Thoughts on the Esoteric X03se player ??

that sort of money i would also see if can check out the marantz and luxman players. which 2nd hand should be similar ball park ?

maybe worth checking out one of the new esoteric as well. I've seen krispy discount some wiht pre loved and demoes now and then :) probably be able to get one from him for demo as well ! 

its something I was certainly considering but picked up my luxman locally instead.

53 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

What do you want to know...?

Tase

Reliability, age, sound quality, worthwhile upgrade from my Yamaha or more a side step? 

46 minutes ago, :) al said:

that sort of money i would also see if can check out the marantz and luxman players. which 2nd hand should be similar ball park ?

maybe worth checking out one of the new esoteric as well. I've seen krispy discount some wiht pre loved and demoes now and then :) probably be able to get one from him for demo as well ! 

its something I was certainly considering but picked up my luxman locally instead.

Good points Al, the new marantz sa10 and the luxmans would both be good alternatives 

36 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Reliability, age, sound quality, worthwhile upgrade from my Yamaha or more a side step? 

Probably a side step unless you want to listen to Red Book only......in which case the X03se is about as good as it gets...unless you want to spend 20k+

No one makes drives like the VRDS...

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Esoterics are renowned for their built like tanks quality.   My father owns a X-03se which I have borrowed for demo purposes right now. It is probably one of the best redbook CDPs out there.    Sound quality wise... its hard to describe... but its so enjoyable.. no harshness at all... yet so detailed.. holographic layers upon layers..   I think it's definetely an upgrade... but not at that price of what they are asking.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Whats the SACD replay like ? 

That's another level.  You get even finer microdetails, a bigger soundstage. For example: Diana Krall's voice becomes even more seductive and velvety....  

• Like 1

On 25 May 2017 at 7:27 PM, Tasebass said:

Probably a side step unless you want to listen to Red Book only......in which case the X03se is about as good as it gets...unless you want to spend 20k+

No one makes drives like the VRDS...

Tase.

Potential "how long is a piece of string" question

but would the x93se sound "better" than my existing cds2100 or mores case of different. 

Old burr-brown  dacs versus newer  ESS DAC - although dacs aren't everything of course , implementation 

then there's drives and build quality between the 2 units, the yahama is built like a cruisers, the XO3se ups that to battleship 

On 27/05/2017 at 1:10 PM, cafe67 said:

Turns out the seller is Audio Solutions at Mascot  . 

can you borrow from this place to check out ? deposit or whatever left as surety ofcourse.

1 hour ago, :) al said:

can you borrow from this place to check out ? deposit or whatever left as surety ofcourse.

Hi Al, 

logistically tricky  ky being in different states. 

Ive also " found" another one, sub $4k in price. 

:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

but would the x93se sound "better" than my existing cds2100 or mores case of different. 

Old burr-brown  dacs versus newer  ESS DAC - although dacs aren't everything of course , implementation 

How your CDS2100 would stack up against an X03se in the SQ stakes I wouldn't have a clue and I never comment on equipment I have never heard unlike some.....:wacko:

That said the X03se is probably the best Red player i personally have heard and now lived with and its here where the importance lies, for me i can listen to the player for hours on end with no listening fatigue what so ever.I'm not into the "Ooo i think this has better treble/bass/mids" and associated palaver instead its the enjoyment of the disc or record that captures me and here the X03se delivers.....in spades.

Old tech or not its an outstanding Red book spinner and for me that's all that matters ...and its a keeper too....

Tase.

Just a footnote a bought mine second hand for less than 4k......but after owning one I would not complain about the price if you can get this down then all well and good...for you anyway...:)

....and its a "Boogie" sounding spinner...:thumb:

Edited by Tasebass

31 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

How your CDS2100 would stack up against an X03se in the SQ stakes I wouldn't have a clue and I never comment on equipment I have never heard unlike some.....:wacko:

That said the X03se is probably the best Red player i personally have heard and now lived with and its here where the importance lies, for me i can listen to the player for hours on end with no listening fatigue what so ever.I'm not into the "Ooo i think this has better treble/bass/mids" and associated palaver instead its the enjoyment of the disc or record that captures me and here the X03se delivers.....in spades.

Old tech or not its an outstanding Red book spinner and for me that's all that matters ...and its a keeper too....

Tase.

Just a footnote a bought mine second hand for less than 4k......but after owning one I would not complain about the price if you can get this down then all well and good...for you anyway...:)

....and its a "Boogie" sounding spinner...:thumb:

Hi Tony, 

thanks for your response, most appreciated and honest too. 

Do do you play SACD as well ? 

Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Hi Tony, 

thanks for your response, most appreciated and honest too. 

Do do you play SACD as well ? 

Dave 

No Dave. I have a few hundred CD's that all She plays though I might dip my toe in there one day...

I cant be arsed with Streaming...

Tase.

• Like 1

Likewise, I have thought about using the cds2100  with its USB and toslink inputs to try out with a laptop (USB) and my node streamer (toslink), but ultimately cds including SACD are my main source with vinyl coming second - so I guess ultimately I'm trying to get the best possible cd spinner without paying $5k plus prices 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

, but ultimately cds including SACD are my main source with vinyl coming second 

Ha...I'm the other way around....:P

which should tell you even more how much i appreciate the X03se..

Tase

• Like 1