SS Int amps up to $8,000

I also have a Nord ONe up NC500 amp that is (500W into 8 Ohms, 700W into 4 ohms) that you could try too as a comparison.

Bought that one to run some Panel speakers which I no longer have. Another very good amp.

Unfortunately that one I think is no longer available locally. Pure Music group sold them for a short time.

Edited by rocky500

From my experience you can rule out the Dev 120 on the C1's.

You would need the 200 minimum.

I run my C1 with a Plinius SA 250 MK4 which is the best iv'e heard so far.

• Like 2

Guest scumbag
12 minutes ago, Tony B said:

From my experience you can rule out the Dev 120 on the C1's.

You would need the 200 minimum.

I run my C1 with a Plinius SA 250 MK4 which is the best iv'e heard so far.

Well that might be a matter of how loud he likes to wind the wick up. My speakers are 86.5db/w and the Dyn's are 85dB so a shade less efficient. I never got anywhere near running out of steam with the 120. Or maybe I'm just chicken. It's always good to have more headroom I suppose and the 200 does offer other benefits over the 120 apart from that (I am told).

2 hours ago, todagt said:

Isn't the accuphase e460 still for sale?

It is indeed and I'd love to hear it on a pair of Dyns.  Unfortunately I haven't yet and since it is a MOSFET design and they are not necessarily renowned for their current drive I would not recommend one on a pair of current hungry speakers like the Dyns without hearing the combo first.

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

Well that might be a matter of how loud he likes to wind the wick up. My speakers are 86.5db/w and the Dyn's are 85dB so a shade less efficient. I never got anywhere near running out of steam with the 120. Or maybe I'm just chicken. It's always good to have more headroom I suppose and the 200 does offer other benefits over the 120 apart from that (I am told).

Nothing to do with volume.

The Dev 120 on my Vivid audio 1.5 was just WOW! 

C1's seemed to lack everything and with a muddy low mid mash. Kinda opposite to what they are good at TBH.

• Like 1

Very interesting discussion re the difficulty in driving the Dyns. I have a Rega Brio R sitting at home that can drive my dyns to reasonable volume in my 5m by 8m room with the volume dial never needing to go beyond 10'o'clock; with reasonable amount of bass and tight dynamics. The C1 Platinum are fairly easy to drive and rather stable probably never dipping below 4 ohm most of the time. This was not the case with an old Dynaudio Audience 70 that I used to run with a Primare A30 int amp. The amp started to sound compressed at 11.00 o clock on the dial and it was not even bringing out any substantial bass. These were both used by me about 15 years ago. The amp was supposed to double to 200 watt at 4 ohm but I think the Audience, which was rated at 6ohm, was extremely difficult to drive.

I read that the Simaudio tonality is suitable with the Dyns and that the M32 is only slightly less dimensional when compared to the Deviate 120. These are all from reviews by the way to from personal experience. 

I have heard the Devialet 110 driving a set of bookshelf PMC with SAM and to be quite honest the midrange was fantastic but the bass was bloated and not at all tuneful. Perhaps the bass was set to 100 on the SAM but it was not a particularly good combination so I end up not buying the Devialet.

The Cayin A88T was also just 'powerful' enough to drive the Dyns but I think if I had gone any louder, the sound may hardened up. Not game to try.

Guest scumbag

I've never used SAM but I have heard comments along the lines of "switch it on and then set it to low" meaning use the DSP to shape the sound for the speaker but keep any boost to low levels.

Edited by scumbag

I'll have to champion the Luxman cause. Use a L-550AX at home which replaced a couple of monoblocks running 110w a side and the Luxman (Class A) has more grunt. And that's before we discuss the sonic improvements the Luxman brings to the mix.

4 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I'll have to champion the Luxman cause. Use a L-550AX at home which replaced a couple of monoblocks running 110w a side and the Luxman (Class A) has more grunt. And that's before we discuss the sonic improvements the Luxman brings to the mix.

+1000

I run my 83 db sensitivity B&W PM1 s with my 550 A II in a medium size room. It has never baulked on these for any music ,at any listening level. It also has never baulked at any speaker I have tried on it and has power to spare,with control, grip and finesse

Don't take my word for it, Try one yourself

Edited by rantan

• Volunteer
49 minutes ago, Happy said:

Folks tend to exaggerate the importance of amp power imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Au contraire :)

I reckon most people greatly underestimate how much power they really need. I'm not talking about playing loud either, I mean things like transient peaks even at moderate volumes 

• Like 1

I would take your speakers in to Pat at War Audio and have a listen to the Bakoon amps. Beautiful sounding amps.

Dont be fooled by the low power the amps have. Drove my Gale 401's with ease at sensible volumes.

Guest rogerthat
8 hours ago, analog brother said:

rega osiris in the commercial classifieds section should do the trick.

within the nominated budget too.

+1

Guest rogerthat
8 hours ago, analog brother said:

rega osiris in the commercial classifieds section should do the trick.

within the nominated budget too.

The Rega Osiris manual says "lifetime warranty". What does that mean?

The Rega is priced well indeed, however reviews have been okay with a number of reservations from reviewer. The one potential problem I can see is perhaps the use of after market power plug, which I cannot use on the Brio-R because of the close proximity of the speaker connections to the power receptor. Yes fortunately or unfortunately, I am a believer of power plugs.

Guest rogerthat

This is not strictly an answer to the OPs question but was thinking if I had C1s and 8 grand what would I get from the classifieds? Probably this combo:

AND

No one is talking Wadia yet, but I find their class D very convincing. Very. When the 151PowerDAC Mini came out its fair to say a new price/performance benchmark was set. The Intuition driving the Sonus faber Olympica II was gorgeous. Indeed, it was a far better match than the Audio Research gear the Sf is often demoed with.
Clearly bags of power and an ability to deliver it at will.
HOWEVER (!) I suspect the complete engineering solution from digital input to speaker binding posts is able to be tailored beautifully.
Class D continues to get better and better and is now just a different flavour of good, rather than a poor second cousin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk