Insulation v's Foam

I was just wanting to know what is better for room panels.

Insulation wether it be polyester, fibreglass or whatever or acoustic foam like the stuff on ebay , wedged, eggshell or just plain.

I want to make some panels and just wanted peoples thoughts.

Thanks

Phillip.

Foam is cheap and easy to install as it's also very light. For absorption in the midrange and above, it's the cheap easy quick solution. The weakness with these foam panels is that they tend to be quite limited in low midrange absorption. Foam bass traps are in most cases better described as low midrange absorbers.

For better performance you want higher density materials like rigid fibreglass or acoustic polyester. Rigid fibreglass is simply a higher density version of thermal batts - it requires covering and it's nasty stuff to handle. In terms of performance it's similar to a high density polyester acoustic panel but polester has no handling issues and you might get away with not wrapping in fabric at all.

Guest Peter the Greek

FWIW Fiberglass is a million times easier to cut that either foam or polyester.....all other nastiness aside

23 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

FWIW Fiberglass is a million times easier to cut that either foam or polyester.....all other nastiness aside

Have to agree, pest to slice and dice like the glass bats

Heads up :) A Mate of mine was showing me some left over Earth Wool (cheap crap Bunnings bats) sound check R2.5's they were really heavy and looked excellent for inside the walls, not to mention quite a bit better price than the CSR stuff

On 6/26/2017 at 7:29 PM, Peter the Greek said:

Breadknives or Stanley knives need not apply! That's why we cut to size. RF on the other hand is easily cut but the downside is it must be wrapped in fabric.

When I get the chance, I will be making some custom panels for my ceiling and rear wall. The ceiling panel with black slats over black Polymax over a black ceiling. The rear wall panel with varnished timber slats over Polymax. These have to be quick builds or they will never ever happen!

3 minutes ago, Paul Spencer said:

Breadknives or Stanley knives need not apply! That's why we cut to size. RF on the other hand is easily cut but the downside is it must be wrapped in fabric.

When I get the chance, I will be making some custom panels for my ceiling and rear wall. The ceiling panel with black slats over black Polymax over a black ceiling. The rear wall panel with varnished timber slats over Polymax. These have to be quick builds or they will never ever happen!

Slats, never are quick by any means :sorry:

Guest Peter the Greek
5 minutes ago, Paul Spencer said:

Breadknives or Stanley knives need not apply!

A mate of mine gave me a whole pile of polyester off-cut (and a full sheet) recently. He used a very large pair of tailors scissors.....a beautiful cut. BUT very, very slow and also quite painful on the hand from what he tells me....I'm too impatient for that

slats or slotted treatments are IMHO the ultimate though, but time consuming

Beauty and acoustic ability are in the ears and eyes of the on looker though :) 

IMG_5126.JPG

1 minute ago, Paul Spencer said:

Compared to drilling hundreds of holes with a large spade bit.

Or routing dozens of slots to within 1mm accuracy so the job looks Ok.

You have a point Paul. Any way is either hard, tedious and or insanely expensive if pre fab.

2 minutes ago, Paul Spencer said:

And besides ... "this will be quick" is what I always say at the start of a DIY project. Otherwise, I never even start.

Yes, I try the same but even  2  framed panels can take  couple of weekends provided it all goes well 

We can stick with the "fast" sounds good :thumb: