Nakamichi CA-610 Pre Amplifier.

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience with this unit ?

It will be replacing a basic Rotel RC-850 possibly from the same era, if I choose to go ahead. Local seller asking $600.00 (Pristine Cond) - would this be considered to much ? Would there be better Pre amps for less money ? Or possibly an investment ?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Picture copied from Google.

A979E455-8B4C-45AF-9429-2AB656CE01AE-10655-0000062E21C9E41D.jpeg

From memory this unit can be hooked up to 3 different power amps and switched as required 

I think that it also has 2 phono stages and a stylus calibration system 

Overall build is great as all nakamichi systems of that era 

If you think that is overkill for your needs then back away 

I use a Nakamichi CA5 II in my system 

Edited by Full Range

Yes, I used to lust after the System One. I had a 600 cassette deck in the late 70's, great piece of kit. A brushed silver earlier version of the black cassette deck in the rack (just above the power amp).

Edited by mjs
typos
  • Like 1

Thanks for you thoughts & insight @Full Range & @aasza

I agree, the build quality of this old Nak stuff was second to none - especially the Stasis design separates - But I believe this is earlier Nakamichi From the limited info on the net' it certainly does have plenty of Features.

but I am unsure if it is a fair price $600.00 for a Pre amp of this vintage ?

27 minutes ago, KrashDekki said:

I am unsure if it is a fair price $600.00 for a Pre amp of this vintage ?

Put but this way 

I would pay that price for a clean and working example 

Not sure how much this unit cost when new ( you need to research ) but my CA5II was about 6K or was that 4K from the research I did 

Edited by Full Range

1 minute ago, KrashDekki said:

From what I could read it was a $5k piece Brand New in the 80's,

Advice noted - I'll keep researching.

I am just going from very vague recollections, but I would be staggered if the pre-amp was $5k at the time, might be wrong

16 minutes ago, mjs said:

I am just going from very vague recollections, but I would be staggered if the pre-amp was $5k at the time, might be wrong

I think you are right, perhaps the Pass design Pre amps were as high as $5k.

This has piqued my interest, so have done a bit of surfing, looks like $600 for the pre-amp might be a little optimistic, the original system was about $US4k, consisting of 600 deck, 610 pre, 620 power, 630 tuner, although a 2 x 620 power amp version was more expensive. That's about what I remember. There was one on sna in 2014, although with some issues.

Great history and certainly represented a period when Nakamichi was doing innovative things

Agreed @mjs, Nakamichi certainly was formidable for that period - Pity they sold the name off to what looks like the producer of underwhelming junk.

Thanks for your link. I too thought $600.00 was on the steep side - but their was no option of negotiation. So it's take it or leave it

(Pending the Kind knowledge and advice from the SNA community)

Guest jakeyb77

I sold my Nakamichi 610 a little while back. It was mint and I think $300 or so was all it got. They are amazing units. And here is the receipt from 1977. Also purchased with the NS-1000ms which are the ones I'm currently working on. The whole set was $1850. The pre I think was around $600. The receipt for the tape deck is $600. I have the mint manuals for the tape deck and pre of anyone would like to make me an offer. 

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

Thanks for chiming in @Jakeyb77

No matter how hard I was going to look I definitely wouldn't have found that out, Original receipts and all wow !

Is it something you regret selling ? Strange question, I know - but I usually sell something when it's good, only to have to spend even more time to find a good example of the piece just sold to...  'fill the empty hole inside'..

Guest jakeyb77
56 minutes ago, KrashDekki said:

Thanks for chiming in @Jakeyb77

No matter how hard I was going to look I definitely wouldn't have found that out, Original receipts and all wow !

Is it something you regret selling ? Strange question, I know - but I usually sell something when it's good, only to have to spend even more time to find a good example of the piece just sold to...  'fill the empty hole inside'..

I dint regret selling it. It was a family unit and it's a good piece of kit. I think it's more functional if you use the ability to mix many sources etc of that's your thing. It's old now. It's at risk of dying. But I don't have attachment so my view may be skewed. You will see them regularly for $300. So if you like them then get one but I wouldn't stretch too far on price. 

I still have the Nakamichi 610, 620 and 600 cassette deck. Still all running through Yamaha ns1000. Everyone love their looks. Still amazing after all these years.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Guest Hensa

The Nak 610 pre was my first ever separate preamp bought 2nd hand from Pymble HiFi back in the late 80's. Loved the looks and it sounded very good. Moved it on when I went to an integrated but recently grabbed one from the SNA classifieds for $200. Needs one meter lamp replaced but otherwise cleaned up nicely and sounds excellent.

Now doing duty in an ornamental capacity and was purchased more for sentiment than for a planned use.

834543d72c51366196365510d7de0a40.jpg

0e48926b2934a69fd00edcf16a0dc38d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk