Generic power boards

Guest m_james

Guest m_james

Is there a consensus as to whether these are good/bad in terms of audio use? I've got so many things plugged in that I've run out of wall outlets to use. I know there are fancy filter powerboards like Isotek and such but I don't want to shell out that kind of cash if I don't need to.

I wouldn't bother the only thing I have is a couple of surge protectors, won't protect from a lightning strike but I've had a few appliances control boards get frazzled by surges in the past hence the surge protectors if you don't want to pay the outrageous prices for these exotic power boards then don't power in Australia is pretty clean power filtering is a waste of money just my opinion though.

If you are worried about interference, you could always build yourself a Silk Filter.

Less than $20 in parts.

I would grab one of those 19" rack mount power boards because a lot of them are made of metal, replace the cord with a double shielded power cable and fit the Silk inside.

Search for it or go to Lampizator's website.

3 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Like everything else you'll have to try the exotics for yourself to decide on "worth".

I have an Isotek that made a significant difference to my system.

Greg

Agree, have Thor ps10 the latest version would not dream of using my equipment without it. Control of voltage fluctuations and yes, filtering are noticeable.

if $1899 price tag is abit steep, then a Thor a12bf power board 8 outlets   (rrp$299) that I use in another system that I set up for my parents is very good investment. 

Try, decide for yourself, lots of opinions the one that matters is yours 

Neo

On 5/23/2017 at 0:59 AM, rockeater said:

If you are worried about interference, you could always build yourself a Silk Filter.

Less than $20 in parts.

I would grab one of those 19" rack mount power boards because a lot of them are made of metal, replace the cord with a double shielded power cable and fit the Silk inside.

Search for it or go to Lampizator's website.

Hi @rockeater- is this the type of board you mean?

This Jackson 6 Outlet Rackmount Powerboard (AUD 79.00) is perfect for adding power to your racks. It easily mounts on all standard 19" rack cabinets and features a removable 1.8 m lead.
  • The powerboard has 6 surge protected outlets.
  • It will suit standard size 19" cabinets.
  • It features a removable 1.8 mm lead which lets you fit and access the powerboard easily.
  • This powerboard is black.
  • Surge protection only(my comment)
  • Details from Officeworks
  • Product Dimensions (mm)

50W x 25D x 500H mm

Product Type

Surge suppressor

Product Weight (kg)

1.1 kg

Surge Suppression

Surge protected

Switched No

Connections

Left Connector Type

Australian Mains (3 pin 240V AC)

Right Connector Type

Australian Mains (3 pin 240V AC)

Manufacturer

Country of Manufacture

China

Part Number

RAC0600

Ports

Number of Power Ports

Power

Max Electric Current (amps)

10 A

Voltage Provided

Voltage Required (V)

AC 240 V

Yes, something like that.

Just make sure it is made of metal (gives you shielding) and does not have too many outlets because then there will be no space for the filter.

The surge protection is usually just MOV of which there are some in the Silk anyway.

Price wise, it seems very expensive @ $70.

I would grab a small s/h rack (say 6 to 12 R.U.) that has a power board in it. From gumtree for $20

Good luck.

P.S. If you are not technical, ask someone who is to check it over before use.

Edited by rockeater
spelling

On 22/05/2017 at 10:20 PM, m_james said:

Is there a consensus as to whether these are good/bad in terms of audio use? I've got so many things plugged in that I've run out of wall outlets to use. I know there are fancy filter powerboards like Isotek and such but I don't want to shell out that kind of cash if I don't need to.

am just running some bunnings bought strip boards....

I've just been through all this again. I had pretty cheap multi-boards with everything plugged into them. Replaced this with an IsoTek Titan multi-board & instantly the tv had blacker blacks more pop, all the usual bullshit that is actually visually evident instantly. The bass was better with more definition from the server as well. If you don't believe this, try plugging your system into a multi-board with the fridge & a fan included in the board. If you need more sockets daisy chain another. Try that for a week & I'll bet you get antsy about your system.

Isolate emi/rfi & coupled with a dc blocker in a multi-board or something similar is actually science at work, not a crock of shite like some will make out. It also makes one hell of a difference if your system is up to the challenge of voicing it.

Thank me later, but clean power from the wall on the same circuit as everything else in the hood????

• 2 weeks later...
On ?22?/?05?/?2017 at 10:20 PM, m_james said:

Is there a consensus as to whether these are good/bad in terms of audio use?

Not sure about a surge protected power board affecting audio output in any way... but what one should be looking for is a low clamping voltage, fast response time, high joules rating and boards that have separate on/off switches for each outlet.

If clamping voltage and response time is not listed and low, I don't buy them.

A clamping voltage of 750V for e.g. is pretty useless and likely not to protect anything, whereas a clamping voltage of 350V is much better.

Also, it's good to have one that as an indicator light confirming the MOV is still working... they die after while.

I have found Crest boards to be quote good, but not all of them... YMMV.

JSmith :ninja: