How much does one have to spend to upgrade from Magnepans

Hi all,

I am contemplating a system upgrade, again.

In my experience, speakers provide the maximum upgrade per dollar spent. However I am not sure that the budget that I have (say 4k plus whatever I can get from my current speakers, which is likely to be around 2k) would allow any significant sound quality upgrade from my Maggies 1.7.

Is there anyone out there who has left the maggies world and found better, without spending a fortune?

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

If you have to stick to panels maybe a used Martin Logan Ethos electrostat for around $4-5k or Ambience 1800 ribbon hybrids for around $2k used. Otherwise $4k could get you some decent three way driver box speakers. 

• Like 1

I went to Lenehan MLT3 speakers and thought they were a great upgrade from 1.7's.

The 1.7's are in a league of their own in the top end with small intimate music with wind, brass, string instruments.

It was the midrange and bass that I was never quite as happy with.

The Lenehans just seem to have more body and dynamics to the music and vocals.

Edited by rocky500

Spatial Hologram M3's are in my mind, an obvious direction to take for anyone wanting a bit more omph than the Maggies provide and take advantage of the minimalized room reflections just like ribbons or electrostatics do. Much smaller size and cooler aestetic too. $4k delivered from McLeans. The Holograms are also very good at lower volumes, which is important to me, as my wife hates loud music.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, o2so said:

Hi all,

I am contemplating a system upgrade, again.

In my experience, speakers provide the maximum upgrade per dollar spent. However I am not sure that the budget that I have (say 4k plus whatever I can get from my current speakers, which is likely to be around 2k) would allow any significant sound quality upgrade from my Maggies 1.7.

Is there anyone out there who has left the maggies world and found better, without spending a fortune?

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

The obvious question is, what do you think is missing from your current setup?

IMHO you'll need to spend a lot of money to get anything near the transparency and delicacy of Maggies - I moved away from panels (not maggies) into horns and in some ways it was just a different flavour of 'good'

If you are looking for more slam or bass extension, maybe consider adding a sub (or two). I'm sure @andyr would happily chew your ear off about the benefits of this (and he's right!)

• Like 4

The obvious question is, what do you think is missing from your current setup?
IMHO you'll need to spend a lot of money to get anything near the transparency and delicacy of Maggies - I moved away from panels (not maggies) into horns and in some ways it was just a different flavour of 'good'

If you are looking for more slam or bass extension, maybe consider adding a sub (or two). I'm sure [mention=104099]andyr[/mention] would happily chew your ear off about the benefits of this (and he's right!)

Oh I did add two REL T5 and a digital room correction system. Massive improvement in punch.
In fact, I'm quite happy of my system right now. But since when upgrading has anything to do with how happy one is of their system?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Spatial Hologram M3's are in my mind, an obvious direction to take for anyone wanting a bit more omph than the Maggies provide and take advantage of the minimalized room reflections just like ribbons or electrostatics do. Much smaller size and cooler aestetic too. $4k delivered from McLeans. The Holograms are also very good at lower volumes, which is important to me, as my wife hates loud music.

I had my eyes on the M3s too. Have you had a chance to compare these with Maggies?
Also, are you sure the price is 4k only?

11 minutes ago, o2so said:

I had my eyes on the M3s too. Have you had a chance to compare these with Maggies?
Also, are you sure the price is 4k only?

That's what I paid last year but FX fluctuations and supply/demand could effect price I guess, I know Bill doesn't carry much stock or actively push the brand. I traded my Maggies to Bill to get the M3's, but never heard them side by side. It was a leap of faith that paid off.

The Spatials are much better with rock or EDM, and are a quasi horn/waveguide design to help take the room out of the picture. If you believe the designer, having such a low crossover point (600hz IIRC by using a custom designed compression driver instead of traditional tweeter) also helps by keeping the crossover out of critical vocal frequencies.

• Like 1

If you really want to go up the tree there are far more esoteric Spatial designs as well.

I believe there is a new compression driver for the M3's now which takes them to 16ohm and very easily driven by SET amps. Even with mine I've demo'ed SS integrateds with only 50wpc and it's way more than I need.

[mention=149395]o2so[/mention] You should head up to Mcleans if you can. Bill's got the Spatials on the floor,so doing a comparo with the 1.7's should be easy.There's nothing like letting your ears decide.

Mah, i wish i could but I would have to take my son (who is one and a half) with me, which would result in the store being completely destroyed and shat on.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

If you believe the designer, having such a low crossover point (600hz IIRC by using a custom designed compression driver instead of traditional tweeter) also helps by keeping the crossover out of critical vocal frequencies.

That's a bizarre claim as, the way I understand it ... 600hz is well inside vocal frequencies!

Re. where XO frequencies should be ... my understanding is for ideal SQ, XOs should be at <300hz and >3000hz.

Andy

I'm no designer, just want I remember hearing in a DAR video with Clayton Shaw, the designer. I said IIRC so may have the crossover point wrong but sure he said it was unusually low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, o2so said:

Oh I did add two REL T5 and a digital room correction system. Massive improvement in punch.
In fact, I'm quite happy of my system right now. But since when upgrading has anything to do with how happy one is of their system?

Dipoles have a strong relationship with the wall behind them, so another consideration could be treating the front wall. You can further improve the transparency, alter the precision of the imaging and the size of the sound stage, all at the same time. Or do you just want to try something new and different?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Spencer said:

Dipoles have a strong relationship with the wall behind them, so another consideration could be treating the front wall. You can further improve the transparency, alter the precision of the imaging and the size of the sound stage, all at the same time. Or do you just want to try something new and different?

Speaking of which do horns get affected by the wall behind them as much as the conventional box speakers?

3 hours ago, o2so said:

You can make a substantial improvement to your 1.7s by buying some braced frames for them.  Mye Stands (from Canada - which Bill used to import) are one option.  Or ask @Petergonefishing to make up a set, like he did for @ghost4man ... or get a metalshop to make some up for you - like mine, for instance (see pic).

You can then further improve the SQ by putting the 1.7s into custom-made hardwood frames - which any joiner should be able to put together for you.

If you do this - plus put diffusors on the front wall, as @Paul Spencersuggested - you will have a significant increase in SQ.  :)  I suggest you won't then want to sell your 1.7s.  :D

Andy

HW Frames6.JPG

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Can't treat walls without casing divorce. But thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind for when I'll own a place with a a dedicated music room, and a Lamborghini.

Can't treat walls without casing divorce. But thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind for when I'll own a place with a a dedicated music room, and a Lamborghini.

10 minutes ago, o2so said:

Given your wife-approval problem ... how far out from the front wall do your have your 1.7s?

If the max you can do is a metre ... then, yes, get rid of the Maggies.

Andy

Bill gets his stands made locally now as far as I know & they are good! I had 20.7's with Sanders mono amps in a dedicated sound room when I heard the Spatials & was really impressed with the SET & the beautiful full midrange of the voicing.