FS: Elektra Valve Pre Amplifier

Item: Elektra Valve Pre Amplifier
Price: $2700.00 (Plus Shipping)
Item Condition: Like new (1 year old, 15 hours use)
Reason for selling: Cashflow
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:
It's the latest version and is an amazing product, beating other products that cost many times more, it also has home theatre bypass.  

Pictures:

20170428_204925.jpg

20170428_204943.jpg

20170428_204930.jpg

Edited by MouldyCrumpet
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, hotJ said:

tube rolling?

Those that have tried have ended up back with the factory ones, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

34 minutes ago, powerav said:

If it is like their so called "up-gradable" multi channel amps then you have to send back to manufacturer, crazy.

Not crazy, anybody that opens up an electrical product, other than an authorised technician, will void a warranty. Arthur doesn't need technicians as he builds and designs them, and they rarely fail. I've had new tubes put in my pre but it is the previous model and several years old. It could not afford a new one so bought used.

What type tubes does this preamp use exactly and what tubes are supplied with it?

27 minutes ago, blybo said:

Those that have tried have ended up back with the factory ones, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Not crazy, anybody that opens up an electrical product, other than an authorised technician, will void a warranty. Arthur doesn't need technicians as he builds and designs them, and they rarely fail. I've had new tubes put in my pre but it is the previous model and several years old. It could not afford a new one so bought used.

I wonder why "those that have tried have ended up back with factory ones"?

What tubes does this preamp use specifically?   I have never heard a tube preamp whose performance has not improved using premium tubes so this must be supplied with excellent tubes to start with I assume?

• Like 2

Just now, Aperalim said:

What type tubes does this preamp use exactly and what tubes are supplied with it?

What tubes does this preamp use specifically?   I have never heard a tube preamp whose performance has not improved using premium tubes so this must be supplied with excellent tubes to start with I assume?

Ask our glorious leader @Marc. I believe he tried. Can't remember the type but mine cost around $200 to replace. I just wanted more of the same.

3 minutes ago, blybo said:

Ask our glorious leader @Marc. I believe he tried. Can't remember the type but mine cost around $200 to replace. I just wanted more of the same.

Thanks Neil,

You mean $200 per tube or $200 all up for all tubes?

• Administrator

I can't remember what is standard but I tried all sorts of weird and wonderful. As mentioned in another thread I ended up right back where I started.
As for not being improved upon factory - that's because these are not mass produced, and Arthur apart from having great ears, cares for nothing more than the best sound he can get from his products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

I can't remember what is standard but I tried all sorts of weird and wonderful. As mentioned in another thread I ended up right back where I started.
As for not being improved upon factory - that's because these are not mass produced, and Arthur apart from having great ears, cares for nothing more than the best sound he can get from his products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektro harmonix 6922 if I remember. my arc phono pre uses the same brand as arc does on all their product and have for decades... they arent super expensive valves either. jay car used to sell them at one stage :D saw them on the shelf behind the front counter  hehe

given a pre amp, I doubt will ever need to replace em either. unless failed or something. which is possible....

why does he put a warning on the back probably to cover off on those who open it up not understanding they can electrocute themselves ! and that there is nothing in there for your average folk to be playing around with. its not unusual to have warnings to not open up on stuff with 230V power supplies inside...

On 5/24/2017 at 5:32 PM, Aperalim said:

Beautiful sounding pre. Yes as others have said, stick with the original tubes.:)

Updated link, inserted the wrong one...ops..

Edited by Sirmorebeer
Inserted incorrect link. Updated now.

hi

does anyone have any comments about this unit as a phono stage. i am wondering about its dynamics , presence etc and am assuming it is configured for MM. i am not getting reply from the seller so am putting it out to the community

thanks

3 hours ago, :) al said:

why does he put a warning on the back probably to cover off on those who open it up not understanding they can electrocute themselves ! and that there is nothing in there for your average folk to be playing around with. its not unusual to have warnings to not open up on stuff with 230V power supplies inside...

It is an obligatory urge for any self proclaimed audiophile to take a peek of the internals, what components used, how's the circuit designed and layed out, the build quality... pretty much like a naked opposite sex.

1 minute ago, hotJ said:

It is an obligatory urge for any self proclaimed audiophile to take a peek of the internals, what components used, how's the circuit designed and layed out, the build quality... pretty much like a naked opposite sex.

oh yeah sure we have a whole sub forum just for that. however he obviously feels obliged to atleast warn the unwary... of which there more than likely might be some who dont quite understand the risk involved or what they are actually doing. 

16 minutes ago, :) al said:

oh yeah sure we have a whole sub forum just for that. however he obviously feels obliged to atleast warn the unwary... of which there more than likely might be some who dont quite understand the risk involved or what they are actually doing. 

Very standard for equipment to have that warning on the covers.  It's to prevent idiots killing themselves.  You can't  hear, smell or see 240V mains present.

• Like 2

• Administrator

You can hear it and smell it when it's too late though. Luckily, I live to tell the tale.

- yes I was one of those uneducated fools whose fingers were where they shouldn't have been.

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

You can hear it and smell it when it's too late though. Luckily, I live to tell the tale.

- yes I was one of those uneducated fools whose fingers were where they shouldn't have been.

telecine's avatar is my earliest childhood memory :D so I started early hehe

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marc said:

Dont worry, 

even a educated idiot like me cope it and have been where you've been.  I recently replaced a faulty PSU on a 3phase machine.  Even thought the 240v 3 phase  was physically disconnected I coped it because a capacitor in the PSU wasn't discharged due to it being faulty...  next time I know better when I see high voltage caps in SMPSU....

2 hours ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Yes as others have said, stick with the original tubes.:)

Um, there's a big difference between swapping compatible tubes vs incompatible tubes. 12AT7s have different operating parameters to 6922s, you cannot really substitute them. However that does not mean you cannot swap different 6922s or other compatible tube types.