Anyone know much about Tannoy?

Thinking of getting a new speaker, something larger than a bookshelf and maybe a bit warmer then my PMC's. I been looking at the Tannoy Mercury 7.4. Anyone heard these speakers or know much about the Tannoy sound? Just wondering if it's worth the 300km trip to have a listen.

Cheers

Blake.

Guest rogerthat

I have heard the next step up Tannoy Revolution XT6 Bookshelf driven by an Exposure integrated. Was very very impressed with the sound. Could not fault the combo. Classic warm British sound with excellent resolution and balance.

Edited by rogerthat

It's not a Tannoy if it's not dual concentric. :P

Ive had the DC6 rev signature stand mounts. Really loved them, I wished that I had of bought T's at the time but couldn't afford them. Only sold them to to fund a pair of Sonique 6.5'se, would have loved to of kept them for a second system.

I did listen to a pair of PMC speakers in the same shop and preferred the tannoys so bought them. Can't remember the model number sorry.

Cheers Dave 

Big Tannoy fan here. I agree best are the dual Concentric range. If budget permits the Prestige range is the way to go.
I recently had the new Stirling GR. I have been through quite a few Tannoys over the last 20yrs and the new GR series is miles better than any of the older range.
Much more coherent. Less "honky" and no brightness whatsoever.
They will show up faults / weaknesses in your system though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been given on old set (30+ years) of Tannoy Venus V30's and to me they are fantastic speakers but I am using them at close range as desktop speakers connected to my desktop computer via a Sherwood amp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi blakey72, I owned a pair of Tannoy Mercury 7.4, and I can tell you that if you are in the market for a budget pair of floorstanding speaker, it is a good buy, but make sure you bargain.  With this in mind, there is obviously short comings when comparing to much more expensive speakers. 

From my experience, I managed to get good soundstage after some simple repositioning.  It can play loud even in larger room and can go quite low as I can feel the bass without a sub in my lounge.  The highs are acceptable majority of times, but one or two songs I found the female high notes may sound a little harsh, which is expected for this budget.  It is good for its price, but if you are after higher SQ, you will need to up your budget.  

It was an impulse buy for me as I got a bargain, but ultimately it is not good enough with demanding genre like classical music, and that's what I listen to most of the time. For rock/pop/dance music, and you are not trying to search for details in each song, it is quite lively and does its job well as a pair of budget tower speaker. 

Personally, I have only auditioned the Tannoy Revolution XT8F, not the XT6F, but find the bass a little "boomy" and the sound not very neutral even though they have more clarity and definitely sound more expensive than the Mercury 7.4, but factoring in the price tag of XT8F, and its sound being a bit "coloured", I am glad I didn't spent extra. 

Edited by att23
Typo

Guest Eggcup The Daft

To give you a comparison, the Tannoys you're looking at are quoted at 32Hz -6dB, and your PMCs are quoted at 40Hz -3dB. You may get more bass a bit higher up, but this is not the step up to a floorstander that you are necessarily looking for. Your PMCs will do a better job once you get to mid/treble. Overall, this would just give you another sidegrade to add to the three systems you already have

Surely you could pick up a decent sub for the price of the Tannoys to pair with the PMCs?

Guest OldSchool1

I was once told by friends and one dealer that only the big furnitures were Tannoy, and that others were av stuff. 

i've been always impressed with their older stuff,, but disappointed with some of the newer... it also depends what range what model.. most manufacturers increased the quality gap between their cheaper stuff and overpriced expensive stuff lately.. 

if they were close by, i'd go and have a listen, 300kms trip.. IMO .. don't bother unless reputable reviews suggest overwhelmingly otherwise..