Quad ii mains transformer

GeneA

Help!!!! One of my cherished early Quad mono blocks has a fried input/mains transformer, if anyone can point me in the direction of a working replacement or even a complete unit suitable for spares it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help!!!! One of my cherished early Quad mono blocks has a fried input/mains transformer, if anyone can point me in the direction of a working replacement or even a complete unit suitable for spares it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Bugger. Not good new mate. I can't help unfortunately. But there are a couple of SNA members on the mainland who wind transformers if you can't find one localy. Lucas at Blackart Audio http://www.black-art.com.au/audio/index.php
and Earl Weston of Weston Acoustics
http://www.westonacoustics.com/
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, GeneA said:

Cheers.

@Aussieamps

could assist I would imagine and he may be your next door neighbor :P

[mention=104287]Aussieamps[/mention]
could assist I would imagine and he may be your next door neighbor [emoji14]

Didnt realise Anthony did that sort of thing Matt. Is there anything that man can't do?????!!!!
  • Like 1

Sure GeneA

If you get into trouble with a replacement, you may be able to have the transformer core carefully re wound at Alpha Electrics or maybe Littles Electrical, in Launceston.

Good Luck.

Give me a yell if you really really get stuck as I was a motor rewinder in a past life (did a few years on a bench at Littles Electrical)

Matt

8 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Bugger. Not good new mate. I can't help unfortunately. But there are a couple of SNA members on the mainland who wind transformers if you can't find one localy. Lucas at Blackart Audio http://www.black-art.com.au/audio/index.php
and Earl Weston of Weston Acoustics
http://www.westonacoustics.com/

Thanks for the referrals, will make contact with them and source a quote, given the cost of replacing with new out of the UK , I have a fair bit of room to move. 

On 6/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, Upfront said:

Didnt realise Anthony did that sort of thing Matt. Is there anything that man can't do?????!!!!

Gday Linc

I was pointing at Anthony as he seems to know almost every Transformer supplier in the World and may know where one could come from

(Where's Dave ?) 

Cheers

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Sure GeneA

If you get into trouble with a replacement, you may be able to have the transformer core carefully re wound at Alpha Electrics or maybe Littles Electrical, in Launceston.

Good Luck.

Give me a yell if you really really get stuck as I was a motor rewinder in a past life (did a few years on a bench at Littles Electrical)

Matt

Thanks Matt, will call in and have a chat to them during the week. 

Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated!!

17 hours ago, GeneA said:

Thanks Matt, will call in and have a chat to them during the week. 

Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated!!

Winding a power transformer, especially a fairly simple E Type one is not a huge job, although it would probably take about a day to disassemble and re wind (at an hourly rate). This may be a viable option and worth looking at for sure

Hi Guys

The Quad II power transformer is very conventional.

It is just a EI core about 200VA with 240vac primary and 600VAC centre tapped secondary, which is split into two 300vac windings for the GZ32 tube dual rectifier, the only other winding is 6.3vac 3 amp winding for the Tube heater circuit.

There is a 5vac sec winding as well but this would be no longer needed as its only there for the Tube rectifier heater and I plan to replace this with silicon diodes, but leave the tube in place to keep the original

looks of the Quad II amplifier.

Gene get in contact with Southern Electrical Services-VIC , there is a link to them on my web site.

Otherwise yes Littles Electrical should be able to rewind it for you, I thought Little's went out of business.

Nope here they are,

Little's Electrical Service

(03) 6331 4324

108 Gleadow St

Invermay, TAS, 7248

• Like 2