Yet another death sentence on physical media

Just now, :) al said:

we possibly have quite different listening habits or exceptions of these things i suspect. for me it can be just background music, not necessarily critical listening. which more tend to do when bought it on a physical format instead. these services via "radio" really just a vehicle to introduce me to new stuff, stuff wouldn't come across otherwise.

We seem to yeah. Even for bg music I usually prefer my own selection. And I do happen to like classical music mainly. So the 'New Releases' on Apple Music is satisfactory for me. 

2 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

How is mainstream radio less random than SBS chill or any of the other stations you bathe to? 

Is it that you are self-selecting stations that you like? 

The challenge, if we want to really discover new music, is to go beyond this self-selection. Be daring, live a little and listen to mainstream radio. You may discover something new that you like :) 

Mainstream radio plays the same set list over and over and over again. Now and then I'll be on a building site and will hear say Triple M for the first time in 12 months and a particular track comes on. I haven't heard that for a while I might think. The next day it's played again, maybe 2 or 3 times. And the next, and then next, and the next endlessly. Sure, after 6 months they might change the playlists but I find stations like FBI, 2SER and the digital stations like SBS Chill, ABC Jazz etc have a much more varied playlist rather than repeating the same bunch of songs

• Like 2

Physical media or files on a physical storage device are all that works when you're driving out the back of Whoop Whoop, near Ship Creek, with no phone reception let alone the interwebs. That's one reason why I keep physical media and encode it, and keep my own library. Streaming would be fine in a fixed environment, but I already have a library of over 3,000 albums, so why pay extra for it?

16 hours ago, Happy said:

https://www.ft.com/content/94c5cdb0-4a26-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

1db195224a0b562062bd096ba08778f7.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ps you asked what the problem was with the data ? well when 50% is based on "projected" have to suggest we are now talking half truths :D 

lets face it, when you look at the graph, see a slight uptick in a couple of years and then suddenly we are flying up ? since when did 2 data points on a graph make a trend :D 

id be shot down in flames if i put up a graph like that in real life hehe

but then been in corporate land long enough to see those kpmg and PWC reports the ones that come up wiht all sorts... all great for senior levels .. who want a report...doesnt matter usually has little to do with what actually might or does pan out :)

it was only projected .... hehe

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, :) al said:

ps you asked what the problem was with the data ? well when 50% is based on "projected" have to suggest we are now talking half truths :D 

lets face it, when you look at the graph, see a slight uptick in a couple of years and then suddenly we are flying up ? since when did 2 data points on a graph make a trend :D 

id be shot down in flames if i put up a graph like that in real life hehe

but then been in corporate land long enough to see those kpmg and PWC reports the ones that come up wiht all sorts... all great for senior levels .. who want a report...doesnt matter usually has little to do with what actually might or does pan out :)

it was only projected .... hehe

Easy to criticise a mere graph. 'Half truths' you talk about is most likely based on previous data. I'm not that interested to buy their actual report but I'm sure they didn't come up with some voodoo forecast. You know, you may potentially face legal claims when you are blatantly misleading. 

The important thing is that there's a study based on actual data in support of a trend. What's yours? :D

Guest ClassicalGuy

As someone who has/does move a lot, I did have 1-2000 CDs which I know is nothing compared to others but it was still a big hassle having to pack them, unpack, and hope that the new house would have somewhere to conveniently store/display them and still have easy access. I have since sold them all off and now when I want something I try for hi-res download, then Tidal, then Spotify, and finally CD. I don't miss CDs, but everything is available on CD so I still end up buying quite a few, even if they're immediately scanned into Audirvana. 

@Happy I'm interested to know why you chose those words for the title of this thread?

You could have called it.. "streaming revenue exceeds physical media revenue" for example.

How do you feel about this happening? Pleased, displeased or indifferent?

I've always liked the secondhand aspect of music sales. I like that physical media can be sold at a shop, or market, or donated to charity or sold privately on Stereonet classifieds. I like that physical media can have a limited release and become rare and collectable. I like that the secondhand media creates jobs, and gives people something to do by hunting through record shops etc.

I also really like physical media becuse there is no need whatsoever for a computer to turned on.

I know that the music industry is really only interested in new sales. Just the same as any other industry is. But I personally dont really care about the large corporations in the music industry. If they make lots of profit or  zero profit, it will not stop the music, because its the artists who make the music, not the record labels.

The aspect of music that I like is the artists, and what their music does for me personally and how it makes people think and feel. 

I find the title of the chart "streaming powers music industry revival" to be laughable, because the industry is nothing without the music, which comes from the talented musicians. Its just talking about money, which is the least interesting aspect of any creative field. Just my personal opinion, but if the "industry" wants to make more money they should promote more interesting music rather than the junk they regularly serve up.

There are plenty of interesting talented musicians around.

Edited by eltech
  • Like 5

Just now, eltech said:

@Happy I'm interested to know why you chose those words for the title of this thread?

You could have called it.. "streaming revenue exceeds physical media revenue" for example.

How do you feel about this happening? Pleased, displeased or indifferent?

Indifferent really. It is an article relevant to this community. I can see you might not like the somewhat provocative nature of the title. 

3 minutes ago, Happy said:

Indifferent really. It is an article relevant to this community. I can see you might not like the somewhat provocative nature of the title. 

Well, it certainly appears to be worded to elicit an emotional response.

Just now, eltech said:

Well, it certainly appears to be worded to elicit an emotional response.

Whilst I see that's a reasonable take, I don't see why anyone has to feel injured unless you're in physical media manufacturing business or something.

It's a casual internet forum. When I start a thread I don't have to make it look like a thesis. 

Agree 100% with @eltech

That title is very emotive

When graphs are published there can be many interpretations and the headline or title line shows the opinion of the publisher and the way he/she wishes it to be understood

Physical media is often targeted in this manner because the corportate money makers ( not the artists ) make far more by giving you nothing tangible for a fee, either one off or on a monthly /yearly basis

Edited by rantan

7 hours ago, ABG said:

That's exactly what I use Tidal for.  When I hear a new song that grabs my attention, I make note of it then listen to the album on Tidal when I get home.  Ditto with all the great albums I read about on the Currently Spinning thread.  If I like it after a few listens, it goes into the list of records to buy for the month.  

Same here, Tidal is great for finding new music so you can find out if you like it enough to buy.

cheers Terry

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

That is where Bandcamp is so good. Independent artists where you can listen to entire albums most of the time. For somewhat more established artists there is always the free version of Spotify or Youtube.

• Like 2

Whilst I see that's a reasonable take, I don't see why anyone has to feel injured unless you're in physical media manufacturing business or something.

It's a casual internet forum. When I start a thread I don't have to make it look like a thesis. 

Actually, if there is a suggestion that something you like will be taken away (physical media), there is a legitimate reason to express your upset at the situation.

I deleted my double post.

Tapatalk strikes again with its “one press double post rapid fire” technique

An example of technology displaying is fallibility; because it is programmed by humans.

Edited by eltech

5 minutes ago, eltech said:

Actually, if there is a suggestion that something you like will be taken away (physical media), there is a legitimate reason to express your upset at the situation.

So be it. Express it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happy said:

Who said anyone was injured?

Why do you need to defend yourself if you feel you were justified?

I bought a $26 cable that changed my life (3.5 mm jack to RCA) connecting my computer to my amplifier.

Youtube has just about every album imaginable streaming for free.  If I really love something I will buy a physical copy, otherwise I'm surfing the endless wave of free music.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, andrewp said:

3000 albums...Sha...yit!!!

Man alive how the heck do you find the time to play any more than once every 8 yrs...Just the dusting time alone would be staggering!

@andrewp Andrew, you really should stay in more, 3000 isn't a lot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattyW said:

I fail to see how it's any different to watching MTV or listening to the radio to discover music, then going out to buy the CD as I did when I was younger. I also made plenty of mix tapes recorded from FM radio

It's different 'cos you're getting to absorb an album in its entirety as opposed to hearing one song in isolation.  Listening to an album on Tidal before buying means I no longer buy an album that has just one good song on it - Cut The Cr@p by The Clash ring any bells for anyone?  If only they had...

8 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

How is mainstream radio less random than SBS chill or any of the other stations you bathe to? 

Is it that you are self-selecting stations that you like? 

The challenge, if we want to really discover new music, is to go beyond this self-selection. Be daring, live a little and listen to mainstream radio. You may discover something new that you like :) 

We're about as likely to hear something new and daring on mainstream radio as we are to see the four horsemen of the apocalypse ride down my street.  

Hang on a minute...

Nah, it's just a bunch of p!ssed blokes from the local polo club.  As you were.

8 hours ago, Silent Screamer said:

I'm officially old, the only way I am exposed to new music now is through a GTG. The last new artist I picked up was Gotye from @henry218 at his place probably 5 years ago.

Nobody's too old to appreciate new music @Silent Screamer.  Give an album called Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs a spin and let me know if I'm cold, warm, or hot.  We'll find something from the last few years that tickles your fancy.  :thumb:  If you don't have a streaming service, you'll find it on YouTube.  If you don't have YouTube, I'll throw a CD your way.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ABG said:

It's different 'cos you're getting to absorb an album in its entirety as opposed to hearing one song in isolation.  Listening to an album on Tidal before buying means I no longer buy an album that has just one good song on it - Cut The Cr@p by The Clash ring any bells for anyone?  If only they had...

We're about as likely to hear something new and daring on mainstream radio as we are to see the four horsemen of the apocalypse ride down my street.  

Hang on a minute...

Nah, it's just a bunch of p!ssed blokes from the local polo club.  As you were.

Nobody's too old to appreciate new music @Silent Screamer.  Give an album called Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs a spin and let me know if I'm cold, warm, or hot.  We'll find something from the last few years that tickles your fancy.  :thumb:  If you don't have a streaming service, you'll find it on YouTube.  If you don't have YouTube, I'll throw a CD your way.  

Excellent album Andrew. I had a listen on Tidal last night. Another group to add to the list.