Best way to transfer Windows XP operating system to a new hard drive

As the title suggests, I have an ancient laptop running Windows Xp Pro. The hard drive is showing signs of failure and I'd like to transfer the operating system to a new hard drive, via the USB port. I have the necessary hardware, but suggestions on the best (free) software to manage this would be helpful. And yes, I need to retain Windows Xp Pro and the ancient laptop.

Thanks

Trevor,

Macrium Reflect free version is what you want, or if you are up for a drive to the Cooks River, then I have all the gear here to do it for you - depending on the specifics of the Ancienne I may even have a suitable drive here for it and no I am not looking for payment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ophool said:

Trevor,

Macrium Reflect free version is what you want, or if you are up for a drive to the Cooks River, then I have all the gear here to do it for you - depending on the specifics of the Ancienne I may even have a suitable drive here for it and no I am not looking for payment.

Thanks to all who responded and thanks for the offer ophool. I will grapple with Macrium for a bit and see how things go. 

Hi Trevor, if you dont get very far with Macrium I have done it in the past with EaseUS partition master. It comes up free every now and again. I have a copy and unused serial if you need it. There is a migrate OS button. from memory thats all you have to do.

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Thanks to all. Things have taken rather an unfortunate turn. I cannot, for some reason, access my USB ports, nor my CD/DVD burner. Nor can I, for some weird reason, access any files over my network. Looks like I have some work to do over the weekend.

Create a Clonezilla live drive. Boot from that with the hard disk in question and spare mounted. Clone.

Will work.

2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

http://clonezilla.org/

Free, fast and awesome.

This is the one to use.

Otherwise, pull the drive and use one of these.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/orico-2bay-usb30-2535-sata-hdd-docking-station-black-ab56337?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIutCNg6Gc1AIVhgMqCh0ZhQGVEAQYAiABEgID0vD_BwE

edit - cheaper device..............also with no PC clone function.

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=306_591&products_id=156285

Edited by LogicprObe

This way is the easiest of all - I've done it a number of times now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, A J said:

This way is the easiest of all - I've done it a number of times now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah..........I dunno how old Trevor's laptop is..........might be a PATA drive.

You can get docks with both PATA and SATA but they are more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you need to retain the old laptop? (I'd understand on a desktop with a custom I/O card type setup).

Have you thought about virtualising it and running the XP image on a Win7/10 machine? You can use VmWare Converter then VMPlayer to achieve this, all free. Just a thought.