So many amps, how do you choose?

Getting an in-home trial seems to be a hidden art and living regionally, finding the opportunity to get around to multiple stores to demo various amps can be...difficult. Not to mention some stores/salespeople that seem uninterested in what you want and would rather spend your visit to them trying to get you to double or triple your budget and buy amplifiers that they don't even have in stock/won't take the time to let you demo.

On the shortlist of power amps, sub-$2k, at the moment (to team with the new Gieseler Konverter pre/dac) are

Roksan K3

Marantz MM7025

Primare a34.2

Parasound Halo A23

Musical Fidelity A5CR / M6PXR (second hand, if one pops up)

NuPrime ST-10

Wyred4Sound ST-500mk2

Hypex nCore (James Romeyn, stereo version)....any local sellers of nCore amps?

Of these, I've only managed to hear the Marantz and Parasound. I wanted to love the Primare but it just didn't quite get me tapping along, while the Marantz was OK, but....it's Marantz (personal bias, probably unfounded, but I just don't see them as anything better than 'barely mid-fi').

So how do you narrow down what's going to work in your room with your components (as mentioned, dac/pre is the Konverter, speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 8, source is either Oppo BD-95 or SBT)

Edited by ~Spyne~
  • Like 1

There's no need to choose, you just buy them all, test them out and then you will know what you want.

You know, now that I see those words in front of me they don't seem to make quite as much sense as when I was thinking them.  Oh well, I'm sure everything will work out for the best in the end.

I can offer a home demo on an Exposure Classic 28.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/86667-exposure-classic-28-power-amp/#comment-1410468

The price has dropped to $500 since that add was placed.

On the crop of amps listed above I can only comment on the Marantz (I agree with your personal bias, they aren't bad but they just aren't special, unless you want your digital sources to sound a bit like analogue with that added warmth) and the Nuprime, I wasn't real impressed with the one I had for a while.  I'm not saying it was terrible but it wasn't as special as all the tech talk on Nuprimes' site would have you believe.

Be sure to let us know your impressions if you managed to lasso any of them into your listening room.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Can't comment on the Holton yet (still waiting for mine), but after hearing the Stellar's two weeks ago I would have to agree with @DoggieHowser - save a bit more and add these to your short list. Stunning - not for the price - just, stunning. The price is a bonus.

• Like 3

having heard the mf and MA silver 8 together I know they make a good combo...but that was with the mf pre and also hearing just the a5 integrated. so no idea how the dac pre will go with what have in mind. and i do think pre pwr matching is a pretty important thing. so some how i would be trying to get a demo or trying together. if all too old then maybe trying to get demo or new of what ever considering. otherwise could be a bit hit miss. 

the marantz power indeed are not their strongest point, all marantz AV power amps if look inside they look like the amp stage out of their avrs and nothing special. their 2ch integrated or power amps are a different thing in my opinion. but are either costly new or rarely seem to come up second hand.

• Like 1

This is how I narrow it down: 

1. Decide my budget. I sometimes choose things I can't really afford - in that case, I decide if it's really worth waiting months while I save up for it. 

2. Decide on how much power I need

3. Decide which "flavour" to go for - SS, valve, Class A, A/B, D, etc. 

That narrows your choices down considerably. 

If a hifi shop is hesitant to lend you equipment, try this. Offer to pay the full amount for a home trial, with a 100% money back guarantee. If the amp is damaged, they deduct the repair cost from the money they are holding. If they still won't lend you an amp, look elsewhere. 

• Like 3

Unless you are after the latest bells and whistles like remote and similar to a Roksan build and sound quality, little older, would be used - Audiolab 8000A usually $300-500, Copland CSA14 in gumtree for $650, Yamaha A1000 amp for $900 in gumtree which is twice the build quality and spec of all previously mentioned, plus a bunch of others to keep an eye out for.

Edited by Al.M

Guest jakeyb77
3 hours ago, Cafad said:

@~Spyne~ check this out.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/125061-fs-me240-hi-cap-option-very-good-condition/

It is hard to go wrong with an ME240, especially with a DAC/pre with a low output impedance like the Konverter. 

The ME240 that @gat474 has for sale is a surprising performer! Try it out. You won't be sorry. 

Lots of good amps in the classified.  I believe the Konverter has a tube stage (my previous PDX had one). If so, maybe amp with lots of power to bring out the bass and clean high. I believe worth trying the MF or Parasound.

I am using a Yamaha which is also worth a try if it goes well with the speakers.

1 hour ago, Dave the Rave said:

Lots of good amps in the classified.  I believe the Konverter has a tube stage (my previous PDX had one). If so, maybe amp with lots of power to bring out the bass and clean high. I believe worth trying the MF or Parasound.

I am using a Yamaha which is also worth a try if it goes well with the speakers.

But waiting for the diamond in the classifieds takes soooooo long :)

No tube stage in the new Konverter, I believe that was how the original Konverter was designed though.

I have had a ps audio on demo for a couple of weeks with my ma8 and adelaide summoner speakers. Found it to have loads of detail good lf but no body in the midrange. Have nuprime st10 which is better fit in my system -great lf nice smooth mids and hf. Only issue is lack of hf at lower volumes such as at night when family in bed. 

Running my ma8 with odessey khartago bought on SNA last year and is a very musical combination.  It's a keeper. Bargain buying from Klaus from the US.  Can make to order and will put a lot of more $$$  amps in its shadow even with import duties. 

Your search may never end.

Guest jakeyb77

Buy them all. Then buy the speakers to match. Then try different cables with them all. 

Why choose at all?? 

I hooked my old Audio Research Ref 5SE to the Stellars and the results were stunning. I've always used tube preamps with Class D amps but the Stellar is a lot less lean than most Class Ds.

That said, the Monitor Audios are kinda lean to start with - so having a tube preamp would make a big impact - whichever power amp was chosen.

Guest Muon N'

Don't forget the new saksa85 from Aspen Amplifiers :)

I'm running one in at the moment for a mate and even now with only a couple of hours on it, it's impressive.