Schiit Yggdrasil - Anyone got one?

Lured by the hype I was considering getting the Yggy some time ago, but upon auditioning I didn't like it as much as I hoped.

It was very detailed and dynamic but to me didn't sound natural. 

I ended up getting the Metrum Menuet which has similar features and sounds much more the way I like - check it out if youc an.

2 hours ago, cazzesman said:

any names worth mentioning?

Regards Cazzesman

I think you can't go to wrong with something like the Yggdrasil as there seems to be so many happy customers out there on the forums.

The only thing is some others may also have DSD playback if you want to try that out.

I was looking to buy a Yggy but in the end went with a Holo Dac as I liked it had the DSD playback to try. Also the i2S connection was something that interested me.

• Like 2

I went to A2A to buy the Gumby but it was out of stock. I bought the Yggdrasil instead. After 20 days, this dac sounds simply incredible with my CDs and Tidal HiFi. I start going through all my CDs again. :-)

• Like 2

On 2017-6-8 at 7:24 PM, cazzesman said:

any names worth mentioning?

Regards Cazzesman

When I was looking, I also considered the Denafrips Ares and Pontus, as well as Holo Spring Level 3, including Gumby and Yggy.

None of which I've heard but all with great owner's reviews. I'm sure they all will sound great.

In the end, it didn't matter as I'm very happy with Yggy now.

This is a photo of the setup I listen to (with HD800) at Addicted To Audio - Sydney before the purchase.

20170520_121852.jpg

• Like 2

I would suggest personal audition is a must.  I could not arrange a home audition so I brought my vintage R2r DAC to A2A to compare.  I left without purchasing the yggy.  I then thought I hadn't given the schiit Dac a fair chance and purchased a second hand gungnir mulitbit and left it continuously powered for 2 weeks before critical listening.  In my system, together with a group of friends we all disliked the schiit and preferred the Calyx Femto and my aging Sonic Frontiers SFD2 mk 2.

• Like 1

I went to A2A last year to listen to it the Yggdrasil with the intention of buying it. I didn't like it and ended up buying a Metrum Pavane instead. I now use an Exposure 2010s2 DAC which is cheaper than either (as well as a whole bunch of other very expensive DACs I have owned over the past few years) and prefer it to all of them.

7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

When I was looking, I also considered the Denafrips Ares and Pontus, as well as Holo Spring Level 3, including Gumby and Yggy.

None of which I've heard but all with great owner's reviews. I'm sure they all will sound great.

In the end, it didn't matter as I'm very happy with Yggy now.

This is a photo of the setup I listen to (with HD800) at Addicted To Audio - Sydney before the purchase.

20170520_121852.jpg

Nice setup but you can get a much better performance from the hd800 with a tube amp.

26 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Nice setup but you can get a much better performance from the hd800 with a tube amp.

Correct. I bought the Yggy and HD800 and am running it with Euforia tube amp by Feliks Audio.

I didn't buy the Ragnorak although that would have been interesting too with a planar magnetic. :-)

• Like 1

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-dac/

Several other reviewers have also favorably compared the Yggy to $15-20000 US DACs.

Lots of users say the same.

My impression is that there is a majority who think it sounds fantastic, but a minority who really don't like it. Apparently you really like it or really don't.

I'd say it's a DAC you don't buy without an audition to find out which group you are in.

• Like 2

Yggy is not a DAC where a quick audition at the shop will reveal everything. It is still improving after 20 days of constant usage. Initially it sounded bright but now it's natural and musical with lots of details and lovely tight and controlled bass.

DAC sound is personal. There's no one DAC to suit everyone. if warm and relax is your preference then Yggy's not the one.

Edited by Odyssey

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yggy is not a DAC where a quick audition at the shop will reveal everything. It is still improving after 20 days of constant usage. Initially it sounded bright but now it's natural and musical with lots of details and lovely tight and controlled bass.

DAC sound is personal. There's no one DAC to suit everyone. if warm and relax is your preference then Yggy's not the one.

A DAC needs to sound natural just like vinyl, should be able to listen for hours without listening fatigue.

Oh Yggy is natural sounding and fatigue free. That's the beauty of it. Clear and yet natural sounding. Like vinyl is a good analogy.

Most of my listening sessions are many hours. 

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, limniscate said:

Get the Ayre Codex instead.  It pretty much sounds the same but it is cheaper.

Yes, the Yggy sounds terrible for 3-5 days even after it's been burned in.  It takes a long time to warm-up.

One can try before buy, but with Yggy that is not an option.

Edited by Qwertyqaz

Jezuz,

I just stumbled on this thread...

the Yiggi has had full of praise in other forums.  

To be honest, from a technical point of view if a device hasn't improved after 1hr, it will never improved.  Some here will disagree, but that's just from my experience and technical point of view,  if someone says it requires 400hrs to achieve its best, I'd personally dismissed this recommendation, that's just wishful thinking.

• Like 1