Hi all

Brand new here, first post.

I have a Rega Brio-R Integrated Amp hooked up to my Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable and I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Wireless headphones.

My question - Is there anyway I can get the sound from my amp to my headphones using a Bluetooth transmitter.  I have a MPOW Streambot 2-in-1 I use on other devices and was wondering if I could use this and if so, how do you connect it to the amp?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kind regards

Adam

Guest thathifiguy

Adam, in theory, you could connect from the rec out to some kind of Bluetooth transmitter. 

From what I've read in the manual though, it would seem that the Rec Out is a fixed output (full gain, uneffected by the Rega's volume control), meaning either the transmitter or headphones would need a volume control lest you blow your ears off.

5 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Adam, in theory, you could connect from the rec out to some kind of Bluetooth transmitter. 

From what I've read in the manual though, it would seem that the Rec Out is a fixed output (full gain, uneffected by the Rega's volume control), meaning either the transmitter or headphones would need a volume control lest you blow your ears off.

Or he could

Plug the MPOW into the headphone socket on the front of the Rega and set the MPOW to TX  (He would need a 3.5mm - 6.3mm Adaptor)

Like such https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ultrasone-adapter-snap-on-female-3-5mm-to-male-6-3mm

Then he could still use the Rega's volume control

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
1 minute ago, aasza said:

Or he could

Plug the MPOW into the headphone socket on the front of the Rega and set the MPOW to TX  (He would need a 3.5mm - 6.3mm Adaptor)

Like such https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ultrasone-adapter-snap-on-female-3-5mm-to-male-6-3mm

Then he could still use the Rega's volume control

Didn't even noticed the headphone output!

2 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Didn't even noticed the headphone output!

New addition to the Brio-R over the previous Brio :)

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redalfalfa said:

Thanks aasza, but the headphone jack on the front of the Rega Brio-R you're referring to is the 2017 model.  My model which is the previous model doesn't have a headphone jack.

Ah hmm problem, well you could always use the record output but as hifiguy stated it bypasses volume control so it would be fixed gain which means unless the momentum's have a volume control you could get deafened.

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

You might need to look at something like a Yamaha WX-C50 (or along the lines) which has:

a. Analog In to connect from Rec Out

b. Volume control

c. Bluetooth Output

Seems like a task though.

Guest thathifiguy

1 minute ago, aasza said:

@thathifiguy

What if he used some in line attenuators on the record output before the RCA cable to reduce the gain

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/attenuators/

I think the biggest issue would be volume adjustment though.

Neither his BT transmitter or headphones have it, and an attenuator, while reducing the output would still leave him with fixed output, albeit at a less deafening level.

Thanks hifiguy, it's never easy mate. :)

I just checked the manual (https://en-au.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/5239/M2_OEBT_EN_A04.pdf) for my bluetooth headphones and they do have a volume control...phew! 

I shouldn't have any issues connecting my headphones to my MPOW via bluetooth, (question) so all I have to do now, is hook the MPOW to my amp via the Rec Out, is this correct?  If so, what sort of cable should I use from my amp to the MPOW?

Thanks again for everyone's help, with these speedy responses, you're like to hear a lot more from me, this stuff just doesn't sit in my head to easy.

Guest thathifiguy
3 minutes ago, Redalfalfa said:

Thanks hifiguy, it's never easy mate. :)

I just checked the manual (https://en-au.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/5239/M2_OEBT_EN_A04.pdf) for my bluetooth headphones and they do have a volume control...phew! 

I shouldn't have any issues connecting my headphones to my MPOW via bluetooth, (question) so all I have to do now, is hook the MPOW to my amp via the Rec Out, is this correct?  If so, what sort of cable should I use from my amp to the MPOW?

Thanks again for everyone's help, with these speedy responses, you're like to hear a lot more from me, this stuff just doesn't sit in my head to easy.

Looking at the BT transmitter, it looks to be a 3.5mm socket, correct? If that is the case, you would need a 2 RCA Male to 3.5mm Female adapter.

You may still need to look at those attenuators that @aasza mentioned too if the output signal is too hot.

Just now, thathifiguy said:

Looking at the BT transmitter, it looks to be a 3.5mm socket, correct? If that is the case, you would need a 2 RCA Male to 3.5mm Female adapter.

You may still need to look at those attenuators that @aasza mentioned too if the output signal is too hot.

Pretty sure the cable is removable so he could just substitute it for a 3.5 to rca cable

s-l160095ums.jpg

Like Such https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/belkin/belkin-essential-stereo-rca-to-3-5mm-audio-cable-2-0m/357294/

If that $13 cable from JB is all I need to fix this problem, you guys have been awesome, just need to understand whether I might need attenuators or not now, but even if I don't, I'd like to understand a bit more about what they do and how they connect.

Guest thathifiguy
2 minutes ago, aasza said:

@thathifiguy

The Record Output specs of the Brio-R are as follows

Record output level (with rated input levels) = 210mV.

Record output impedance = 470ohm

Not sure how that will react in relation to the input of the headphones/transmitter.

It will be trial and error. @Redalfalfa  if the sound via the headphones isn't quite right, or you hear audible distortion, the attenuator should fix it. They would reducesthe output gain from the Rega into your BT transmitter. 

Try first, you may not need them.

Hi @Redalfalfa I'd be interested to know how you get on with this project. I looked at a set of momentums today and wondered the same thing. The staff in the store I went to looked at me as though I was some sort of alien when I asked them almost the exact same question. I see on Fleebay that there is all manner of bluetooth transmitter/receivers for under $20 so I guess it's not a huge investment to give it a whirl. Gotta get a set of HP's first though.

Cheers Matt.

Hi @Sceeta

I'm hoping its just the 2 RCA Male to 3.5mm Female adapter I require that @thathifiguy suggested.  I was in another forum also having a chat and ironically, someone with the handle thehifiguy suggested the exact some thing.

It's on order and on its way, so I haven't tested it yet, but will let you know when I do.

BTW - the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear Bluetooth Headphones are amazing!  I can throw my digital music on anywhere in the house and wander from room to room listening to the same tunes.  As for sound quality, I can't imagine it gets much better.  I've started listening to a lot of my old music because of how much better it sounds with them - its a new experience.

Yeah they sounded pretty good in the store. Just gave them a run with spotify. I have a set of PCX450 Senny's that I use when flying but thought wireless might be a good idea around home. My amp doesn't have any headphone jacks so this might be the way to go. Good luck with it and I'll certainly e keen to know how you get on. All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi@Redalfalfa , just an update. Picked up a set of momentum 2 over ear phones and they are fantastic. Very comfortable to wear for extended periods as well. I bought one of these on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162413114199?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to give it a try and it works but has very limited range and the sq isn't fantastic but it serves a purpose as my daughters room is right next to my listening room so I can at least listen without disturbing her. For the money it's OK but I certainly wouldn't rave about it.

Cheers Matt.