Stanton 881S stylus suggestions

Ive just gone and bought one of these on the strength of "nobody ever says anything bad about them" but its likely a replacement stylus will be on the cards. There are a few aftermarket ones available it seems so I'd like some ideas on which would be best. Or if waiting for a NOS unit is preferable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

NOS is preferable.

Did you check stylus.co.nz ?

They might have some original Stanton stylus.

If Jico makes an aftermarket stylus it would be better than EVG.

But I really have no experience with Stanton cartridges. I always wanted to hear one but haven't had the chance.

I was given a 881S and bought a new stylus of eBay for $30 I think. Has the brush on the end but I removed it straight away. Definitely get a new stylus and enjoy a genuine top sounding classic cart.

Both myself and another keen analogue mate love the sound. That and a new Garrott K2 are fab. sounding cartridges. The K2 was only about $300. 

8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

This is the one I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-ELLIPTICAL-DIAMOND-STYLUS-FOR-STANTON-881S-881E-CARTRIDGE-/350396640572

I had it posted to a friend in the US who then posited it to me.

That model is for the Pickering 

Altough they are the same cart some styling differences are obvious

P.S I use the brush as it works well to pre clean the record grooves  

I bought an 881s after a recommendation from good ol Vince from once analog.....
I preferred it to the 2M bronze i had at the time and bought a Nos one from ebay for not alot of money.
It took a good 40 hours to break in and sounded fast and punchy but gracefully detailed. I've no experience with after market stylus but remember the cart has a stereohedron tip on it.
I too removed the brush and remember the only draw back i could find was it sat about 1.5mm above the record at a TW of 0.7g. You will find electronic scales a help when setting this one up.
I'm using a different cart at the minute but may give it a spin again tomorrow....

Mine should arrive late this week. Stylus maaaaay be ok but I'm assuming not, plus I dont have the gear nor expertise to properly check the stereohedron tip. In the absence of a NOS unit I giess the Jico neoSAS may be the next best bet?

• Like 1