Jump to content

Recommended Posts

tellmidd   

Hi -I am sure this topic has been broached numerous times but interested in SNA brain trust opinion on best value for money MC cart within the $600 -$1000 price bracket.

 

Links would be helpful too :)

 

Many thanks! Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eltech   

Terry, I think you should say if you are looking for an ultra detailed sound or a romantic / warm friendly sound. What turntable and tonearm will it be mounted to?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dynavector 10/5 high output or push one higher to next model call Simply hifi in Perth and Wyn can arrange.  Otherwise an ortofon maybe if it goes with arm and deck and sound you like . Very personal but both brands are great. Very large can of worms to choose from but looks, sound and system all important and you should check no weird mounting requirements etc, good luck.

Edited by Eagleeyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hensa   

There are a few contenders in the sub-$1K bracket but I agree with @eltech that it would help to have an idea what sort of sonic signature you're interested in.

Some that go to the top of the list for me include the Benz Ace, ZYX R50, and Hana SL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eltech   
There are a few contenders in the sub-$1K bracket but I agree with [mention=110996]eltech[/mention] that it would help to have an idea what sort of sonic signature you're interested in.

Some that go to the top of the list for me include the Benz Ace, ZYX R50, and Hana SL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Without knowing the desired sonic signature, and tonearm we may as well just print out a price list of all MC cartridges at $1000 and below.... Second hand with a retip will be an option at that price too! Awaiting the OP's reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wimbo   

I know this is a guessing competition but what about this, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pulinap   

Denon DL-S1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jebediah   

Are warm and detailed mutually exclusive? Or can one have both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rantan   
Just now, Jebediah said:

Are warm and detailed mutually exclusive? Or can one have both?

 

I don't see why they would be, so IMO, the answer is

1.No

2. Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jebediah   
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

 

I don't see why they would be, so IMO, the answer is

1.No

2. Yes

In that case I'd also be interested to know which MC carts fit those criteria...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Audio Technica AT-33SA with about 700hrs on it for sale.
Great MC to try. RRP in excess of $1000


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hana carts seem to offer fantastic performance for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eltech   
Are warm and detailed mutually exclusive? Or can one have both?

Warm can be detailed, but a warm cartridge will impart a warm character to all recordings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
andyr   
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tellmidd said:

Hi -I am sure this topic has been broached numerous times but interested in SNA brain trust opinion on best value for money MC cart within the $600 -$1000 price bracket.

 

Links would be helpful too :)

 

Many thanks! Terry

 

With only $1K to spend ... why do you want an MC?  Why not an MM / MI?  Does your phono stage cope with 0.3-0.5mV carts ... or will you have to buy a SUT/headamp for it to cope with a LOMC?  (Which, of course, is more money!)

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tellmidd   

Thanks for the tips everyone -I am running a Ortofon Bronze MM atm but recently acquired a Lehmann Audio (Decade) phono Stage which can handle MM and MC which has lots of options for custom impedance and capacitance -the 66 dB maximum gain and has the ability to individually adjust the input capacitance values.

 

I'm about to upgrade the TT to either a VPI or a Michell Gyro SE and therefore looking to run an MC cart with the new set up.

 

In terms of the SQ questions, I guess I'm interested in a decent soundstage, image separation, clean yet not brittle, warm yet not muddy. My current system largely meets these objectives but always trying to suck out more in the quest for nirvana ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfan   

Buy a Garrott Optim FGS ($999) and be done with it. It's not MC though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevoz   
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Buy a Garrott Optim FGS ($999) and be done with it. It's not MC though.

......but it is the best of everything (MM, MC, Decca) in one cart.:)

Edited by stevoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfan   
3 minutes ago, stevoz said:

......but it is the best of everything (MM, MC, Decca) in one cart.:)

 

:thumb:

 

Rather than look for the best MC or MM cart for a certain budget, I would suggest that looking for the best cart for the budget is a better option. :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to second that. The quality of some MM carts between $600-$1,000 is terrific. Your 2M Bronze, for example, is quite excellent. I use that and the Black at home.
I think many will agree with me that a move to MC could end up being a sideways step: not better or worse, just different. If that's what you're after, then brilliant!

Your Bronze can be upgraded to Black just by purchasing the stylus alone, for around $600.

MC carts aren't so simple and will eventually need a trip away for the re-tip.

Personally, is love to own a really high class MC, but in order to get what I feel is real improvement, I'd be spending at least double the cost of the 2M Black, so $2,000+

It's probably pretty obvious that I don't subscribe to the "MC is inherently better" idea, but I do think really classy MC's comfortably outperform excellent MM's. But, for up to the $1k mark I like MM.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rockpig   
3 hours ago, soundfan said:

Buy a Garrott Optim FGS ($999) and be done with it. It's not MC though.

 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eltech   
Buy a Garrott Optim FGS ($999) and be done with it. It's not MC though.

Do they need to be retipped or can you plug in a replacement stylus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wimbo   
4 hours ago, tellmidd said:

Thanks for the tips everyone -I am running a Ortofon Bronze MM atm but recently acquired a Lehmann Audio (Decade) phono Stage which can handle MM and MC which has lots of options for custom impedance and capacitance -the 66 dB maximum gain and has the ability to individually adjust the input capacitance values.

 

I'm about to upgrade the TT to either a VPI or a Michell Gyro SE and therefore looking to run an MC cart with the new set up.

 

In terms of the SQ questions, I guess I'm interested in a decent soundstage, image separation, clean yet not brittle, warm yet not muddy. My current system largely meets these objectives but always trying to suck out more in the quest for nirvana ;)

 

What turntable do you have at the moment mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soundfan   
21 minutes ago, eltech said:


Do they need to be retipped or can you plug in a replacement stylus?

 

You send back (as I have done in the past) and they re-tip. You need to send back the stylus assembly. 

 

And the Optim FGS cartridge can be upgraded to Optim FGS Ruby specs, via a cantilever and stylus upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×