S.A.M. Aldebaran turntable from Croatia

I've only tried a Dual idler which was nice. The big limitation with the Duals is the tonearm though.

Having said that, I think I'm done with new tables now

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

Ok, picked up the Aldebaran from Geoff this morning and the first LP I put on was Roxette's Look Sharp, a pressing from Germany so pretty decent. I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the sound I'm getting. With the Hana EL on the FR-14 arm soundstage wide and deep, insanely dynamic and with bass that I simply didn't know turntables could provide. This exceeds what I've heard from the few idler drive tables I've heard and by no small margin.... Needless to say there absolutely no comparison between this and my JVC TT-71 either. Actually, I'm lost for words. I've never heard music like this non stop. Actually until now I though that my digital setup was approaching vinyl playback...... I daresay that will still be true, provided I rip my LP collection and play back over it. Insane!

ed22e1b62bb18e45e229d5b7b83dd664.jpg

587489cc2c960efbd13b2f11a22bc70a.jpg

4d47fa6f0daf06b0bfd99c1577adb328.jpg

This table was definitely worth the time and effort.

• Like 14

Glad you have it set-up Matt. It was a pleasure to work on.  I'm developing a real fondness for these Hana carts.  On this arm and turntable, the Hana has revealed a stunning level of detail and dynamics.  And I was very surprised by just how much this turntable contributed to the sound staging, not to mention the power of the bass response.  It's very impressive.

Thankyou very much for the set up on this Geoff. I'd not have been able to get this working this beautifully myself. I spent a good portion of today listening to it. This is definitely my final table. I don't see that this table could be improved upon. It's output is nothing short of breathtaking. [emoji4]

I still don't know why they don't damp the motor cavity stock as it's so easy to do. If that is taken care of S.A.M really do have a world class product on their hands. There's absolutely no way these will remain at this price point.

If anyone is looking for a spectacular sounding table without it costing an arm and a leg, I can highly recommend the S.A.M Aldebaran :)

• Like 3

@MattyW I found this interesting.  I set-up my Acoustic Research XA today with the Audio Origami PU7 and an Empire 2000Z cart.  It sounded surprisingly like the Ortofon SPU on the Aldebaran.  Incredibly smooth.  So vintage cart plus modern tonearm plus  vintage turntable sounds like vintage cart plus vintage tonearm plus modern turntable.  I may need to pick up a Hana for this new set-up and see if it can do the same dynamics it was doing with the Aldebaran.  But there's a few other cartridges in the collection to try first. 

Guest Point source
15 minutes ago, evil c said:

Be a pioneer - plus I want to hear one, am intrigued if it's a step up from my current deck! emoji2.png

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hmmmm i don't mind being a pioneer as long as due diligence has been made..

19 minutes ago, MattyW said:

If you're in Brisbane I'm very happy to demo. This is my final table..... Along with my JVC TT-71

Regrettably both Brian and I live in the bowels of Australia (Vic) but appreciate the offer ! :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Point source said:

Hmmmm i don't mind being a pioneer as long as due diligence has been made..

Bah , said like a true over conservative flat earth Maggie's owner! :rollseyes

Just take a punt and rely on the word of your fellow enlightened SNA member, I did with my "magic' Wand tonearm and no regrets. ;)

I'll see if I can record some samples.... If you don't mind hearing Eric Clapton Unplugged or David Brubeck's Jazz Impressions of Japan. You'll need a pretty decent DAC to do the samples justice though. S.M.S.L. M8 for entry...... Through a Gustard DAC-X12 I can't hear the difference between LP and ripped copy. Best I can do.

• Like 2

Guest Point source
16 minutes ago, evil c said:

Regrettably both Brian and I live in the bowels of Australia (Vic) but appreciate the offer ! :thumb:

Bah , said like a true over conservative flat earth Maggie's owner! :rollseyes

Just take a punt and rely on the word of your fellow enlightened SNA member, I did with my "magic' Wand tonearm and no regrets. ;)

Perhaps I should add that S.A.M 's website not the eBay site has a very nice pair of MG20's on it.

Long Live the flat panel woohoo 

4 minutes ago, Point source said:

Perhaps I should add that S.A.M 's website not the eBay site has a very nice pair of MG20's on it.

Long Live the flat panel woohoo 

Great - like a brown floatie in a pool , suddenly lost my appetite ! :unsure:

• Like 2

Guest Point source
23 minutes ago, evil c said:

Great - like a brown floatie in a pool , suddenly lost my appetite ! :unsure:

Typical - although Clive has an uncanny habit of picking a good red to drink ahem in moderation.

44 minutes ago, Point source said:

Typical - although Clive has an uncanny habit of picking a good red to drink ahem in moderation.

Ha ha - good backhanded compliment,  a discerning drunk! :P

Seriously @MattyW - my major concern is the speed stability, I know the large mass of the platter etc. helps in this regard but wondering if there's any opportunity to have electronic stabilization / control like I have with my Hercules?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

I honestly don't know..... It uses a power brick so I guess it's a DC motor rather than AC. I wasn't too concerned other than how the table performs.

I considered a speed box when I had my Ariston RD110 SL though the sound was so pleasant that I never bothered with it.... I won't worry about one for this table either. It's simply unnecessary.

The only issue with these tables is motor noise, and that turned out surprisingly easy to overcome. The tables torque is also incredible. I suspect that has something to do with its incredible bass, slam and dynamics.

Interestingly it's also the quietest table I've had in terms of hum. With my EAR 834P on full gain there is no hum. Not at listening levels.... Then again, the Hana EL is double the output of what I was running on my last system.

I guess you could contact Ivan at S.A.M. He's a really helpful guy.

• Like 1

I've just yesterday swapped the Oldchen SEP amp for a Khozmo preamp and Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks.... Needs some burn in on the preamp to sound it's best I think.... Otherwise I may revert back to that sweet sounding little Oldchen amp

We'll want to arrange the listening session on a weekend while my wife is at work. She doesn't much like such things :(