caminperth

Mac Pro 2013 Onwards

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Has anyone implemented a 2013 onwards model mac pro (cylinder shaped one) as a iTunes source & plex server? iTunes would be direct to a DAC through either USB or optical. Plex would be through ethernet to an AppleTV3.

I'm currently using a core2duo mac mini sever which struggles with plex and thought this would be a good upgrade. Using a thunderbolt drive to store media and huge processing power, speed shouldn't be a problem.

Or given these usually have dual video cards ect is it complete overkill? (I'm not sure what plex uses to serve/process the video)

Either way, they'd look dynamite as a server.. :thumb:

Cheers

Cam

Yes it would be dynamite as a server just a bit over the top though considering how much they go for, they are full on machines.

Have you considered that the problem could be the software I gave up on Plex a while ago found it to be better than iTunes as a media centre but also a bit clunky and not all that user friendly the core2 duo should be able to run Plex without too much trouble they were and are pretty good processors does the Mac Mini have an SSD? Upgraded both of mine best thing ever that would certainly help the speed.

I actually had a similar setup Mac Mini/ATV3/4 via ethernet and in the end I ditched the ATV and used the Mac Mini with VLC as the player direct to the TV and Audirvana for the music as much as I love Apple iTunes really isn't a good media player (actually bought a second Mac Mini to set up the second system just to avoid having to use the ATV.

I found the simplest setup worked well for me but not for everyone.

Good luck Cam

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, BATMAQN said:

Yes it would be dynamite as a server just a bit over the top though considering how much they go for, they are full on machines.

Have you considered that the problem could be the software I gave up on Plex a while ago found it to be better than iTunes as a media centre but also a bit clunky and not all that user friendly the core2 duo should be able to run Plex without too much trouble they were and are pretty good processors does the Mac Mini have an SSD? Upgraded both of mine best thing ever that would certainly help the speed.

I actually had a similar setup Mac Mini/ATV3/4 via ethernet and in the end I ditched the ATV and used the Mac Mini with VLC as the player direct to the TV and Audirvana for the music as much as I love Apple iTunes really isn't a good media player (actually bought a second Mac Mini to set up the second system just to avoid having to use the ATV.

I found the simplest setup worked well for me but not for everyone.

Good luck Cam

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The thought is that it would be a pretty looking machine that wouldn't need upgrading in a hurry. You're right though - quite pricey.

Software - I use iTunes for music through the remote app on ipads/iphones and that works fine. It's a method to serve videos in a user friendly way that I'm chasing. I'm currently using a NAS to store the video files and accessing them through the Hisense TV app over DLNA. It's a very clunky method and the NAS is getting long in the tooth. Thats why i've been looking at Plex as its looks to be a good way to browse the files without working through a large folder structure ect. I was either going to use plex through the ATV or the Hisense app, depending on video resolution as the ATV won't process 4k.

Hardware - the mac mini has an SSD and this did improve things dramatically, however it is getting a little old and with the newer versions of OSX seems to be running slower each time. In a trial run of a plex server it seemed to cope ok, but suffered on higher res formats - definitely couldn't do 4k, which is the reason to look to upgrade.

I've got a Mid 2011 iMac with all my movies/tv shows on an external HDD connected via the standard USB 2 I'm guessing. I've never had any issues with streaming, even with multiple people using it at once. Plex works flawlessly for me. I've got Optus cable broadband and it came with a Netgear router that's very different from the standard one that comes with the ADSL2 connections. I have a feeling it could be due to bandwidth issues. Do you have NBN/Cable or ADSL2?

On 09/06/2017 at 7:49 PM, Cardiiiii said:

I've got a Mid 2011 iMac with all my movies/tv shows on an external HDD connected via the standard USB 2 I'm guessing. I've never had any issues with streaming, even with multiple people using it at once. Plex works flawlessly for me. I've got Optus cable broadband and it came with a Netgear router that's very different from the standard one that comes with the ADSL2 connections. I have a feeling it could be due to bandwidth issues. Do you have NBN/Cable or ADSL2?

Could be - though I'm using apple extreme (tower version) hub with cat cable between devices and the router only for internet. Old telstra cable unit.