What 'digital' have you bought today? 

8 hours ago, enikoy said:

Yesterday's charity store haul. For listening, the car or "mates trade pool". All for  $36. Any duds considered a donation ?

2017-09-10 09.03.10.jpg

thats a cool haul. Do you like the Verve remixed? l had few of these releases over the years  & they are pretty good.

On 9/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

thats a cool haul. Do you like the Verve remixed? l had few of these releases over the years  & they are pretty good.

I listened to it last night, higher end 1999 downtempo/trip hop, enjoyable listen with lashings of bass to put a smile on my face :thumb: Enough interesting bits to have you running back to the room if you leave it on in the background.

Just looking back at the haul, I was surprised how much  downtempo/trip hop/bass heavy stuff I grabbed. I think at the time it was released I enjoyed it, but it was kind of all around played by my friends and the kool kids at cafes, JJJ etc. Now I'm getting back into it, as if the first time, with a decent hifi set up that can handle the low end.

• Like 1

Bought a couple of CDs on the weekend, but just listened to them a few minutes ago. Got them for $1.00 each at a local OP shop

creedence21.jpg.0ce826f87ab5d0975d5daa9a6965ab69.jpg

silencersCD.jpg.c0ca27f6081593059967a7a684932e97.jpg

The Creedence album is pretty obvious, but the second album, The Silencers - Seconds of Pleasure, is bl@@dy awesome. I can't believe I haven't noticed the band before, considering they've been around since the 80's. More of a pop rock and ballad type of music (I don't understand the nuances of genres), but with that definitive sound that many Celtic origin bands have. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with it.

The Silencers - I can feel it.

Small Mercy

Misunderstood

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Creedence s a longtime fave of mine too. The Silencers i've not heard of ether -so will check out the links later have Eric Dolphy at the 5 spot spinning at the moment!

I just listened to a bit of that on YouTube and yeah, that's cool. What struck me, listening at about the 11 min mark, that piano (Mal Waldron) just screams Supertramp to me. Listen to Child of vision off Breakfast in America, from about halfway especially.

Edited by bob_m_54

22 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

I just listened to a bit of that on YouTube and yeah, that's cool. What struck me, listening at about the 11 min mark, that piano (Mal Waldron) just screams Supertramp to me. Listen to Child of vision off Breakfast in America, from about halfway especially.

Hey yeah l was a bit sceptical at first so  l played both 5 spot vol 1 & Child of vision (+ the logical song & long way home (both organ on both admittedly)) & l think you are right there are strong references to Walron's solo in Child of vision.  l listened to The Silencers can't believe  l missed them in the 1980s early 90s too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/6/2017 at 12:13 PM, jeromelang said:

After months of extensive audition, i finally brought one home.

20171006_004143.jpg

Sounds fantastic!!!

l missed out on two of these recently (when l bought the Yamaha natural sound CD player) by not mang a reasonable offer; serves me right!

Well we’ll well, I’m an EXTREMELY happy individual at the moment. 

Neil Diamonds album “You don’t bring me flowers” is probably one of my favorite and most sentimental albums of all time. I’ve always thought the cd version I own was a wonderful recording, just a bit on the quiet side, but that’s no issue, I’ve got power, and a volume control. 

Ever since i started  buying stuff from HDTracksi always had my eye out for this album, but today I just noticed it finally was there, and in 24/192 and I’m thinking, can’t be any worse than the cd at least, I’ll give it a go. 

Bugga me, what on earth did they do to that recording, hands down one of the best 192’s I’ve ever heard, and thankfully it just had to be that album. 

Tonight is is a very very good night to be an audio file. #%@& me I’m happy. 

Sir Neil, respect. 

0FD007AA-01DB-4F1E-960C-DBF729AB8C32.jpeg

Edited by Sime

Various, ‎The Sun Records Collection. Pazzazz ‎ 2PAZZ007, 2 × CD, Compilation 2004.

Van Morrison, ‎ Midnight Special. Pazzazz ‎– 2PAZZ002, 2 × CD, Compilation Germany 2004.

Enjoying these Pazzazz CD compilations the first is reissues of 1994 CD selections of the Sun Records stable of artists from their 50th Anniversary etc. 

The Van Morrison CD set is a reissue from New York Sessions '67; disc 1 is Blowin' Your Mind & disc 2 is only curiosity values as it is17 tracks from the 32 "improvised nonsense songs Morrison recorded in order to fulfill his contract with Bang Records." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Sessions_'67 

DSCN1681.JPG

DSCN1682.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Currently downloading one my favorite albums, Slayers “Reign in Blood” in 24/192 to see if there’s any difference between this and my original pressing 80’s CD. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

Currently downloading one my favorite albums, Slayers “Reign in Blood” in 24/192 to see if there’s any difference between this and my original pressing 80’s CD. 

It "looks" like that's a yes.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Slayer&album=Reign+In+Blood

Rescued the following CDs from the $0.50 bin today:

Micheal Nyman - Live -- composer from The Piano, Greenaway films, etc.

Erlend Øye - Unrest -- singer from Kings Of Convenience goes all electronic

Russell Morris - Foot In The Door -- from the late 70s, worth a punt

Neko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken -- hope they are worth listening to

Richard Thompson - Grizzly Man -- soundtrack

Yvonne Kenny, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra - Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 -- to compare to the Dawn Upshaw version 

--Geoff 

• Like 1

I recently upgraded my power amp and got inspired to expand my highres digital collection further as a result and splurged a bit and bought the following in the last week (all from prestoclassical):

Prokofiev: Sinfonia concertante & Rachmaninov: Vocalise - album download

• Catalogue No: 9029587234

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition - album download

• Catalogue No: RCO09004

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64 - album download

• Catalogue No: LSO0682

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker, Op. 71, etc. - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186091

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186338

Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 in B flat major - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186351

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186378

Liszt: The 2 Piano Concertos - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186397

Prokofiev & Khachaturian: Piano Concertos - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186510

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe - album download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186652

Ravel: Boléro (from the album Tour de France Musicale) - work download

• Catalogue No: PTC5186058

I don't see much classical listed on this thread but most of my library is these days. Weirdly there was something wrong with the Tchaikovsky nutcracker album and none of the tracks lined up - track 1 was actually the music from track 10 onwards... I've been trying to get presto to understand what's wrong and have had a few emails back and forth. Hopefully they can sort it out and I can get the correct music or a refund (I'd rather have the music.) So far I've listened to everything at least once.

• Like 1

Mozart* • Lisa Beznosiuk • Frances Kelly • Danny Bond (2) • The Academy Of Ancient Music • Christopher Hogwood ‎– Flute And Harp Concerto • Flute Concerto No. 1 • Andante In C • Bassoon Concerto. L'Oiseau-Lyre ‎ 417 622-2 Florilegium Series –Europe 1988.

Haydn*, Hummel*, Hertel*, Stamitz*, Håkan Hardenberger, Academy Of St. Martin-in-the-Fields*, Sir Neville Marriner ‎– Trumpet Concertos. Philips Digital Classics ‎ 420 203-2 Germany 1987.

Bought these today l am a sucker for L'Oiseau-Lyre  Florilegium Series & a long time fan of Håkan Hardenberger. 

DSCN1735.JPG

• Like 1