jazzdog@groovemasters

What 'digital' have you bought today? 

I bought a second hand Yamaha CD-N301 Natural sound CD player to replace my old faithful Yamaha carousel aka, anchor weight (which has just died) that I used upstairs. While most of today's purchases were analog in nature, this unit sounds pretty good for the money, so why not a digital thread along the lines of, dare I say, analogous to the ever popular What have you bought today? for people to post their digital purchases, such as CDs, FLAC, CD players etc? [or is that just rhetorical?]. While I have sort of checked to see if such a thread existed, I couldn't find on as such. I am sure admin etal. will correct/move/delete this if this is incorrect.

PS the CD was in the tray when I connected it up to the system.

DSCN1258.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

eltech   

I bought Diana Ross "Diana" album from eBay uk. I haven't got it yet. I'm hoping it's the uncompressed 1993 release.

eltech   

On the weekend I bought these two CDs because I like all the songs. Being compilation albums I wasn't expecting great sound, but they've both turned out to be two of my best sounding CDs. I'll tell you why. Both of them quite clearly use the original master tapes. All the hiss is present, and the AD converters they used are spectacular. Ive got the vinyl records containing most of these songs and the sound is identical but frankly better. All the deep bass and excellent sonic balance is present, but without the distortion present in all vinyl playback. I highly recommend these rare CDs if you can find them.bf353b12c4af640bee59dedde3a884bb.jpgc41823be26b3e6d6d62a1c7f52d04cbe.jpg

32 minutes ago, eltech said:

On the weekend I bought these two CDs because I like all the songs. Being compilation albums I wasn't expecting great sound, but they've both turned out to be two of my best sounding CDs. I'll tell you why. Both of them quite clearly use the original master tapes. All the hiss is present, and the AD converters they used are spectacular. Ive got the vinyl records containing most of these songs and the sound is identical but frankly better. All the deep bass and excellent sonic balance is present, but without the distortion present in all vinyl playback. I highly recommend these rare CDs if you can find them.bf353b12c4af640bee59dedde3a884bb.jpgc41823be26b3e6d6d62a1c7f52d04cbe.jpg

I will certainly keep my eye out for these, Aust gold looks like a good summation of the 1970s. Likewise Sound of the City is like a snapshot of the popular 1980s UK & Oz bands. I have a number of Blue Note & Prestige jazz compilations on CD & the SQ on both labels is great, as is the well matched track selections. 

Pokemon the movie. I bought this for my (adult) son, who collects Pokemon, but he'll probably say what did you buy that for?

DSCN1314.JPG

DSCN1315.JPG

frankn   

Verdi Requiem / LSO. 

AIFF24/ 48KHz

eltech   
nice little haul, Le Oppe Shoppe?

Oui

Posted (edited)

The Yamaha CD-N301 is one of those rare CD player that reads toc and then park its laser at track 1 instead of track 0 like 99.999% of CD players prevalent in the market out there.

The advantage is that when play commences from track 1, the player doesn't chalk up play memory prior to playback, and for some unknown reasons, that makes sound reproduction very musical with effortless ease.

Here's how you can optimise its sound.

remove disc.

power down player.

even better, power down from the wall/distributor.

then power up again.

open tray.

load disc and close tray.

let the player read toc, park itself at track 1 settle.

press the large jog dial quickly to commence playing.

Edited by jeromelang

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

The Yamaha CD-N301 is one of those rare CD player that reads toc and then park its laser at track 1 instead of track 0 like 99.999% of CD players prevalent in the market out there.

The advantage is that when play commences from track 1, the player doesn't chalk up play memory prior to playback, and for some unknown reasons, that makes sound reproduction very musical with effortless ease.

remove disc.

power down player.

then power up again.

open tray.

How is this relevant to this thread?

22 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

How is this relevant to this thread?

lt is relevant because jeromelang was commenting on my opening post to start this thread -which was about the The Yamaha CD-N301 player that  had just bought back in June. l couldn't post the purchase on the  what have you bought today  (Stevoz) thread as that is supposed to be for analouge products -so l thought a digital thread would be useful to members.

l am just happy that people are posting -as  haven't bought any CDs etc for a while to post about plus Steveoz  buys more stuff than me & curates his thread better......

On 8/19/2017 at 9:31 PM, jeromelang said:

remove disc.

power down player.

then power up again.

open tray.

thanks very much for the tip -will give it a go.

19 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

lt is relevant because jeromelang was commenting on my opening post to start this thread -which was about the The Yamaha CD-N301 player that  had just bought back in June. l couldn't post the purchase on the  what have you bought today  (Stevoz) thread as that is supposed to be for analouge products -so l thought a digital thread would be useful to members.

l am just happy that people are posting -as  haven't bought any CDs etc for a while to post about plus Steveoz  buys more stuff than me & curates his thread better......

My apologies, I swear that your first post wasn't there when I made my comment. 

I blame the recent forum bugs or my blindness 

3 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

My apologies, I swear that your first post wasn't there when I made my comment. 

I blame the recent forum bugs or my blindness 

Not a problem. lf you are happy spread the word that is a 'digital ' purchases thread -that would be great!

Posted (edited)

Just bought a cheapo "kettle pot" powercord to feed my scd-xa9000es

heard a dealer call these thin, run-of-the-mill, origin-unknown brand powercords "kettle-pot" as they are usually supplied with household appliances.

20170819_102331.jpg

There, you see? The tail end of the kettle pot wire is feeding into the rear end of the cd player?

20170819_102355.jpg

Qualify as a "digital" purchase or not?

Edited by jeromelang

rantan   

I forgot that kettle cords are CDs.

Shame on me:)

Posted (edited)

Bought a few sacds 

20170817_002817.jpg

20170817_003004.jpg[/img]

20170817_003031.jpg

20170817_002933.jpg

20170817_002754.jpg

Edited by jeromelang

Great thread. I buy CD's from Cash Converters. Cannot resist at a buck a pop. Plenty of dross to wade through but plenty of good stuff too. I am constantly amazed at what people throw out. ( selling stuff to CC's is the same as throwing it out. They would have paid 20 to 30 cents for those Cd's). Anyway I will dig through what I have bought lately and post up some photos later.

bob_m_54   

Garage sales can be a CD goldmine sometimes. I've bought literally 100's of CDs this way. I bought a  bulk buy of 250 CDs for $150.00 (about 220 titles of interest to me, or not ones I already had) and another bulk buy of CDs without cases, in one of those folders, of 70 CDs for $20.00 (about 55 titles of interest). Most weekends I'll end up with 10 or 20 to add to the collection though. I've noticed that garage sales are no longer as good for vinyl though, unless you get there as soon as they open the sale.

Something unusual (to me) I bought a couple of weeks ago, was this System of a Down, self titled CD. The CD is black. Well actually it is a very dark purplish blue, when you shine a bright light through it. A bit like the old play station discs.sod-1.jpg.e570aa088fe86017ef7597eb7123abe5.jpgsod-2.jpg.0bcd58cf32ea2d51ffd5c4abe8d83f93.jpgsod-3.jpg.7367ce1eb23826a3731669ad6e751e99.jpg

21 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Just bought a cheapo "kettle pot" powercord to feed my scd-xa9000es

heard a dealer call these thin, run-of-the-mill, origin-unknown brand powercords "kettle-pot" as they are usually supplied with household appliances.

20170819_102331.jpg

There, you see? The tail end of the kettle pot wire is feeding into the rear end of the cd player?

20170819_102355.jpg

Qualify as a "digital" purchase or not?

yeah sure  -this is a relaxed thread space & l had to turn the house upside down to find a cord for the the Yamaha CD-N301 player as it was a demonstrator -no cord & no remote -price was OK though. 

Sime   

I bought Steve Wilson and Shelby Lynne's new album from HDTracks. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PicoWattson
      Item: Gergiev Festival Live-Rotterdam Philharmonic @ Marinsky Theatre
      Price: $15 & Postage  Free (read extra info)
      Item Condition: As new
      Reason for selling: Not my genre
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Beautifully recorded & packaged 4 CD set. CD1 Debussy/Prokiev/Shostakovich
      CD2 Ravel/Stravinsky/Taneyev, CD3 Tchaikovsky x 2, CD4 Stravinsky/Bartok/Prokiev. 
      This has been added to my other listing of CDs and is included at no extra charge. 

Pictures:

• By PicoWattson
      Item: CDs 138 titles 149 discs
      Price: $200
      Item Condition: Varies. Some as new some lightly scratched, but all playable.
      Reason for selling: Thinning the herd.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash Only, please no requests to post at this stage.
      Extra Info: Buyer will have first option on the following box. List attached.
      I have added the 4 CD set Gergiev Festival-Rotterdam Phiharmonic listed elsewhere.

Pictures:

CD List.pdf
    • By captaineos
      Item: Huawei P9 Plus 64GB VIE-L29, Fully unlocked, Nano sim working better than ever on Telstra 4GX
      Price: 550 ONO. 
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling:
      iMessage with family is getting tricky - I miss messages as they go to my Mac even after disabling my phone number and hours of troubleshooting with Applecare. 

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Hi everyone
      For sale is my Huawei P9 Plus.
      Standout features from my experience are:
      NATIVE 192/24 FLAC support that works across stock music app and others. DTS headphone preset is magnificent and has been permently on after a week of testing I just loved the extra tone without distortion ( tested on Logitech UE-900 IEMS)
      Supports all Micro SD cards too if you're a FLAC junkie like I am
      Android 7 - 100% stock firmware and never rooted/hacked. 
      Supports Commonwealth Bank tap pay perfectly.  You can fingerprint lock the app so tap your finger to get in, 4 digit pin then tap and pay.  Most secure form of tap and pay IMO.  
      4GB RAM
      OLED Screen full HD and tuneable saturation AND tint across all degrees kelvin, perfect if you don't want extreme yellow tint but want to tune out the blue a little for everyday use. 
      Offical Huawei flip case with closed controls for music, alarms, beautiful clock.  Magnetic lock to save wear and tear on power button.
      Huawei themes also change flip case lock screen background to match.
      MicroSD support
      USB-C 
      Stereo speakers in landscape that work well
      Headphone jack with DTS audio processing - I left it on and loved it
      Fast charging - the fastest I've ever had in a phone.  Comes with genuine Huawei fast charger (9V), genuine USB-C to normal cable
      Longest battery life of any phone I've had in usage.  I work shifts and can rely on it.
      Rear fingerprint reader is instant and conveniently placed
      Camera supports manual shutter speed- perfect if you take pictures of CRTs.  Can lock to 1/50th for PAL or 1/60th for NTSC.   A lot can be said for this camera.

Reasons for sale:
      Condition:
      Looked after with pride.  Screen protectors are impossible on this model to get perfect due to subtle curved edges so the flip case does it's job.  Have had three on over the months of ownership but kept taking them off due to poor fit. Screen is great.

Some wear marks?
      Complete with 100% retail packaging 
      Note the charger was US style and I've carefully bent the pins into AU 
      Will be restored to factory settings of course

Listing solely on SNA first as everyone here over the years has been painless. 
      Pictures:
      All of the photos of it on are from current tense, the photos of packaging were taken on day one but are as shown. I like to photograph what I do as my memory needs a few hints ;-)

• By Hydrology
      Item:  FS: Large CD collection
      Price:  Various (See list below, or make an offer for ENTIRE collection) - $1.00 per disc for postage (min: 5 Discs). Whole collection - postage negotiable.
      Item Condition: Very good to excellent - a lot have never been played!
      Reason for selling: Moving home soon - need to declutter
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (buyer pays fees), Bank Deposit
      Extra Info: As part of the clearout in preparation for a move to a new home, my music collection is now in the firing line. This is part two of a 20 year+ collection (some CDs only bought weeks ago). Would ideally like to sell as one job lot, however happy to separate if there is enough interest in the discs from plenty of individuals. 
      FOR BUYERS LOOKING FOR THE ODD DISC or TWO, THERE IS A MINIMUM 5 Disc purchase otherwise postage charges make this not worth the while. Add $1.00 per disc for postage.

The list is below and available as a PDF attached below:-

A House I Want Too Much $4.00   Adele 21 $5.00   Aimee Mann Magnolia - Music From the Motion Picture $5.00           Amanda Ghost Ghost Stories $5.00   Anita Lane Dirty Pearl $5.00           Beastie Boys Hello Nasty $5.00           Birdy Birdy $5.00           Bomb the Bass Back to Light $5.00   Bran Van 3000 Glee $5.00   Bush Razorblade Suitcase $5.00   Client Client $4.00   Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the Head $5.00   Craig Armstrong As If To Nothing $5.00   Craig Armstrong The Space Between Us $5.00   Crime and the City Solution The Adversary Live $5.00   Curve Gift $4.00 Cracked Case Curve Come Clean $5.00   Damien Rice O $5.00   David Gray Life in Slow Motion $5.00   David Gray Sell Sell Sell $5.00   David Gray White Ladder $5.00   David Gray Foundling $5.00   David Gray Draw the Line $8.00 Double CD Gatefold David Gray A New Day at Midnight $5.00   David Gray Lost Songs $5.00   David Gray A Century Ends $5.00   David Gray The EP's 92-94 $5.00   David Gray Mutineers (Box Set) $15.00 3 x CD David Guetta Nothing But the Beat $5.00   David Holmes / Various Artists Out of Sight - Music From the Motion Picture $5.00   David Lynch Crazy Clown Time $5.00   Death in Vegas The Contino Sessions $5.00   Deep Forest Deep Forest $5.00   dEUS Worst Case Scenario $5.00   Dj Rap Learning Curve $5.00   Ed Sheeran + $5.00           Elbow The Seldom Seen Kid $5.00   Emma Hewitt Burn the Sky Down $5.00 2 x CD                 Franz Ferdinand You Could Have it so Much Better $5.00   Franz Ferdinand Franz Ferdinand $5.00           Fun Lovin' Criminals Come Find Yourself $5.00   Gary Jules Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets $5.00   Gary Numan The Best of Gary Numan $5.00   Gavin Friday Shag Tobacco $5.00   Gavin Friday Adam n Eve $5.00                   Gesaffelstein Aleph $5.00   Glen Hansard Drive All Night E.P. $4.00   Glen Hansard Rhythm and Repose $5.00   Glen Hensard & Market Irglova The Swell Season $5.00   Gorecki Symphony No.3 $5.00   Grandadbob Waltzes for Weirdoes $5.00   Gravity Kills Gravity Kills $5.00           Grinderman Grinderman 2 RMX $5.00   Guy Sebastian Armageddon $5.00   How to Destroy Angels How to Destroy Angels E.P. $5.00   Hozier Hozier $5.00   IAMX Everything is Burning $5.00 2 x CD Gatefold IAMX Metanoia $5.00   IAMX Volatile Times (NO Case) $3.00   Ian Brown The World is Yours $5.00   Imani Coppola Chupacabra $5.00   Iva Davies Master and Commander - Music From the Motion Picture $5.00   Jack Lukeman Metropolis Blue $5.00           James Millionaires $5.00 Double CD         James Hey Ma $5.00   James Whiplash $5.00   James Pleased to Meet You $5.00                   James WahWah $5.00   James Gold Mother $5.00   Jesus Jones Perverse $5.00   Jesus Jones Already $5.00   Jewel Pieces of You $5.00           Junkie XL Radio JXL - A Broadcast From the Computer Hell Cabin $5.00   Ladyhawke Ladyhawke $5.00   Lamb Between Darkness and Wonder $5.00   Lamb What Sound $5.00   Lamb Fear of Fours $5.00           Liars Mess $4.00 Slipcase                         Lou Rhodes One Good Thing $5.00   Lou Rhodes Bloom $6.00 2 x CD Lou Rhodes Beloved One $5.00   Madonna Music $5.00   Madonna Ray of LIght $5.00   Madonna American Life $5.00           Massive Attack Blue Lines $5.00   Massive Attack 100th Window $5.00   Massive Attack Mezzanine $5.00   Maxim Hells Kitchen $5.00   Meat Beat Manifesto Satyricon $5.00   Methods of Mayhem Methods of Mayhem $5.00   MGMT Oracular Spectacular $5.00           Modest Mouse Good News for People Who Love Bad News $5.00   Morrissey Viva Hate $5.00   Mundy Live and Confusion $5.00           Nearly God Heaven $5.00                   Nitzer Ebb Industrial Complex $5.00 2 x CD Nitzer Ebb Ebbhead $5.00   Nitzer Ebb Big Hit $5.00   Nitzer Ebb Showtime $5.00   Nitzer Ebb That Total Age $5.00   Nitzer Ebb Belief $5.00           Passenger All the Little Lights $5.00   Patrick Doyle Carlito's Way - Original Soundtrack to the Motion Picture $5.00   Paul Oakenfold Bunkka $5.00                                           Pop Will Eat Itself Two Fingers My Friends $5.00 Double CD Pop Will Eat Itself This is the Day, This is the Hour, This is This! $5.00   Pop Will Eat Itself At Weirds Bar and Grill $5.00   Pop Will Eat Itself Amalgamation $5.00   Pop Will Eat Itself The Looks or the Lifestyle $5.00   Pop Will Eat Itself Dos Dedos Mis Amigos $5.00   Portishead Dummy $5.00                   Radiohead In Rainbows $7.00 Gatefold Card Edition Foldout                 Robyn Robyn $5.00   Robyn Body Talk $5.00   Robyn Body Talk Pt. II $5.00   Robyn Body Talk Pt. I $5.00   Sack Butterfly Effect $5.00   Sam Smith In the Lonely Hour $5.00   Senser Stacked Up $5.00   Sheep on Drugs Greatest Hits $5.00   Sigur Ros Takk $5.00   Sinead O Connor Faith and Courage $5.00   Sinead O Connor I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss $5.00                                           Sinead O Connor The Lion and the Cobra $5.00   Sinead O Connor Universal Mother $5.00   Sinead O Connor Sean-Nos Nua $5.00           Suede Singles $5.00   Talk Talk Spirit of Eden $5.00                   Tenacious D Tenacious D $5.00   The Chemical Brothers Push the Button $5.00   The Darkness Permission to Land $5.00   The Frames Finally E.P. $5.00   The Frames Setlist $5.00   The Frames For the Birds $5.00   The Frames Dance the Devil $5.00   The Frames Fitzcarraldo $5.00   The Frames Burn the Maps $5.00   The Frames The Cost $5.00   The Grid Evolver $5.00   The Sisters of Mercy A Slight Case of Overbombing - Greatest Hits Vol.1 $5.00   The Swell Season Strict Joy $5.00           The Wonderstuff Eight-Legged Groove Machine $5.00           Tindersticks Tindersticks $5.00                                                           Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross The Social Network $5.00                   VCMG VCMG $4.00 Slipcase VNV Nation Automatic $5.00   William Orbit Pieces in a Modern Style $5.00   Wojciech Kilar Bram Stoker's Dracula - Original Motion Picture SOundtrack $5.00   Xavier Rudd Spirit Bird $5.00   Yazoo ReconnectedLIVE $6.00 2 x CD

Pictures:

CD Collection - Sheet1.pdf