description or picture of room and gear setup would also help to see if it is correct to appreciate higher quality gear.

"How long is a piece of string" is he old adage here. Until we can ascertain the efficiency of the speaker its a little hard to tell. Amps aren't all equal either as per above, and we don't know exactly what Bryston amp is on offer. They've been making amps since 1962. Some specifications would help here in determining the best pathway forward including the efficiency of those speakers and the model of the Bryston amps on offer. Bryston can be a high end brand or it can be a Canadian volume brand, it really just depends. Until we can understand the whole package together its hard to say whether there is any benefit or not.

Edited by Roumelio.