Help with what-goes-where on a Thor PS10

Hi gang.  I've noticed the Thor PS10 manual is, well, crap.  So I'm wondering if I am doing all the right things with my unit, and I have some questions.

my unit is a Thor PS10 (slightly older version)

https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/product/ps10-smart-power-station/

with a "Smart Board"

https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/THOR0012-SmartBoard-8-FactSheet.pdf

1. I have read that power amps should NOT be run off power conditioners, as this may stifle them, and they have their own big toroids and so on. 

- can I confirm this is true?

- if so, should I have my power amp plugged into the "protection bank 1", which seems to be surge protection without filtering?

2. Is there any particular way I should plug in other components to the various filter banks?

i have:

- preamp

- cd player

- phono stage with its own psu 

- digital player (with connected powered hard drive and Ethernet connection straight from wall outlet).  Should the Ethernet run wall socket>Ethernet in on board>Ethernet out from board>player?

3. I get occasional hum from the Thor itself, loud enough to be noticed if room quiet.  Do I need DC filtering between it and the wall? I've tried some isolation padding under it, but not sure if any better?

3. I still get phono hum at higher volumes.  I use quality cabling, the earth seems fine, I have done my best to separate power and signal cables.  I run an Ortofon MC10 super LOMC (the connections seem ok).

many thanks!

mat

Hi Matt , run the power amp directly from the wall , digital units with the highest level of filtering and analogue units with the lowest.

Can't help with the hum issues.

Listen carefully with the Thor power plant and board in and out of circuit. I found that even with the power amp directly connected to the wall the overall effect of the Thor combo was to reduce sound quality by making the sound flatter / more lifeless , bass did become more extended with the thors in circuit but treble and mid range suffered , to my ears.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:28 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Will do in terms of listening.  

Also, I understand the reasoning re amp straight to wall, but would it make sense to run it from the non filtering plug (surge only) for the protective aspect?

I prefer my power amps directly connected to the wall for sound reasons but if you live in an area with lots of reported power problems you may chose to use surge protection.