G'Day, so after being politely told that my current speakers were letting down my system I have begun the search for another pair.

I have a budget of around $5k for this so I should be able to get a reasonably good pair at this price point, on advice I have listened to some Aria 936's with my set up in a shop (Parasound P5 and A21 and an Oppo 103 which will be upgraded to the 205 at some stage) and was pretty impressed with the sound. Other speakers I have listened to but without my kit were some Aria 926's which were underwhelming for me and Aria 948's which I didn't mind either, but didn't really get a chance to push them. I wish I could get the 936's and 948's side by side but cant seem to find that here in Brissy. Has anybody had the chance to do this comparison?

Also have listened to B&W CM10's meh, CM8's which actually sounded better but still lacked the detail i'm looking for especially with vocals, 805's which sounded quite nice but I can't get my head around bookshelfs as mains...Dali Rubicon 8's which are out of my price range and didn't really do anything for me.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Focals however I just want to make sure I get a good range of speakers auditioned so after some suggestions, I may have to do a road trip down south if it comes to it...

Cheers

Jason

Jason,

Head to Trimira in Bowen Hills. Tristan has all of the above, or at least did about 6 months ago, in the one room running through a switch box.

I went to listen to some 906's but that was the one pair he didn't have. I just sat there for about 45min switching between Focal 926, 936, 948 and B&W CM8,9,10 and Diamond 805's. For me, the 948's were the winner of that group.

As James Brown would say "Get down!"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

Jason,

Head to Trimira in Bowen Hills. Tristan has all of the above, or at least did about 6 months ago, in the one room running through a switch box.

I went to listen to some 906's but that was the one pair he didn't have. I just sat there for about 45min switching between Focal 926, 936, 948 and B&W CM8,9,10 and Diamond 805's. For me, the 948's were the winner of that group.

As James Brown would say "Get down!"

Hey Dirk,

Yeah I was there yesterday and he did not have the 936's, he told me that they were just a bigger version the the 926's which I have heard and I think there was no comparison (to my ears)... I was listening through a Roksan CD/Integrated set up.

The 948's sounded good, nice natural bass but I'd like to hear side by side....how did you find the comparison?

Cheers

Jason

Edited by Gambit 1870

31 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@Gambit 1870  love your avatar!! Up the Irons.

My Focal 1038 Be's should be for sale for 7.5k soon. Over your budget but PM me if you like.

If I stretched to them I'd have no money left for the 205.....as tempting as your offer is

cheers

2 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

These are a bargain, in Brissy and will blow away any mentioned so far in looks and performance
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/122814-FS:-Sonus-Faber-Cremona

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

I think I was told by a HiFi shop guy that these wouldn't suit my musical tastes.....was also told something similar in regards to Vienna Acoustics. Would that be because they are too revealing?

Best thing to do would be to have a listen.

Both Viennas and Sonus Faber are very easy to listen to. Sure you will hear all the detail but not in a fatiguing way. The lower level B&W and Focals to me are pretty fatiguing. Focal Sopras are beautiful though.

Can't go wrong with Dynaudio either.

A lot of bookshelf speakers are very good and I think that for the same money many perform better than floorstanders

34 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Best thing to do would be to have a listen.

Both Viennas and Sonus Faber are very easy to listen to. Sure you will hear all the detail but not in a fatiguing way. The lower level B&W and Focals to me are pretty fatiguing. Focal Sopras are beautiful though.

Can't go wrong with Dynaudio either.

A lot of bookshelf speakers are very good and I think that for the same money many perform better than floorstanders

Don't even think there is a retailer for VA's up here....I stand corrected..apparently living sound do them now

Edited by Gambit 1870

What's you current amp?

8 hours ago, Gambit 1870 said:

G'Day, so after being politely told that my current speakers were letting down my system I have begun the search for another pair.

I have a budget of around $5k for this so I should be able to get a reasonably good pair at this price point, on advice I have listened to some Aria 936's with my set up in a shop (Parasound P5 and A21 and an Oppo 103 which will be upgraded to the 205 at some stage) and was pretty impressed with the sound. Other speakers I have listened to but without my kit were some Aria 926's which were underwhelming for me and Aria 948's which I didn't mind either, but didn't really get a chance to push them. I wish I could get the 936's and 948's side by side but cant seem to find that here in Brissy. Has anybody had the chance to do this comparison?

Also have listened to B&W CM10's meh, CM8's which actually sounded better but still lacked the detail i'm looking for especially with vocals, 805's which sounded quite nice but I can't get my head around bookshelfs as mains...Dali Rubicon 8's which are out of my price range and didn't really do anything for me.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Focals however I just want to make sure I get a good range of speakers auditioned so after some suggestions, I may have to do a road trip down south if it comes to it...

Cheers

Jason

3 hours ago, Gambit 1870 said:

@darren69 That Aces High poster adorned my bedroom wall for years...saw them live last year and they still kick ass

Homer.....:thumb:

Mine too, along with Number of the Beast and The Trooper. They eventually fell apart around 1986.

At the 08 tour, I got another Aces High poster and it now decorates my shed.

11 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Mine too, along with Number of the Beast and The Trooper. They eventually fell apart around 1986.

At the 08 tour, I got another Aces High poster and it now decorates my shed.

Yeah I had number of the beast (my fav Irons's song) and 2 Minutes to midnight (best intro) as well

2MTM.jpg

• Like 1

Jason, as you know for our ears the 936 sounded better, they had excellent mid range and are far more detailed and precise than the 948 which was almost, for the want of a better term, boomy in comparison and lacked detail, with your Subs the 936 would have the detail and the bass and be cheaper than the 948's. But I still reckon you do need to back to back them to be able to truly compare and with your amps and if possible a 205 as the source given you are planning to replace the 103 with a 205 sooner or later.

I reckon on their own without the 936's to compare to the 948's would sound great and you may well prefer the 948 sound, but without back to backing you will never truly know.

As for VA's chances are in a month or so you can listen to those Baby Grands that Warweary linked to earlier in this thread teamed up with your old M6i and the 205.

You'll have to bring the beers though... :P

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

Am reading this discussion with interest, as I am going to be pursuing updating speakers also. Have Parasound P3/A23 combo. 

Soooo many good speakers between the 5-10k mark new, to which can be had cheaper 2nd hand. For interest sake there are some Dynaudio contour s3.4 Le available from a retailer in SA for a good price.  Obviously any of these speakers will be an improvement over my 22 year old Ricther Excaliburs ( well I'd like to think) Krix and Osborn are also worth considering. Like me, I like to crank up the volume occasionally.  My 2c

Matt

I have Osborn speakers - they are based on Focal drivers - so I am biased. Osborn speakers are good value for money. I know Darren69 1038 speakers well. When he finally had the right stuff feeding it he almost did not need his subs.

IMO - please consider Mike Lenehan's speakers too. He is in the Gold Coast. You should be able to pick up ML2 R or the MLT in your price range - used.

BUT

as other's have said - you have to listen to them preferably with your equipment.

Buy used- lot better value for money.

Most importantly - buy what you like and enjoy.