Duntech Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I lusted after these in the 90's. Never could afford the mansion to put them in. How much juice do you need to drive them?

All of it. I have a client with Sovereigns and an ME1400. They sound fabulous. When I recently serviced his ME1400, I loaned him an ME850. Even the ME850 struggled with the Sovereigns. They require a big, powerful, high current, VERY low output impedance amplifier to run properly. Valve amps need not apply. A big Krell, Gryphon, ME, or Levinson should do the trick.

• Like 1

Valve amps need not apply. A big Krell, Gryphon, ME, or Levinson should do the trick.

Have to disagree.... i was running Krell KMA 160,s with the Sovereign,s ...  i prefer the Manley 250,s in all aspects...

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

The first high end system I heard was Soverigns with all top end Krell electronics at Len Wallis over 20 years ago and I rember being very impressed.went on to purchase krell CD player and smaller duntechs. Also saw magazine article on Bob Hawk at about the same time and in the articles photo in the back ground was the big Duntechs.

Main Dynaudio bass drivers just refoamed.....thanks to Attila Tanka..

You could charge by the hour for listening sessions in front of those - I'd do a tourist trip to Victoria just to hear them :-)

I remember listening to both back in the day, at LWA.

I preferred the Sovereign but the sales guys told me that the CP produced a more consistently better sound in a typical living room.  

Probably the most remarkable Sovereign setups I've ever seen was in a 25th floor apartment, in Kent St Sydney. 

Thats why i chose the CP over the Sovs in my room.

If my room was much larger would love a pair of sovs.

Edited by kab

That looks outstanding...the room, the speakers, the setup, it must be heaven in there. 

I just checked out the website - man, I think I am in love with the look of the DSM-15. Is that right - - $12k ?? 

Edited by Zsonic

Wooferocau,

Got to agree 100% with Zaph on this one!!!!

Until you stick around 5KVA up their backsides you haven't REALLY heard Sovereigns!!! ;)

My mate used to run his with an ME 1400 after coming up woefully short using an 850!!!!!

WAF was the only reason he sold 'em

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

Wooferocau,

Got to agree %100 with Zaph on this one!!!!

Until you stick around 5KVA up their backsides you haven't REALLY heard Sovereigns!!! ;)

Absolutely yes.  

The Sovereigns are not musical they are dead accurate, which is why they are so good and so highly regarded.   

Wooferocau,

Got to agree 100% with Zaph on this one!!!!

My mate used to run his with an ME 1400 after coming up woefully short using an 850!!!!!

WAF was the only reason he sold 'em

WAF?.....Sovereigns first,wife a distant second!.

Had an ME1400 once,sold it due to temporary insanity.....NOT WAF! :P

Edited by kab

The Duntechs have a specific treble sound which is probably not going to appeal to everyone.The stepped baffle arrangement with the felt surrounds gives a very precise focus to imaging but at the cost of the loss of some air and shimmer.

This is arguably just more accurate but if you value that air,decay,shimmery sort of treble then it is something that you are probably going to miss with the Duntech type baffle arrangement.

I preferred my Sonique Encores with the felt surrounds which surrounded the tweeters and dome midranges removed.They were attached with velcro to allow for this.

Image focus was slightly compromised but they sounded more open,airy and natural that way.Image height,which is something I value,was better without the felt surrounds.

Edited by THOMO

It is interesting the sound the Duntech,s have...... much different to alot of speakers i have heard, and i sound i now MUCH prefer.

I actually just had a musician friend who does alot of his own mastering and recording come around last weekend to have a listen, he fell in love with the Sovereign,s . His impression was that they are very neutral and accurate ...and VERY revealing.

He listened to a piece ( solo pianist) that he has heard hundreds of times before ......about 30 sec,s in he had a worried look upon his face. I thought for a moment there was something amiss with my system, but what he heard was a noise to which he described was the pianist,s foot pedal dampening the strings...... he said he had never heard that before on any other speaker he had listened to....he was amazed at how revealing the Sovereigns were on many other pieces he played.

The more i listen to the Sovereigns the more and more impressed i am with these OLD classics. It also makes me wonder just how alot of modern high end speakers can justify the sometimes very high pricing!!.

• Like 2

It is interesting the sound the Duntech,s have...... much different to alot of speakers i have heard, and i sound i now MUCH prefer.

I actually just had a musician friend who does alot of his own mastering and recording come around last weekend to have a listen, he fell in love with the Sovereign,s . His impression was that they are very neutral and accurate ...and VERY revealing.

He listened to a piece ( solo pianist) that he has heard hundreds of times before ......about 30 sec,s in he had a worried look upon his face. I thought for a moment there was something amiss with my system, but what he heard was a noise to which he described was the pianist,s foot pedal dampening the strings...... he said he had never heard that before on any other speaker he had listened to....he was amazed at how revealing the Sovereigns were on many other pieces he played.

The more i listen to the Sovereigns the more and more impressed i am with these OLD classics. It also makes me wonder just how alot of modern high end speakers can justify the sometimes very high pricing!!.

No doubt about it, the Sovereigns are a fabulous speaker system. However, to claim that modern speakers cannot justify their high prices is disingenuous. To build and sell Sovereigns today would necessitate a price tag in excess of $50k I would estimate. And, make no mistake: John Dunlavy was a very clever guy. The advances he brought about in speaker design have been adopted by many other designers since. 

• Like 1

I think Kiat does still make them - not as expensive as $50k but obviously all the investment in design work etc was done back in the day - like all high end products in whatever category eg - cars - watches -etc you will pay a premium for successful innovation - supply and demand - do we want it any other way :-)