A New Low in Collecting.

This has to be a new low in opportunistic exploitation of vulnerable fanboys. One of my few unfulffilled music cravings is the DCC issue of Bob Seger " NIGHT MOVES". I check eBay occassionally to gasp  at the prices it commands.

But this takes the cake.

It is a piece of cardboard with the relevant words. For $40 !!!!!!!

I view it as another subtle hint that the world has lost its bearings.

Billy.

image.png

• Like 3

Actually, the world lost its bearing quite a long time ago.

I remember once reading an article about scams, which mentioned a mail order ad that appeared in an American magazine in the 60s. Apparently it said something like this: "Hurry, this is your last chance to send $10. Offer ends soon."

This has to be a new low in opportunistic exploitation of vulnerable fanboys. One of my few unfulffilled music cravings is the DCC issue of Bob Seger " NIGHT MOVES". I check eBay occassionally to gasp  at the prices it commands.
But this takes the cake.
I view it as another subtle hint that the world has lost its bearings.
Billy.

image.thumb.png.73c7cc2657771f1e0c14632d1ac30913.png

Lost my virginity to that album - - -
Hmmm should mount on the wall !
The album I mean, not her Knickers . [emoji13]

Count on the odd fool with money huh?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There are sellers who harvest articles and posters, even ads! from old music mags and sell them on ebay at ridiculous prices. Been going on for years. If they had a real interest in the hobby then they would scan and share freely.

Edit: the world is full of opportunists, always been so and always will. Nothing new Dave.

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave O))) said:

There are sellers who harvest articles and posters, even ads! from old music mags and sell them on ebay at ridiculous prices. Been going on for years. If they had a real interest in the hobby then they would scan and share freely.

Edit: the world is full of opportunists, always been so and always will. Nothing new Dave.

What a bizarre post. What on earth is wrong with people cutting adverts out of old magazines and trying to sell them to other people who want to mount them as posters? Why should anyone do it gratis? Why should anyone scan something for nothing to give away because "they had a real interest in the hobby" ? If the seller doesn't want to pay then they don't. Consumerism at its most basic.

What a bizarre post. What on earth is wrong with people cutting adverts out of old magazines and trying to sell them to other people who want to mount them as posters? Why should anyone do it gratis? Why should anyone scan something for nothing to give away because "they had a real interest in the hobby" ? If the seller doesn't want to pay then they don't. Consumerism at its most basic.

Do you save all of your rude replies for me or did you get up off the wrong side of the bed this morning?
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Zen Mister said:

But this takes the cake.

People buy and sell OBIs, which are nothing more than a piece of cardboard with the relevant words, for more than that. I don't see the fascination of either (OBI or divider cards) but some people want 'em, I guess.

--Geoff 

1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

Do you save all of your rude replies for me or did you get up off the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Where is the rudeness? I thought yours was a bizarre post. Why should someone provide something free if they want to make a bit of money? I fail to see anything wrong with that practice.

22 hours ago, emesbee said:

Actually, the world lost its bearing quite a long time ago.

I remember once reading an article about scams, which mentioned a mail order ad that appeared in an American magazine in the 60s. Apparently it said something like this: "Hurry, this is your last chance to send $10. Offer ends soon."

Sounds like something that National Lampoon would do. In fact, one of their most famous magazine covers involved a cute dog, with a handgun pointed at the dog's head. The headline read:

'Buy this magazine or the dog gets it'

It was, by a considerable margin, the highest circulation issue in their history.

[EDIT] Oops, I got the headline wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon_(magazine)

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, evil c said:

Lost my virginity to that album - - -
Hmmm should mount on the wall !
The album I mean, not her Knickers . emoji13.png

Count on the odd fool with money huh?

I didn't think records counted?

But you vinyl types are a bit different.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, joz said:

It makes sense though, the spindle hole is very small...

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

We've all been "screwed " by paying inflated prices - but I really did lose it .
I was 25 l think ! [emoji53]

59 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Where is the rudeness? I thought yours was a bizarre post. Why should someone provide something free if they want to make a bit of money? I fail to see anything wrong with that practice.

My post was an attempt to add to the conversation, but you single it out for ridicule. Nothing you have said adds to this conversation, it only detracts. I have observed you to be an habitual detractor. Most unpleasant.

11 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

My post was an attempt to add to the conversation, but you single it out for ridicule. Nothing you have said adds to this conversation, it only detracts. I have observed you to be an habitual detractor. Most unpleasant.

I think you're the one who should go back to bed....

6 hours ago, evil c said:

We've all been "screwed " by paying inflated prices - but I really did lose it .
I was 25 l think ! emoji53.png

Clive I suppose we all gotta start somewhere. 

:love

• Like 1

Back seat of XY falcon at the drive-in with a Mt Waverley High schoolgurly(I was Syndal Tech boy(awful awful farking school)). This was the year Gough got in(err, so did I) and 3XY was playing at interval but the driver and the front seat passenger were arguing  about putting on 3AK Where No Wrinklies Fly and we asked em to take it outside so they did and sat on their mates panel van's tailgate and continued.

The point of this gormless reminisce?  No point really, just saw Evil's post and the poor bugger having to endure Seger:P but at least it was worth it apparently.  

But I do have a flyer that features Qantus and 3AK with the "Where No Wrinklies Fly", gotta be worth ...umm, $500 or  double?

Also have a mediocre pressing of Newcastle's The Marshall Brothers Band. Rare as hens teeth. mbb.jpg.7da408b18cf824a5a03ea76b1076cc4f.jpg

I'll sell the insert for $200.

I'm in the "if there's someone wants to buy this..." camp.

• Like 2

Back seat of XY falcon at the drive-in with a Mt Waverley High schoolgurly(I was Syndal Tech boy(awful awful farking school)). This was the year Gough got in(err, so did I) and 3XY was playing at interval but the driver and the front seat passenger were arguing  about putting on 3AK Where No Wrinklies Fly and we asked em to take it outside so they did and sat on their mates panel van's tailgate and continued.

The point of this gormless reminisce?  No point really, just saw Evil's post and the poor bugger having to endure Seger[emoji14] but at least it was worth it apparently.  

I love Bob Seger!
Still play that album - transports me back to carefree times, before people like you tarnished my precious memories! ! [emoji22]

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, evil c said:

I love Bob Seger!
Still play that album - transports me back to carefree times, before people like you tarnished my precious memories! ! emoji22.png

Seger gives me good memories of when I worked in a bar in the Red light District in Amsterdam.

Night Moves reminds me of my wife back in the day when we hitched around Europe. (Girlfriend then). Great times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luc said:

The point of this gormless reminisce?  No point really, just saw Evil's post and the poor bugger having to endure Seger:P but at least it was worth it apparently.  

But I do have a flyer that features Qantus and 3AK with the "Where No Wrinklies Fly", gotta be worth ...umm, $500 or  double?

Also have a mediocre pressing of Newcastle's The Marshall Brothers Band. Rare as hens teeth. mbb.jpg.7da408b18cf824a5a03ea76b1076cc4f.jpg

I'll sell the insert for $200.

I'm in the "if there's someone wants to buy this..." camp.

If you have a real interest in the hobby then you would scan and share freely. :P

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1