Want to build a tube setup from scratch....

Rightio. I've got three systems in my lounge room and I am thinking of offloading some gear to make ANOTHER system (well there will still be 3) as one will be gone. My intentions are to make a tube based setup (small) that can be listened to at low/mid levels without blasting. The 200w Plinius can do that. So I'm sorting of doing this a little backwards. I've sort of chosen my amp, a Weston Troubadour 6L6 (20w/ch). Oh, if there's a cheaper tube amp that would be better I'm open to suggestions. I just need to match some small speakers with it and a (maybe) tube based cd player. Budget for speakers around $1000, cd player about same or a little less. 

This is going in a room 3mx3m, concrete floors covered by carpet, soft furnishings, curtains, plasterboard walls, standard height ceiling. I want this mainly for jazz so nice detail, smooth mids and no fatigue will be good. I'm not expecting huge bass and I really don't mind if I don't get it. I might be going from my Project RPM 5.1 to something different so that might end up with it. Second hand is fine. Any ideas?

Blake.

p.s. Yes I have been sitting up till 3am thinking about this....

Guest BobbyD

This is a little over your budget but would make you very happy matched with 20 W 6L6. Have heard these and are stunning for your listed criteria.

Also consider Proac Tablette 2000 or similar, very valve friendly and great with jazz and vocals.

Good luck Blake, it will be fun for you...:thumb:

Soooooooooooooo Not loud, not expecting huge bass, nice detail and smooth mids with no fatigue and mainly for Jazz........

You just asked for a pair of ESL57's.

The Troubadour did a pretty good job of driving my ESL's as a single pair, but, not when I stacked them.

Problem will be getting them into a 3m x 3m room with two other systems and getting a pair for under $1k!

Re. valve CD.  I still really like my Opera Consenance Droplet 5 but must say I have not seen any up for sale for a while.

Good luck with your search.

P.S.  You could always look at a DIY open baffle with single full range driver.

Spend less on the CD and more on the speakers.

Proac Tablette is renowned for being nice with valves.  In your room a smaller speaker with sensitivity of about 88dB + will work fine, the above mentioned Heybrook also look ideal.  I liked my previous standmount B&W CDM1's with a 20W valve amp - tamed the bright treble and detail in the midrange was excellent..  No low bass but in your room with your budget you have two choices: no bass or bad bass :)  I know which I prefer.

If your not concerned about brand names then a DIY single-driver speaker would also do a fine job.  Sealed, bass reflex or back loaded horn.  You see them come up for sale every so often, Earle may know of some.

I just listed my Heybrook HB1 over the weekend. Fabulous speaker. However, they are spoken for by Lyndsay (Rantan) unless local sale in the next day or two to save me packing them.

PM me if interested