onthebeach

HIFIMAN HE 400-S

14 posts in this topic

I've just purchased a new pair of HIFIMAN HE 400-S.

Is it worth upgrading the cable?

I read in a review somewhere that the stock cable is pretty basic. Not sure if an upgrade would be worthwhile.

 

They are now 70 hours into burn-in. I had a listen with my Astell & Kern Jr after around 30 hours and I was very underwhelmed.

They sounded closed, flat and lifeless but hopefully its a burn in thing and they will open up after some decent burn-in time.

Underwhelmed in comparison to my Etymotic ER4Ps, Bose QC 25s and a deceased pair of Senn HD239s.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have a better experience of the headphones with a proper headphone amplifier and use astell & kern jr as a transport.

planar headphones as efficient as the may be, benefit from an amplifier.

Visit a hifi shop and ask them to set up a demo

Neo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes without a doubt they would sound better with an amp but I really don't want the expense or hassle of a headphone amp which was a big factor in my purchase.

With their high sensitivity and low impedance they are sold to run on portable devices.

Easy to Drive

One of the highest efficiency planar phones in the world! HIFIMAN’s newest HE400S sounds terrific on your smartphone or most any portable audio device.

 

They have over 150 hours on them atm and they are opening up nicely. I'll get them up to 300-500 hours and hopefully they will open up some more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I read the blurb before if you want better performance get an amp or try one at least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, onthebeach said:

I've just purchased a new pair of HIFIMAN HE 400-S.

Is it worth upgrading the cable?

I read in a review somewhere that the stock cable is pretty basic. Not sure if an upgrade would be worthwhile.

 

They are now 70 hours into burn-in. I had a listen with my Astell & Kern Jr after around 30 hours and I was very underwhelmed.

They sounded closed, flat and lifeless but hopefully its a burn in thing and they will open up after some decent burn-in time.

Underwhelmed in comparison to my Etymotic ER4Ps, Bose QC 25s and a deceased pair of Senn HD239s.

 

Hi Nathan

Good to see a member from Northern NSW posting. (I am in Grafton).

I think one of your issues is that the Etymotics are so good. I have a pair myself.

Cables IMO is to "tune" your system, it wont change closed, flat and lifeless.

If you want to know how they could/should sound do try to listen via a headphone amp or something similar. Also check out the headfi forum.

Enjoy!

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the 500's in this brand and they were just fantastic with both phone amps I had running them and yes the extra expense of a quality cable settled them($70 I think) but I would never use them with a phone but that's me.

 

Now running BT cans and they are pretty meh compared to cabled cans that's for sure.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jventer said:

Hi Nathan

Good to see a member from Northern NSW posting. (I am in Grafton).

I think one of your issues is that the Etymotics are so good. I have a pair myself.

Cables IMO is to "tune" your system, it wont change closed, flat and lifeless.

If you want to know how they could/should sound do try to listen via a headphone amp or something similar. Also check out the headfi forum.

Enjoy!

 

Hi. Yes the Etymotics are very good. I've owned mine for many years. I only use them now for a gym workout. I've just ordered some Comply foam tips for them which will be a new experience for me as I've only used the standard foam tips in the past. I have the plastic flanged tips but don't like them.

I had a look around the headfi forum a while back when researching what DAP to get. I decided on the A&K Jr. I might head back over there at some stage down the track to get a cable recommendation for my HFM400s.

cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't sound right to me, I've heard all of those and the 400s leave the others in the dust no comparison.. I'd take them over HD600's.. the Etys just as good in mid but different 

 

 I prefer the 400i though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, murrmax said:

Doesn't sound right to me, I've heard all of those and the 400s leave the others in the dust no comparison.. I'd take them over HD600's.. the Etys just as good in mid but different 

 

 I prefer the 400i though

Interesting. What was the source? Was it a audio player? With an amp or running solo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it was defiantly a burn in issue. Had a listen last night now they have 200+ hours on them and they sounded like a different set of cans to the ones I listened to last week.

MUCH more open with nice sweet mids and tops. Still a bit thick for my liking in the lower mids but with some more burn in and maybe a new cable down the track I think they will be really nice.

I'll get around 500 hours on them and see how they sound then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@onthebeach

Nathan

I was in Coffs today and visited Coffs Coast HiFi. I was surprised at their collection of headphones. They even had a Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp. Beautiful shop. You can always go there for a chat and to check out other phones.

Great to hear your phones are sounding better

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jventer said:

@onthebeach

Nathan

I was in Coffs today and visited Coffs Coast HiFi. I was surprised at their collection of headphones. They even had a Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp. Beautiful shop. You can always go there for a chat and to check out other phones.

Great to hear your phones are sounding better

  Ah Yes...You mean Coffs Coast Audio. Yes I know it well. Gav and Jarrod were at Park beach music and HIFI for many years let me tell you I've maxed out many a credit card in that shop over the past 20 years. When that shop owned by Kev Budge closed its doors after 25 years of wonderful service they went out on their own. They specialise in installations. Really nice guys. They only opened their doors last year.

 

As far as the Senny Head amp goes I wouldn't really want to try it out if I wasn't half keen on buying it and I wouldn't buy Sennheiser again. Also if I bought an amp at all it would be used from these classifieds probably. But for the purpose of what I want my headphones for I don't really want the hassle of a headphone amp anyway. I guess if I try one at some stage I might be swayed but we'll see....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My HFM 400s have 500 hours up on them now.

Yes they sound good. No they don't sound sensational. 

Yes they definitely do sound like they would be better with an amp no doubt. But...they do sound pretty good with just the A&KJr running them.

So an amp with them would be better but again I really don't want the expense or hassle of an amp so for now I wont get one as they sound alright without one.

Maybe one day if a decent one comes up around here and I have the cash but until then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.