Best MC Cart under $1000 ?

Usually once every few months here, though actually 3x today. The VTA wasn't even remotely correct on the DL103. It was fine for the Supex and Hana carts though. Likely just a great synergy with this system. Before the change in tables it certainly never sounded this good. [emoji6]

I run 10" Fidelity Research arms (FR-14, FR-24, FR-54, FR-64S) on both of my tables so only VTF and VTA need adjustment

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Usually once every few months here, though actually 3x today. The VTA wasn't even remotely correct on the DL103. It was fine for the Supex and Hana carts though. Likely just a great synergy with this system. Before the change in tables it certainly never sounded this good. emoji6.png

I run 10" Fidelity Research arms (FR-14, FR-24, FR-54, FR-64S) on both of my tables so only VTF and VTA need adjustment

Could you list down what tools you use .

9 minutes ago, Hensa said:

No idea who Michael is but, in any event, with interchangeable headshells you only align each cartridge once and just reset VTF when switching. On my fixed headshell tonearm, I change the cartridge maybe once every couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fremer

Fremer

I've never read his instructions... it really isn't a difficult process once you've done it a few times.

Hello all -thanks for all the comments and suggestions which I have compiled into a list that I will revisit over coming years as upgrades become necessary.

Just to cover off, I landed on a package deal consisting of a VPI Classic woth a Benz Micro MC (SL) and loving it! the paring and the match-up with the rest of my modest system does not represent a law of diminishing returns at all. I'm blown away in that its many many more times, greater imporvment all round and I find myself wanting to spin more and more records until its so late, the neighbours get stroppy!

Thanks again for your generous contributions to my initial thread! cheers T

• Like 5

Sounds like a terrific combo, congrats! Now you're going to get into upgrading the rest of your system to match it! [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

• Like 3

Matty, check out "river of sorrow" classic traditional Chinese music must have.755669ee83e0fa23df046450e0f40229.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll try track that down. I'm sure my wife will love it :)

2 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Ordered.... The most expensive LP I've ever bought. Worth it for the little lady though :)

Good man...A great way to get the missus to show interest if she is not already interested.

• Like 1

Scratch that.... A bit pricey for me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382110959443

Didn't know it is so expensive now, bought mine few years ago in HK, was around $70, I bought another one with different player this year when I was in HK and it was an German 180g issue for $60.
I am sure it is worth it! You can now buy another TT [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Guest Point source

An AT 440MLB sounds pretty damn fine playing Vince Jones 'SPELL'.

My realistic endgame would be a Shelter 501 BUT thats $3-500 over!

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/08/2017 at 5:59 PM, THOMO said:

I have been very happy with my Nagaoka MP500 .There is just a "rightness " to it that stops you thinking about the system and lets you enjoy the music.None of the MCs I have used have done that-good in some ways but not a complete picture.The MP500 is way better than a Denon 103 in my opinion and also better than a Soundsmith retipped Supex 900 Super I was using .

Thomo - I'm currently running in one of these myself, coming from a 2M Black I'm enjoying it so far. What phono stage are you using?

4 hours ago, caminperth said:

Thomo - I'm currently running in one of these myself, coming from a 2M Black I'm enjoying it so far. What phono stage are you using?

I had the EAR 834P which was a pretty good match but now use the Realistic 42 2101A which probably the more accurate of the two.I think the MP500 is very natural sounding and has very good timing and musical engagement but this might be masked by phono preamps that impose too much of their own sound-which I suspect is not an uncommon thing.The Realistic would seem to get out of the way and to me the combination sounds very natural.

• Like 2