Cartridge Recommendations - Rega RP6

Hi,

I recently discovered that the stylus on my Rega Exact cartridge is bent. So rather than replace the cartridge with another Rega Exact (even though I receive a 20% discount off the price of a new cartridge), I have decided to upgrade my cartridge and would appreciate any suggestions. There are not a large number of hi-fi stores in my area, so demos are out of the question.

I am running a Rega RP6 with an RB303 tonearm (stock standard with the RP6), Rega Elicit R amp and Monitor Audio Silver speakers. With the Elicit R, I am limited to MM cartridges; however, I believe that I can run a high output MC cartridge through the MM input. My music tastes are varied, with vinyls ranging from Otis Redding, to Simon and Garfunkel, Cold Chisel, Fireigber, Van Morrison, Eagles, Bee Gees, Steve Nicks, Fleetwood Mac etc.

Cartridges I have been considering are:
- Ortofon 2M Black (although some people state these are overrated)
- Nagaoka MP-500 (apparently selling for more than they are worth)
- Goldring 2500
- Dynavector 20X2H (high level output MC, which I believe will work on the MM input of the amp)
- Grado Refefence Platinum 2

I am not tied to any of the above cartridges, so any feedback or recommendations are most welcome. If you could also include your reasoning for certain recommendations that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

I quite like my 2M black on my souped up P25.  I don't have alot to compare it to other than a Denon wood body DL103 which was also good but I rate the 2M black a little higher.  

I used to have 2m black on my ex rp6, i was very happy with it. Ortofon carts seem match really well with rega, my current rega also has an ortofon and again great combo.

Lots of good review on hana, so i would also consider that one as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the recommendations thus far.

Given everyone's feedback and based on reviews that I have subsequently read, I am deliberating. Between the Dynavector 20x2H/L and the Hana SH/L.

I hadn't planned on buying a separate phono stage, but a few people have suggested that the integrated phono stage in the Elicit-R is not doing my system any justice. In the case that I do buy a phono stage, I will then go with a LOMC.

I haven't been able to find any reviews directly comparing the 20x2 and the Hana S, only that I have been able to find one comment from a guy who owned both cartridges and preferred the Hana. Does anyone have thoughts on which cartridge is better.

Also, given that the Hana is approx $500 cheaper than the Dynavector 20x2, I could put this $500 towards a phono stage. Any thoughts on a phono stage for either cartridge? I've been thinking of the Rega Aria, Dynavector P75 Mk3 (perhaps would suit the 20x2 if I go down that path), or a Primare R32 (there is a used one for sale for $700 in apparently mint condition). Any thoughts on a phono stage?

Thanks,

Gareth

The Audio Technica AT150MLX is this best cart I've found (out of 2m red, 2m blue, Rega exact, 2mblack). 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audio-Technica-AT-150MLX-VM-Dual-Magnet-from-Japan-/331918418306?hash=item4d47e12182:g:yDoAAOSw0RpXldlg

Warning that this is picky with setup and takes a while to run in. But It's worth it. Check out some reviews. If you like a lively sound and great detail you will love it. If you like warm relaxing sound forget it.

• 1 year later...
On 28/05/2017 at 1:19 AM, dwbasement said:

I used to have 2m black on my ex rp6, i was very happy with it. Ortofon carts seem match really well with rega, my current rega also has an ortofon and again great combo.

Lots of good review on hana, so i would also consider that one as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When the 2m series first came out, i notice tgat when using the mobile fidelty protractor, when correctly positioned, the angles of the cartridge line up with the angles of the Rega arm heads. 

Being in the biz & having hade a relationship with Ortofon for almost 2o years, I asked them about it. 

Apparently they use a Rega arm as it's possibly one of the most used arm arround. 

They of course use their own arm too. 

• 2 months later...

I can vouch for the Dynavector 10x5 on that TT/Arm combo, it was head and shoulders above anything else I tried (Nagaoka MP110, Rega Exact, Ortofon 2M silver etc..) It had a really good sound over the whole spectrum, and as a HOMC it allowed me to use various MM phono stages, in particular the Graham Slee options were all great and available for loan before committing :)

I have also found Benz to be a good option as well, and my glider is a pretty nifty cart, that I beleive comes in HO options as well....