10 minutes ago, danrey said:

Disappointing its in a focus style cabinet and the finishes are not for me. Hope it sounds incredible.

I would agree with you on the style front. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

401.PNG

402.PNG

1 hour ago, Sirmorebeer said:

Special milestone from Dynaudio

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/special-forty/special-forty

@buddyev maybe you should aim higher....:D

I almost wish you hadn't posted this....

i like how it harks back to the 1.3se size.

im with danrey though, the cabinet shape could have been a specific design, they have clearly gone to a bit of effort with the drivers, new Esotar for example !

Given the use of what appears to be an existing cabinet, it's hard to know how they will price this, ie can it be above the new contour bookshelf ?? 

I would guess around $7600..optimistically I suspect.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I almost wish you hadn't posted this....

i like how it harks back to the 1.3se size.

im with danrey though, the cabinet shape could have been a specific design, they have clearly gone to a bit of effort with the drivers, new Esotar for example !

Given the use of what appears to be an existing cabinet, it's hard to know how they will price this, ie can it be above the new contour bookshelf ?? 

I would guess around $7600..optimistically I suspect.

Ha..Ha.. I almost "@" you Ray.  But, you've probably get the news somehow. I think they are going for a bit of a retro look yet incorporate brand new drivers and crossover. If it is any better than the 1.3se, it could be a goer.

@famoz can you do us a favour, do a review of us? Tell us how it compares with your 1.3se? :)

Edited by Sirmorebeer

There was a live stream video from Dynaudio at Munich on their Facebook page that talks about these. Pretty sure it's still up for everyone to see.

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Confirmed from local distributor the RRP is $4499 incl GST which is the exact same US price (once you add sales tax). Demo units should arrive next week and stock in 6 weeks. 

If anyone interested in listening to these, they are currently on demo at the Sydney HiFi show this weekend.

The finishes are indeed in the eye of the beholder but there's no denying that they are very high quality ones...my choice would be the grey birch...the finishes look very different (better) in real life.

As for the sound quality, they were playing in a very decent system (Aurender A10, Bryston Pre/Power) and sounded very very good indeed for the money.

I heard them at the show and was also very excited/impressed. Hard to draw any conclusions from a show but I will definitely audition these and compare to the new Contours. They could be my new speakers. 

Mind you maybe everything sounds great paying Trentemoller's Vamp...

The promo photos above are a bit washed out. I thought they looked better in the flesh. Brief listen at the show yesterday showed you can get a nice big sound out of them but I think you will need a decent bit of power to get them going. They had them way louder than anyone with normal hearing would have at home. It was a nice size room that would be comparable to smaller living rooms. Sounded pretty good to me.

4 hours ago, audio_file said:

I heard them at the show. They look great and sound good too.
I like the sound more than both my s1.4le and the new contour 20.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, how does the new contour 20 sound ? Is it a bigger sound than the 1.4 Le ?

Coincidentally, lifestylestore here in Sydney have an event Monday night in store and will be offering a pre order special on the Special 40 for those in attendance.

36 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Thanks for the info, how does the new contour 20 sound ? Is it a bigger sound than the 1.4 Le ?

Coincidentally, lifestylestore here in Sydney have an event Monday night in store and will be offering a pre order special on the Special 40 for those in attendance.

They sound flat, less life to them, but they are powerful and controlled.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:06 PM, Ray H said:

Doh! Won't be able to head down to Lifestyle store. If you're heading down Ray I'd look forward to your thoughts. We're in the process of getting our house knocked down and rebuilt so I'm running a little system in the apartment we'll be staying in for the next 12 months. It's comprised of the following:

Source: Microrendu + LPS1 + Giesler LPS

DAC/Pre: Chord DAVE

Amp: Naksa 80

Speakers: ML1 Reference

Very, very happy with the sound. It's dynamic, perhaps a touch forward of neutral through the upper mid-range and treble but never fatiguing. I do wonder if Special 40's would be a good match just to try something different. I have a pair of Focus 110's I'll be listing soon. I may try them in the same system and compare and contrast as I'd imagine while they would quite a few steps below the Special 40's they'd share some element of Dyn's house sound.

11 hours ago, audio_file said:

The special 40 finish looks good compared to the cheaper Dynaudios, but isn't as good as the Contour S1.4 LE and Confidence C1 Platinum.

I dont think the Contour series has as good a finish as the Confidence either (not sure about the very latest though) it doesn't seem to have as many layers of gloss over the veneer, not as shiny or mirror like, which is understandable given the price differential. I have owned a couple of Confidence platinum models and the 3.4 Le in mocha and it was noticeable straight away.

39 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Doh! Won't be able to head down to Lifestyle store. If you're heading down Ray I'd look forward to your thoughts. We're in the process of getting our house knocked down and rebuilt so I'm running a little system in the apartment we'll be staying in for the next 12 months. It's comprised of the following:

Source: Microrendu + LPS1 + Giesler LPS

DAC/Pre: Chord DAVE

Amp: Naksa 80

Speakers: ML1 Reference

Very, very happy with the sound. It's dynamic, perhaps a touch forward of neutral through the upper mid-range and treble but never fatiguing. I do wonder if Special 40's would be a good match just to try something different. I have a pair of Focus 110's I'll be listing soon. I may try them in the same system and compare and contrast as I'd imagine while they would quite a few steps below the Special 40's they'd share some element of Dyn's house sound.

I'm not going to go soapy or I would probably put a deposit on a pair. If the pre order is high 3k, it could be worthwhile.

I have a new pair of platinum C2 coming so I don't want to get in further trouble with the house boss..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I dont think the Contour series has as good a finish as the Confidence either (not sure about the very latest though) it doesn't seem to have as many layers of gloss over the veneer, not as shiny or mirror like, which is understandable given the price differential. I have owned a couple of Confidence platinum models and the 3.4 Le in mocha and it was noticeable straight away.

I still got you "old" mocha 3.4LE. Perhaps I should post a picture of it to remind you how glossy it looks.;) As for the new Contour, check this 

The finish is not too shabby in my book. As for your new C2 what you going to drive them with I wondered?

• Like 1