Sansui AS-100's attenuator

My Sansui AS100's are a 2 way sealed infinite baffle speaker design.  They have a tweeter attenuator dial on the back of each speaker. One of the dials is a little dodgy. I always have them with the tweeter at the maximum position otherwise they tend to sound muddied. Or perhaps my hearing is muddied, but that is how the speakers to my ears sound best.

My question is can I remove the attenuator from the crossover? And if I can will that leave the tweeter setting in the maximum, minimum or somewhere in between position?

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you can remove it, that means you'll leave it at maximum or minimum position.. (depends on how it's designed) basically you'll remove it from the crossover passing full frequency and DB thru.. 

you cannot leave it half way or set a certain way unless you know what you're doing and build a custom L pad to get desired effect... 

you're much better off just dismantle and clean it (or try to clean it without dismantling, depends....) than try to remove it.. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, johnmath said:

This stuff is fantastic: Two step DeOxit 'D" cleaner followed by 'G" contact treatment

https://www.jaycar.com.au/deoxit-gold-contact-cleaner-rejuvenator-aerosol/p/NS1434

My Sugden has an iffy volume pot causing channel imbalance. Perhaps I should try the good old Deoxit before replacing the pot...

On 21/6/2017 at 9:28 AM, Happy said:

My Sugden has an iffy volume pot causing channel imbalance. Perhaps I should try the good old Deoxit before replacing the pot...

Sugdens do tend to suffer from dry joints. It's possible that one or more solder joints to the pot needs to be reflowed. However if it is a dirty pot DeOxit should do the trick more or less permanently! DeOxit do have a special F series potentiometer cleaner which is what I use rather than the D or G series, although either of those should be fine too.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2631/.f

The distributor for Caig (DeOxit) in Australia is Caprina: http://www.caprina.com.au

Sometimes old amplifiers have mis-tracking volume contours which can unbalance the channels especially at low volume settings. The only fix for that problem is a new pot.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, johnmath said:

Sugdens do tend to suffer from dry joints. It's possible that one or more solder joints to the pot needs to be reflowed. However if it is a dirty pot DeOxit should do the trick more or less permanently! DeOxit do have a special F series potentiometer cleaner which is what I use rather than the D or G series.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2631/.f

The distributor for Caig (DeOxit) in Australia is Caprina: http://www.caprina.com.au

Sometimes old amplifiers have mis-tracking volume contours which can unbalance the channels especially at low volume settings. The only fix for that problem is a new pot.

hmm if dry joints then im outta my wit! :(

Just now, Happy said:

hmm if dry joints then im outta my wit! :(

The way to tell is what causes the noise. If its scratchy when you are turning the control, it will be the track inside that needs cleaning. If it is scratchy when you jerk the volume knob from side to side without turning it, or when you tap firmly on the lid of the amplifier, it will be dry joints.

The way to tell is what causes the noise. If its scratchy when you are turning the control, it will be the track inside that needs cleaning. If it is scratchy when you jerk the volume knob from side to side without turning it, or when you tap firmly on the lid of the amplifier, it will be dry joints.

Thanks but how do you jerk it side to side without turning it? 

I did try tapping on the lid but that didn't seem to matter.

The biggest issue is that one of the channels drops out or sounds scratchy occasionally. Then I turn the volume up and down and somehow that will fix the issue temporarily or for a long time. 

With the volume control in a normal listening position and while playing music, put your thumb and forefinger horizontally on either side of the volume knob and use enough force to almost move the amplifier sideways left, then right. Then put your thumb on the top and forefinger on the bottom of the volume knob and use enough force to nearly lift the amplifier, then push down on the knob firmly.

Be careful not to use too much force. If the knob moves easily don't be too brutal as it probably has a plastic shaft and you might break it. If the knob is very firm it probably has a metal shaft and be much more resistant to abuse. Most older amplifiers will have strong metal shaft controls.

If any of these pushes cause the sound to crackle or drop, you have either dry joints or somewhat less commonly a broken or cracked potentiometer. Either will need a technician to repair.

With the volume control in a normal listening position and while playing music, put your thumb and forefinger horizontally on either side of the volume knob and use enough force to almost move the amplifier sideways left, then right. Then put your thumb on the top and forefinger on the bottom of the volume knob and use enough force to nearly lift the amplifier, then push down on the knob firmly.

Be careful not to use too much force. If the knob moves easily don't be too brutal as it probably has a plastic shaft and you might break it. If the knob is very firm it probably has a metal shaft and be much more resistant to abuse. Most older amplifiers will have strong metal shaft controls.

If any of these pushes cause the sound to crackle or drop, you have either dry joints or somewhat less commonly a broken or cracked potentiometer. Either will need a technician to repair.

Thanks jut tried it no crackle or drop that way.

So I guess I should try that Deoxit for pots.