DC input offsets and Direct Coupled Line level inputs.

G'day all, a technical question for anyone familiar with the present range of Cambridge Audio integrated amplifiers and whether the line level inputs are DC coupled without capacitors.  For a while I've noticed my CA amp in here apparently going into intermittent shut down and the muting (protection) relay operating for no apparent reason.  

I have one of my DIY AM detector boards plugged in to one of the 'line' level inputs and I've realised that there is a small DC offset present on the output, and I wonder if this might be causing the intermittent amplifier shutdown if the CA line level inputs are direct coupled without DC blocking capacitors.  I am now more suspicious of this possibility as I am presently using another AM detector that does include an output blocking capacitor, and so far this strange shut down fault hasn't appeared, so I am wondering about this possibility.  Any thoughts or comments?  Regards, Felix. 

If the problem only occurs with one particular source (the DC coupled AM detector) then you are probably correct about your your reasonable assumption.

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

Felix, just measure the DC offset at the amplifier output. Any offset will cause DC to flow in the speakers and cause excessive amplifier power dissipation, not to mention the heating and possible destruction of your woofer voive coils.

G'day all, yes I've just done that and there is a solid 9 Volts DC offset on the detector output, and higher than I thought it was.  So I've just soldered in an output capacitor so I'll see if the fault recurs with this detector now.  Interesting.  Regards, Felix. 

On 23/05/2017 at 5:44 PM, catman said:

G'day all, yes I've just done that and there is a solid 9 Volts DC offset on the detector output, and higher than I thought it was.  So I've just soldered in an output capacitor so I'll see if the fault recurs with this detector now.  Interesting.  Regards, Felix. 

9000mV - WOW!!  :(  AIUI, offsets should be < 10mV - certainly no more than 20mV.

Andy

G'day all, well the output capacitors seem to have completely solved the problem, no more amplifier shutdown, and I could be imagining it but things also seem to be sounding better now.  Is that possible?  Regards, Felix.